looking of opinion... oil for cherokee 4.0 DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im currently running Kendall Full Syn 10w30. Unit is a 1996 Cherokee with 4.0L and 153,000. This vehicle has basically been a play vehicle since I acquired it from my father in law, but is now a daily driver (in town mostly, short trips). He always used the cheapest 10W30 that was available to him.

So what you all you 4.0 lovers out there using?

a search will give enough info to bore you......

BUT I will bite !

I always use a HDEO in my 4.0's,
currently I'm running Rotella T5 in the XJ and Rotella T6 in the WJ.

IMO there is not an oil that does much better than Rotella in these 4.0s. That being said they will run decent on almost anything, but seem to prefer a heavier 30wt or 40wt.

(currently waiting on the ZDDP debate to start
35.gif
)

Last edited:
I'd run 15w40 hdeo in the spring/summer, and t5 10w30 in the mid-fall/winter/early spring

Good information - if using a HDEO like Rotella try to stay with 10W30 ... Another good oil is Pennzoil HM 10W30 as KCJeep tested Pennzoil HM oil in the jeep 4.0L and found it to be the quietest of the HM oils he experimented with . The Pennzoil 10W30 HM add pack is outstanding as well - perhaps the best buy for the money while next would be the Rotella 10W30 T5 and T6 (if you have no serious leaks).
Originally Posted By: wsar10
a search will give enough info to bore you......

BUT I will bite !

I always use a HDEO in my 4.0's,
currently I'm running Rotella T5 in the XJ and Rotella T6 in the WJ.

IMO there is not an oil that does much better than Rotella in these 4.0s. That being said they will run decent on almost anything, but seem to prefer a heavier 30wt or 40wt.

(currently waiting on the ZDDP debate to start
35.gif
)

My grandpa has a 96' Cherokee with the 4.0L & 134k miles. I've run Castrol GTX 10w30 in it a lot but recently it's been Valvoline MaxLife 10w40 from my oil stash and it doesn't care at all what oil is in it. If I weren't trying to get rid of oil in my stash I'd be using 5w30 MaxLife

Just about any 10w or 5w30 will work fine in the 4.0 in your climate.

Just put in the best for your buck 5w30 because winter is coming. I have the same engine and have had all types and grades of oil in it. Mine did not care about brand or weight of the oil. It keeps on going.

How to determine oil for a 4.0:
- Is it motor oil? Yes.

They aren't picky. But there are some that work better than others. PYB and diesel oils are popular (using PYB in mine).

Id stay away from 5w30 dino personally unless you are wanting to run a short OCI. The 4.0 can shear it town to a 20 weight in about 2500-3000 miles.

All the mentioned oils will work great for your Jeep.
With your climate, Id run 10w30 year round.

10w-30 is tried and tested but 5w-40, 10w-40 or 15w-40 are also suitable and may even give you better wear protection.

Last edited:
I like the T5 Rotella option too.

My company 4.0 liter Cherokee gets a steady diet of 10W-30 house brand Warren oil at 3,000 mile OCI's.

It does fine but the Rotella would probably help with some recurring lifter noise on my Jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back