being a dealer tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work in a dealership I am good with our techs
Here are causes for concern I have heard about
1) as previously posted get it IN Writing what you will be paid and exactly how and when.
2) even if you punch for times on tickets, keep a daily notebook and mark that time spend on each repair. The best log I've seen at work is the repair ticket number and the start stop times for each line with a total underneath.
Or download a work clock ap to tap start stop times on tickets.
This way you have no worries about your punch time pay .
If its warranty we notice a lot that incomplete stories lead to trouble getting paid so remember to story your lines!
Try and snoop a bit to see how much warranty vs bread and butter you will be getting.
Will you bring your own tools and what types of shop tools are available. If you have to spend money to make money make sure its worth it .
We send our techs to school almost weekly to add training. Keep an open mind and accept as much as you can.if you do go elsewhere and you are Chrysler certified or ford certified even if its a different brand dealerships will be more willing to negotiate pay and more willing to put money into further training. Plus- non brand non warranty items fall into your lap easier with cross brand training.

I already up sell whenever I can. But I'm always honest about it. If it needs something it needs ort if not i don't lie.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I already up sell whenever I can. But I'm always honest about it. If it needs something it needs ort if not i don't lie.

You seem like exactly the kind of employee that dealerships need to
help improve their reputations!

ram man, The best of luck to you, and if I lived in your area, I'd certainly be happy to use your services.

Oh, and keep us updated about how things are going...will you?

I will definitely keep you all informed. I've dealt with him professionally and as a customer undo believe he is a good guy.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any idea what is the hourly pay of a flat rate tech ?

Wayyyyy back when in the 80's I made nearly 60k and worked 45-50 hours a week at a local Oldsmobile dealership. BD is right, they really like upsells and add ons. I got out because of the lack of workmanship and pride in the shop.

There's good money if you hustle...

What about starting pay today 2014 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back