Mobil 1 Mix better than Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
my point was that two Mobil products with similar additive packages and base oil blends are likely to yield a much more predictable end product than mixing products from competing blenders whose additive packages look nothing alike on paper and utilize completely different base oils.

hmmm interesting perspective, I'm gonna look into that, even though I intend to use Mobil 1 (AFE or EP) & 0w40

Originally Posted By: Artem

Regarding regular engine oil, every bottle clearly says that the oil is compatible with other oils, so I imagine that they all pretty much have the same properties, just at different levels and mixing oil A and B will not cause a catastrophic mixture of non lubricating oil that destroys the engine in a hurry.

All the ASTM standard says is that the oils won't split like a salad dressing when mixed, cooled, heated, cooled and thawed...that's it.

It doesn't test for compatible additives, synergistic effect or anythign just that it doesn't split like salad dressing.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Yep, that's where I started reading about the idea. My oil knowledge is limited to what I read on BITOG and the tech data sheets, but it's starting to seem like a no-brainer if going with Mobil products in this viscosity range.

You should stop right there and just go back to what your owner's manual advises. Most of your "knowledge" is just speculation by people who don't know anymore than you. There are a handful of people here worth listening to, and you don't seem to have identified them.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
hmmm interesting perspective, I'm gonna look into that, even though I intend to use Mobil 1 (AFE or EP) & 0w40

How are you going to "look into it" ?

There is no source for factual information about mixing oils.

It's just people who play chemists or petroleum engineers on the internet.

M1 5-30 will lube your engine well for 600,000 mile. A mix will go for 599,999 miles. Mixing oils are old school and have no value today.
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Ridiculous. Maybe the Mobil engineers, you know the ones with the actual performance information on their oils, should check this thread out so they can make a better oil. Imagine the millions they could have saved by just getting a $20 VOA to design an oil......

Do you honestly think oil manufacturers produce and sell us the BEST they can manufacture? The reality is, they blend oil to give us the MINIMUM protection needed, to get the job done. The millions of cars on the road today simply don't need more.

Even with that in mind, engines will outlast the body of the car with regular oil changes.

You think oil manufacturers will sell us the top of the line blend for $25.99 at Walmart?!
crackmeup2.gif

If synthetic oil was the same, why would auto manufacturers specify a certain oil requirements just for their engines? Take BMW for example and their specs for oil.

Bottled oil is designed with a certain performance in mind. Mobil 1s EP line is designed with extended drains in mind. Another oil is designed for performance and doesn't care about extended drain additives. This is where blending a Caterham mix might just produce a strong blend as the end result.

You forgot to add IMO at the end of your post.

How many promoting blending here are prepared to offer a warranty to back up the performance of their blend ?.

What is promoted here may sound good, but in actual practice what has been blended is anyone's guess unless it is tested to some standard IMO.

Pure fantasy and guess work IMO. From what I read here should oil manufacturers should be queuing at Caterham's door waiting to buy the patent rights to for the blends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

How are you going to "look into it" ?

There is no source for factual information about mixing oils.

It's just people who play chemists or petroleum engineers on the internet.

Petroleum Engineers get their bread & butter by getting molecules out from underground where they've been stewing for millions of years to market.

(Some) Chemical Engineers get their bread & butter manipulating said molecules.
56.gif

So is the term "exceeds" manufacturer's recommendations just marketing hype? As an example - "exceeds Dexos requirements".

Are they giving us a better oil than we need?

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Bottled oil is designed with a certain performance in mind. Mobil 1s EP line is designed with extended drains in mind. Another oil is designed for performance and doesn't care about extended drain additives. This is where blending a Caterham mix might just produce a strong blend as the end result.

You forgot to add IMO at the end of your post.

How many promoting blending here are prepared to offer a warranty to back up the performance of their blend ?.

What is promoted here may sound good, but in actual practice what has been blended is anyone's guess unless it is tested to some standard IMO.

Pure fantasy and guess work IMO. From what I read here should oil manufacturers should be queuing at Caterham's door waiting to buy the patent rights to for the blends.

Bear in mind that the ASTM that he quotes as ensuring the compatibility of blends ONLY tests that the oil doesn't split like a salad dressing, not that the additives are compatible, synergistic, or antagonistic.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3509083/Re:_The_oft_quoted_ASTM_D6922#Post3509083

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Originally Posted By: splinter
The so-called CATERHAM Blend comes to mind with special recipes such as the one you're contemplating.

Perhaps he'll see your thread in due course...

Yep, that's where I started reading about the idea. My oil knowledge is limited to what I read on BITOG and the tech data sheets, but it's starting to seem like a no-brainer if going with Mobil products in this viscosity range.

You're not gaining much advantage if you're using M1 AFE 0W-20 blended with M1 0W-40. It's using TGMO with it's very low 37.2cSt KV40 spec' that allows` one to blend a 0W-30 that's lighter on start-up than all 5W-20s and even most 0W-20s (including AFE 0W-20) at typical start-up temp's as high as room temperature.

Presumably you're comparing a TGMO/M1 0W-40 blend vs M1 AFE 0W-30 and M1 5W-30.
While the blend will be lighter at typical start-up temp's vs AFE, AFE will still have an extreme cold performance advantage although it doesn't get cold enough in your climate for that to be the case plus you have the blends higher AW additive level.

Compared to M1 5W-30 the 0W-30 blend will of course be much lighter at all start-up temp's, in fact you could blend a heavy (75/25) version of the oil targeting a HTHSV of 3.5cP for European applications and it would still be lighter on start-up at all temp's up to 40C.

So IMO there isn't much not to like with the various versions of the blend. The only drawback is that it's of course not warranty approved where a 5W-30 grade is specified, not because it's a blend, you can use a blend of any two or more approved brands of the specified grade but rather because the grades it's derived from aren't specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back