Charged By Dogs on Bicycle (Different Dogs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im licensed to carry and have never shot an animal.

What's your point?
I'm also curious.....
Why are you bringing a gun to a fight where a (in ascending order of injury) pepper spray/mace, or knife, THEN a gun. BB and or Airsoft wouldn't hurt them enough to get the point across?

The question is:

Do you let the dog bite you before you pull the trigger?

From a legal standpoint, it looks better if you're dripping with blood before the cop shows up.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I told the story in another thread that was similar to this one but I'm going to tell it again here:

Both my buddy, my father and myself were attacked by two dogs that lived down the road from us on many an occasion. The owners would do nothing about it even after numerous complaints. They attacked my buddy's dad (who was arguably clinical) after he lost his license for the 25th time, which resulted in him biking it, so he just came back later, shot the pair of them, and threw them in the marsh. Problem solved.

The almost amusing part of that was that after the dogs "went missing" the people went door to door asking if anybody saw their dogs. When they knocked on ours my father responded that he wasn't surprised that they were gone given the myriad of complaints about their behavior and the seemingly obvious inability to keep them under control.

I have no doubt in my mind that if they knocked on my buddy's dad's door that he told them point blank that he blew their brains out on their front lawn and tossed them in the marsh after they attacked him. He wasn't shy. He wasn't overly sane either.

LMAO, I don't care for animals (my wife is an animal lover!). This is absolutely hilarious...around where I live 99% of the dog owners and their dogs are well behaved but I have been to places where the dogs are out of control and need to be taken care of the way they were in that story.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The question is:

From a legal standpoint, it looks better if you're dripping with blood before the cop shows up.

Absolutely not. That would be totally wrong-headed thinking. In fact, no one who thinks that way should even carry a firearm.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of a more stupid thing to do than to let an attacking dog bite me before shooting it if I were armed. For one thing, you never know the dog's vaccination status. It could have rabies, or you could get a serious bacterial infection from the bite. Not to mention the trauma from the bite itself.

If you are carrying a firearm, and a dog is able to attack and bite you (I'm talking about a larger dog that could do real damage), shame on you. You failed at defending yourself from injury.

Having to shoot an animal is a last resort. I would really hate to have to defend myself in that way. I would try other options first (yell, retreat). That said, decisions have to be made quickly in certain situations, and I'll be derned if I'm going to let a dog get a chance to bite me if I'm armed. Heck, it would have to be a very determined and ballsy dog to get in a bite on me even if I'm not armed, because if that dog gets close enough to me to bite, I'm gonna do as much damage as I can, starting with a good, swift kick.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The question is:

Lets see, big dog is going to bite me, and I have a gun on me. Big dog dies before I get bitten, it's that simple. Little dog tries to bite me, he gets kicked before he bites me. Again, it's that simple. There is no way I'm going to allow a dog to bite me to improve my case with the police or the owner of the dog. Dogs should not be allowed off leash when people they don't know are around them.

FTR I'm a dog lover.

On a ride a few years back, I was chased by a neighborhood pit bull. A regular thing. He was fast, but I was faster, most days. One day, I could not outrun him (tired and headwind) I pulled my gun on the dog. He understood! Weird.

Anyway, we now have an "understanding". The dog comes out of the yard, but stays away from me always. I stop to pet his "buddy". It's really a strange situation, as the aggressive dog wants to be pet too, but won't come near me. Hahahahaha!

The officer was probably cousins with the parents.

That picture and story sadly in mind makes me think what I think of the South....

Looking at that dwelling,my reason to carry would be geared towards whatever resides inside rather than the dogs.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I rode bicycles all my life, up until knee and achilles issues made it unenjoyable anymore. In all that time...40 years...I think I've been endangered by a dog MAYBE twice? Never bitten nor has a dog caused the bike to spill either.
I've had FAR, FAR, more dangerous issues with cars than any dog.
What am I saying, exactly? Well....just that sometimes dogs can be very aggressive in behavior but often cease just before you think they will actually attack. I've noticed on a few rides that dogs will make a huge fuss as you approach territory they see as something to 'protect'. Generally, as you go past and away from the property they will back off.
Your situation strikes me as highly unusual in my experience. It certainly sounds like, from your description, they WOULD have attacked. You did the right thing by dismounting and facing them on the hill.
As many have stated, bear/dog/pepper spray would have worked very well and not have been as extreme (and in my opinion...WAY overboard) as using a firearm. Keep in mind that I am all three things...a dog lover, a former cyclist, and a gun owner. But some of these cowboy types that use colorful words and bravado about why you should be armed is....well...kind of alarming.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do in the future regarding this issue.

Well, I don't know where you were riding, but this is the northern outskirts of Nashville, TN. I'm talking a fairly rural, but still very populated area. Junkyards, mobile homes, farmland, businesses, as well as houses. Lots of people let their dogs run free. Most of the dogs just sit in their yard and watch me ride by. I can deal with loose dogs as long as they don't come out into the street to attack me (I was actually bitten by a single dog a few weeks ago - there is a thread about it). I really don't like loose dogs at all, because I ride motorcycles too, and they've wrecked friends of mine, and almost wrecked me. Matter of fact that's how I first learned to endo my R1 - a dog ran out in front of me.

I actually am waiting for my handgun carry permit to arrive in the mail. I had one years ago but let it expire. Recently, after the first dog attack, and in consideration of increasing crime, I decided to go through the steps again and re-acquire my HCP.

I am an avid shooter and own several firearms, including a Glock 36, which will likely be my bicycle gun until I get myself a pocket-carry pistol (currently lookikg at the Kahr PM9 and the Sig P938).

I've ridden in all types of locations. Roads amid farmland....rural, low-income areas....paved bicycle trails....cities....fire roads....and single track mountain trails. In all that time the most dangerous situations involved motorized vehicles. Sometimes the people inside those vehicles in low-life areas would very occasionally hassle me or throw something out the window at me. Dogs were almost never an issue.

Toward the end of my riding days I had strongly considered carrying a small handgun due to being harassed a few times. I had a beer bottle thrown at me and had the vehicle stop about 20 yards ahead of me...waiting for a confrontation. I was ready for one, as my temper was flaring. As I approached...they suddenly fled.

At that point I began riding on paved trails and gave up risking my life on roads shared with vehicles. Just not worth it, nor did the thought of needing to carry a firearm while trying to relax and enjoy a ride seem like a good decision.

It's too bad that you can't get the authorities to do anything. It's also a shame that you have to ride in such questionable areas. I would not find that enjoyable.

It's also too bad so many dogs are raised in a way that they turn out like this and others feel forced to shoot them. Just sad and another indication of our sometimes crummy society.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
On a ride a few years back, I was chased by a neighborhood pit bull. A regular thing. He was fast, but I was faster, most days. One day, I could not outrun him (tired and headwind) I pulled my gun on the dog. He understood! Weird.

Anyway, we now have an "understanding". The dog comes out of the yard, but stays away from me always. I stop to pet his "buddy". It's really a strange situation, as the aggressive dog wants to be pet too, but won't come near me. Hahahahaha!

I believe this dog wants you to be assertive and for you to show him you are a dominate leader. I am a reformed Pit Bull hater. I despised the breed before I rescued a Pit Bull pup now I have found out what many Pit Bull owners know and historically have known. Pit Bull's can be the most loyal and non aggressive dog to people in the canine world and I actually prefer the breed to all others. The issue is Pit Bulls are a very strong and athletic breed that needs to have a strong willed attentive owner. Pit Bulls are so loyal they will do whatever their owner teaches them without question or fail. Combine all the strong traits of a Pit Bull with a bung hole owner or a lackadaisical unattentive owner you have a recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

That is funny.

I rode bicycles all my life, up until knee and achilles issues made it unenjoyable anymore. In all that time...40 years...I think I've been endangered by a dog MAYBE twice? Never bitten nor has a dog caused the bike to spill either.
I've had FAR, FAR, more dangerous issues with cars than any dog.
What am I saying, exactly? Well....just that sometimes dogs can be very aggressive in behavior but often cease just before you think they will actually attack. I've noticed on a few rides that dogs will make a huge fuss as you approach territory they see as something to 'protect'. Generally, as you go past and away from the property they will back off.
Your situation strikes me as highly unusual in my experience. It certainly sounds like, from your description, they WOULD have attacked. You did the right thing by dismounting and facing them on the hill.
As many have stated, bear/dog/pepper spray would have worked very well and not have been as extreme (and in my opinion...WAY overboard) as using a firearm. Keep in mind that I am all three things...a dog lover, a former cyclist, and a gun owner. But some of these cowboy types that use colorful words and bravado about why you should be armed is....well...kind of alarming.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do in the future regarding this issue.

Well, I don't know where you were riding, but this is the northern outskirts of Nashville, TN. I'm talking a fairly rural, but still very populated area. Junkyards, mobile homes, farmland, businesses, as well as houses. Lots of people let their dogs run free. Most of the dogs just sit in their yard and watch me ride by. I can deal with loose dogs as long as they don't come out into the street to attack me (I was actually bitten by a single dog a few weeks ago - there is a thread about it). I really don't like loose dogs at all, because I ride motorcycles too, and they've wrecked friends of mine, and almost wrecked me. Matter of fact that's how I first learned to endo my R1 - a dog ran out in front of me.

I actually am waiting for my handgun carry permit to arrive in the mail. I had one years ago but let it expire. Recently, after the first dog attack, and in consideration of increasing crime, I decided to go through the steps again and re-acquire my HCP.

I am an avid shooter and own several firearms, including a Glock 36, which will likely be my bicycle gun until I get myself a pocket-carry pistol (currently lookikg at the Kahr PM9 and the Sig P938).

I've ridden in all types of locations. Roads amid farmland....rural, low-income areas....paved bicycle trails....cities....fire roads....and single track mountain trails. In all that time the most dangerous situations involved motorized vehicles. Sometimes the people inside those vehicles in low-life areas would very occasionally hassle me or throw something out the window at me. Dogs were almost never an issue.

Toward the end of my riding days I had strongly considered carrying a small handgun due to being harassed a few times. I had a beer bottle thrown at me and had the vehicle stop about 20 yards ahead of me...waiting for a confrontation. I was ready for one, as my temper was flaring. As I approached...they suddenly fled.

At that point I began riding on paved trails and gave up risking my life on roads shared with vehicles. Just not worth it, nor did the thought of needing to carry a firearm while trying to relax and enjoy a ride seem like a good decision.

It's too bad that you can't get the authorities to do anything. It's also a shame that you have to ride in such questionable areas. I would not find that enjoyable.

It's also too bad so many dogs are raised in a way that they turn out like this and others feel forced to shoot them. Just sad and another indication of our sometimes crummy society.

Well, all I can say is that you've been very fortunate. Around here, aggressive dogs running loose is a problem.

Well, all I can say is that you've been very fortunate. Around here, aggressive dogs running loose is a problem.

I have heard fixing dogs in the south from a southerner is not something that is done often or pushed? Is that really true?

Originally Posted By: rjundi

I have heard fixing dogs in the south from a southerner is not something that is done often or pushed? Is that really true?

I'm not sure it's any more of a problem here than most other places. There are irresponsible people everywhere.

I really don't like loose dogs at all, because I ride motorcycles too, and they've wrecked friends of mine, and almost wrecked me. Matter of fact that's how I first learned to endo my R1 - a dog ran out in front of me.

I had an encounter with a dog that ran out in front of me, while I was riding a Honda XL dual-purpose bike. He came sprinting out of a sideyard of a rural house, I was hard on the brakes until it was obvious he was going to be right in front of me when our trajectories met.

So at the last second I got off the brakes, stood up, and acted like I was riding over a log while off-road. I managed to keep the bike from crashing, and then pulled over and stopped. The dog was taking it's last breaths when I walked back to check on it.

So I walked up to the house and told the owners their dog was running loose, and I had been unable to avoid hitting it when it ran out in front of me.

They of course started to swear at me, and I replied that unlike them, I am an animal lover, and would never allow a dog that I cared about to run loose in the roadway to be hit. Furthermore, they are lucky I wasn't also injured or killed due to their negligence.

Had I been on one of the Sportbikes I've owned over the years, which lacked the ground clearance and longer suspension travel, the outcome for me could have been a lot worse.

The bottom line is if you own Dogs, and care at all about them, don't let them run free where they or others can come to harm.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Disappointed! The title suggested you were charged at by dogs riding bicycles

1251663059_dalmatian-riding-bike.gif

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Disappointed! The title suggested you were charged at by dogs riding bicycles

1251663059_dalmatian-riding-bike.gif

The title says "dogs on bicycle."

I take that to mean several dogs on a tandem thing.. like the book Go Dog Go.

File your report with Animal Control make sure to point out they are vicious and a potentially deadly threat to others as well. Insist that the officers have the report put on official record at the agency. This is your insurance policy.

Next time the dogs approach you off the owners property take your pistol and shoot to KILL ALL THOSE DOGS...problem solved... permanently.

Fact is that if more victims terminated vicious animals the owners wouldn't be so arrogant about letting them run at large.

Last edited:
Using a gun on a dog would be my last resort. I'd be more concerned about what's beyond the dog. Mace or pepper spray would be first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back