Corolla 1/2 quart too much ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Corolla, I did a drain and fill and thought I got out 3 quarts but it turned out after measuring I only got out 2 1/2 quarts. I put in 3 quarts before I had measured the old fluid that had come out. Everywhere I've looked anyone who has done a drain and fill on these cars has gotten at least 3 quarts out. Now I'm wondering if it was a little low from the factory. I measured the fluid with the car on and after a 30 minute highway drive and it reads just a little bit above the hot mark. Should I just leave it alone or drain some out? Would 1/2 quart too much ATF hurt the tranny? It seems to shift the same or better than before the drain.

Last edited:
Should be fine with that small of an amount. I would wait a few days and check it again hot and see. If it's only a little above i wouldn't worry.

I have heard of rare cases of a 3+ quart overfill causing over heating issues, but that was on GM transmissions and obviously much more overfull.

My '10 Corolla only takes 2 1/2 quarts on a Drain & Fill when the Torque Converter is fully charged, If I let it sit for a week or so, I can get 3 quarts out of it.

Overfilling a Auto Trans is not good, The fluid expanse when warmed up, If the fluid level get into the spinning Drums or Planets.....The ATF will Foam.

It should never read above the HOT mark on the dipstick, 30 minutes on the freeway did not fully warm the fluid.

Let the car sit overnight, Drain a 1/2 quart, Adjust ATF level to the Cold mark.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
30 minutes on the freeway did not fully warm the fluid.

If that did not get the fluid to normal operating temp what does?

You're fine.

My 2000 Neon holds according to the manual holds 2.7 to 2.8 qts and I bought 3 quarts and tried getting all 3 quarts into it. Did I?, no but I tired.
Neon Fill hole is on the side. Will be doing a drain (Mobil 1) and fill (Redline) next month at 140k. Records showed that I did it on 10/15/2013 @ 115,300. After that I won't be doing another one since I'm not keeping the car after 2016.

Yep leave it ur fine! I didnt measure wat came out..just drained and added 3 quart bottles. It reads above the high but i left as is. No issues.

I wouldn't stress it. Check the level and next time you're doing an oil change you can drain and fill to the correct level.

I had to remove the pan on mine to get even close to 3 quarts. I'm sure there's more in there, it never stopped dripping.

I recommend removing the pan and changing the filter (yes it's a filter, my local dealer is still convinced it's only a screen).

I wouldn't stress it either, I ended up putting 2 3/4 quarts in my wife's Corolla when I did the drain/fill a month ago. It was just a tad over the full mark.

Last edited:
I went ahead and drained out 1/2 quart, I checked it cold after going through all of the gears and pausing in each gear for ten seconds. With the car in park and the engine running the fluid reads near the bottom of the cold reading on the dipstick. I'm sure that when adding fluid through the dip stick that might skew the results a bit when you check the level right afterwards. I'll check the cold level tomorrow in the morning then take it out for a long drive and check the hot level. I'm now pretty sure 2 1/2 quarts is the right amount for a drain and fill on this car.

Originally Posted By: tnt31
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
30 minutes on the freeway did not fully warm the fluid.

If that did not get the fluid to normal operating temp what does?

Stop & Go driving Heats the Fluid a lot faster, On the highway with the Converter locked I doubt it got over 150 degrees.

Originally Posted By: Corollaman
I went ahead and drained out 1/2 quart, I checked it cold after going through all of the gears and pausing in each gear for ten seconds. With the car in park and the engine running the fluid reads near the bottom of the cold reading on the dipstick. I'm sure that when adding fluid through the dip stick that might skew the results a bit when you check the level right afterwards. I'll check the cold level tomorrow in the morning then take it out for a long drive and check the hot level. I'm now pretty sure 2 1/2 quarts is the right amount for a drain and fill on this car.

You did the right thing, Manufactures don't mark Hot & Cold levels for peoples amusement, And it usually states right on the dipstick to NOT overfill the Transmission.

This board is full of people that are sticklers for correct procedure, Then I post....All the sudden procedure is wrong somehow??

Hot level check is a must.
Cold level check is just to give you a safe level for the warmup drive to get to the hot level.

Drain/refill amounts will vary with time allowed to drain, and vehicle level(on ground, on front or rear ramps, single corner jackstand...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back