Pocket Pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
Don't leave out small revolvers. Tiny autos are not a reliable as their larger counter parts. .380 performance is marginal too.

True! i carry fmj's in my .380 as i think penetration in marginal in this caliber.
There are a few small revolvers that that fit the bill. S+W 642 and the 340 are interesting.

The S&W .22 magnum J frames are interesting if you're worried about capacity. Seven shots. The .22 mag Gold Dots look like they perform decent. I'd trust them as much as a .380. Recoil would be minimal as well. I like the .327 concept. Six shots in a J sized gun.

Last edited:
Don't leave out small revolvers. Tiny autos are not a reliable as their larger counter parts. .380 performance is marginal too.

You're right, but revolvers can malfunction too.

I actually just looked at a Ruger LCR. Nice, but only 5 shots...

I'm really looking for something the size of the Kahr.

Just left the LGS... They had a used PM9 Kahr and let me put 5 rds thru it.

I want one!

Great ergos, great trigger, very accurate (shot at a 1" spot from 15 ft and put 4/5 rounds in it - the flyer was my fault), easy to shoot, and very manageable recoil, at least with regular 115-gr hardball.

Tried it oit with a pocket holster and I'm sold... I don't even care to look at anything else, really.

Also looked at the Sig P938. It's a very nice pistol with a crisp SA trigger pull...but it's hammer-fired, and I prefer a striker-fired gun for pocket carry. Looked at a Solo Carry also, but the trigger didn't feel as good as the Kahr or the Sig.

Now I just need to save for a PM9!

For pocket carry I have the S&W Bodyguard 380. I really like it. One reason I picked the Bodyguard, was the manual safety. That makes me feel better about having it in my pocket. It doesn't hurt my hand to shoot and I can shoot it well. I also like the sights better than most of the other pocket pistols. The laser is cheesy though, and mine stopped working a long time ago. I never used it, so I never looked into having it fixed.

The S&W .22 magnum J frames are interesting if you're worried about capacity. Seven shots. The .22 mag Gold Dots look like they perform decent. I'd trust them as much as a .380. Recoil would be minimal as well. I like the .327 concept. Six shots in a J sized gun.

If Ruger would introduce the LCR in 327Mag I would have a hard time saying no. I probably would like 32H&R loads better, but rated for the Magnums would be nice. Now a seven shot H&R....

Originally Posted By: supton

If Ruger would introduce the LCR in 327Mag I would have a hard time saying no. I probably would like 32H&R loads better, but rated for the Magnums would be nice. Now a seven shot H&R....

Yeah, I stuck an LCR in my pocket yesterday, and it was OK, but, compared to a real small 9mm like the PM9 or P938, the handle stuck too far up in my pocket, and, of course, the cylinder is wide.

But...a .357 MAG is a lot of comfort in your pocket.

I've always liked the old saying...a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

Sadly, the .327's meager popularity seems to have already peaked. I don't think H&R did the .32 cal any favors with their round. Why they designed a modern cartridge with 100 year old pressure specs is beyond me. Had they at least split the difference between the .38 and .357 pressure I suspect it would have became a little more popular. Revolvers were still very popular in the 80s. The .327 is now fighting for a niche market inside of a niche market.

Last edited:

Sadly, the .327's meager popularity seems to have already peaked. I don't think H&R did the .32 cal any favors with their round. Why they designed a modern cartridge with 100 year old pressure specs is beyond me. Had they at least split the difference between the .38 and .357 pressure I suspect it would have became a little more popular. Revolvers were still very popular in the 80s. The .327 is now fighting for a niche market inside of a niche market.

Yes, it has peaked, and likely will be dropped altogether. I agree on 32h&r, pressure wise it was more of a special than a magnum. Which is ok by me. I don't like the blast and noise from a short barrel gun. At least with the introduction of 327 one did have several loading levels.

But all moot now, it seems.

I use the following:

Kel-Tec P3AT 380 = flawless! Any ammo, any time.
Ruger LCP 380 = Won't feed all that well, have to manually push the slide forward sometimes. Does best on FMJ.
Colt Mustang Pocket lite 380 = Really well made, mostly reliable, but a bit picky on ammo type. Jammed once lately.
Smith Revolver 38 snub nose. Works every time.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Just left the LGS... They had a used PM9 Kahr and let me put 5 rds thru it.

I want one!

Great ergos, great trigger, very accurate (shot at a 1" spot from 15 ft and put 4/5 rounds in it - the flyer was my fault), easy to shoot, and very manageable recoil, at least with regular 115-gr hardball.

Tried it oit with a pocket holster and I'm sold... I don't even care to look at anything else, really.

Also looked at the Sig P938. It's a very nice pistol with a crisp SA trigger pull...but it's hammer-fired, and I prefer a striker-fired gun for pocket carry. Looked at a Solo Carry also, but the trigger didn't feel as good as the Kahr or the Sig.

Now I just need to save for a PM9!

I think you made a good choice. The PM9 would certainly be on my short list. I too much prefer pocket carry, my Ruger SR-9C fits in just fine.

My pocket carry/BUG is a NAA Black Widow, 22mag. Never leave home with out it. Often carry my S&W 37 iwb, as well.

I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P-32 and I IWB holster carry a Smith Shield 9. The P-32 is a great little pocket rocket. It shoots .32ACP, which isn't the stoutest round available, but it works well for lighter clothing common in the southeast in the summer. And the gun is so dadgum light (6 oz), that you'll carry it everywhere, which is a sure advantage over the gun that you don't feel like carrying because it's too heavy or too large.

The P-32 is nearly identical to the P-3AT with the exception that the P-32 has a slide stop, where the P-3AT does not. In my personal opinion, a slide stop is a necessary piece of equipment on a handgun and I will not own a gun without one. Otherwise, I'd use the P-3AT. The triggers on both are excellent self defense triggers. They have long pulls, but aren't all that heavy (about 5 pounds), and they're very smooth. My P-32 rides in an inexpensive Blackhawk or DeSantis pocket holster. I can't hardly tell it's there most of the time.

The Shield is too large/heavy for me to pocket carry. A friend of mine has a Kel-Tec PF-9, which I'd like to try someday. It'd be the most pocketable of the 9mms for me I think.

I have no desire for a $500+ pocket gun, so some of the other choices are ruled out for me.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P-32 and I IWB holster carry a Smith Shield 9. The P-32 is a great little pocket rocket. It shoots .32ACP, which isn't the stoutest round available, but it works well for lighter clothing common in the southeast in the summer. And the gun is so dadgum light (6 oz), that you'll carry it everywhere, which is a sure advantage over the gun that you don't feel like carrying because it's too heavy or too large.

The P-32 is nearly identical to the P-3AT with the exception that the P-32 has a slide stop, where the P-3AT does not. In my personal opinion, a slide stop is a necessary piece of equipment on a handgun and I will not own a gun without one. Otherwise, I'd use the P-3AT. The triggers on both are excellent self defense triggers. They have long pulls, but aren't all that heavy (about 5 pounds), and they're very smooth. My P-32 rides in an inexpensive Blackhawk or DeSantis pocket holster. I can't hardly tell it's there most of the time.

The Shield is too large/heavy for me to pocket carry. A friend of mine has a Kel-Tec PF-9, which I'd like to try someday. It'd be the most pocketable of the 9mms for me I think.

I have no desire for a $500+ pocket gun, so some of the other choices are ruled out for me.

Nice review! What's the capacity of the P-32?

The Ruger LCP is fantastic. Its a direct copy of the Kel-Tec P3AT, but Ruger redesigned the extractor and some other parts of the gun and generally refined it. Mine has about 1200 rounds of various FMJ and hollow points and has not jammed once. I carry it when I cant carry anything else.

My Smith hammerless J frame model 340 is the gun that goes with me when I have a little more pocket room (most of the time). It is 100% reliable, has good stopping power with proper ammo, and is easily concealed in a pocket with a pocket holster. A lot of younger or inexperienced guys automatically turn their nose up at them because they are a revolver and only have 5 shots. They are doing a huge disservice to themselves by neglecting to consider the small J frame revolvers for carry. The Smith model 340/642/442 are fantastic. Heavy triggers, but you can get a trigger job or drop in trigger kit from Apex tactical to fix that. I carry a speedloader and a speed strip when carrying this. You can reload this gun quickly with practice.

The Ruger LCR is a fantastic revolver too. Great trigger, reliable, and lightweight. I own one but it is absolutely unpocketable as is. The included Hogue grip is HUGE and not made for pocket carry, in my opinion. You will need to add Crimson Trace grips or the Ruger boot grip to the LCR to make it suitable for pocket carry.

ANYTHING made by Kahr is not a good defensive use firearm, PERIOD. I've owned at least 10 of them and put thousands of rounds though them. I keep giving them another shot. I've sent them back to the factory for repair. They are just range toys. Seriously, do not consider a Kahr pistol for defensive use. The design is simply not 100% there. As to a used one at a gun shop, are you CRAZY?? Used Kahr pistols are GUARANTEED to be junk jammomatics. People hold onto the decent Kahr pistols and trade in the junk ones. I highly recommend that you don't get a used Kahr pistol, or even a Kahr pistol at all.

Diamondback firearms. These clowns couldn't put a Lego set together correctly. These guns are junk, junk, junk. Diamondback should stick to what it knows, which is building boats. Diamondback is a boat company first, and a machine shop that assembles junk guns second.

I pocket carry a Glock 26 about 3 days out of the month. It is pretty large and only fits in a few of my pants. It obviously is a great defensive firearm.

In summary, the best pocket pistol you can get is one that is reliable first and small enough for you to carry every day. If it is too large, you wont carry it. Seriously consider looking at a J-frame. You might change your mind if you get more informed on the subject. I got at least 7 or 8 cops at my former dept to trade in their pocket autos for a j-frame once they got over the stigma and realized what a great defensive use firearm they are, especially as back up guns and off duty pocket carry guns.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Nice review! What's the capacity of the P-32?

It's 7+1 with the included flush magazine. You can get aftermarket +1 extensions and factory +3 extensions, for 8 and 10 rounds in the magazine respectively. The magazines are high quality pieces made by Mec-Gar.

What's kind of neat about this pistol is the plastic grip is not structural as it is on most larger polymer firearms; the actual frame of the pistol is machined out of a piece of aluminum, and that's the "gun". You can actually swap grips somewhat easily (to change color, etc). The P-32 is one of the guns that started the pocket pistol market back in the very late '90s. Fully loaded, the thing's less than 10 oz in weight. Inside a small pocket holster, it very easily fits into a pocket of jeans or shorts, or in the inner breast pocket of a blazer or suit coat. Made in America in Cocoa, Florida.

Kel-Tec's own P-3AT is based off the P-32, with the omission of the P-32's internal slide stop for compactness with the larger .380 ACP round. I guess by extension, one could say that the Ruger LCP is based on the P-32 as well, if you accept the story that the LCP is a copy of the P-3AT.

Here are some pictures of mine that I took during a deep cleaning after I bought it.

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

As to the Kahr, I'll be the judge of that - I plan to buy one eventually. I will shoot hundreds of rounds through it in different situations, and will definitely post my opinion here.

I agree with you on the revolvers - they should definitely not be discounted.

Heck, I need one of everything!

I have shot a couple Kahrs and they worked for me. And I once had a CZ that was a jam o matic. Everyone makes a bad functioning gun. Some just do it more often. Im happy with my Bersa 380 in summer and my Steyr M9 and Beretta PX4 in winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back