BEST oil for 1994 Jeep XJ Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, BITOGers, I suppose you know the drill. I want a highly-recommended oil for my old Jeep, and I also want some answers about the dreaded "stuff I heard" on the errornet.

Vehicle Information:
1994 Jeep XJ Cherokee
Chrysler/AMC 4.0 liter L6
Aisin AX15 5-Speed Manual Transmission
217,000 miles on the clock

The 1994 Factory Service Manual says to use 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil, of API SG grade, Energy Conserving or Energy Conserving II. It clearly states that non-detergent oils and straight mineral oils must NEVER be used to lubricate a Jeep engine. It recommends OCIs of 3,000 to 7,500 miles for different driving conditions.

I live in Southern Idaho (high-desert climate) and go to school in Moscow, ID. The climates are similar, ranging from -20* F to 120* F in temperature. It is not uncommon for it to be below freezing in the morning and above 70*F in the same day.

My driving style is typically fairly normal/conservatively, but I do have hard acceleration runs every once in a while. I drive it harder in the city than I do on the highway. I take it on trails and offroad, also, so the engine operates at a very low RPM range at these times. My daily drives are extremely varied, with short trips in the city and long (400+ mile) trips on the highway.

My Jeep has 217,000 miles on the clock, but runs very good. I don't just change the oil, but work on it frequently to keep it running well. It is my only vehicle, so it must run good and be very reliable. I replace worn-out parts well before they break or cause troubles. I flush the engine coolant every two years. I'm a gearhead, so I'm always peeking under the hood to check connections and listen to the engine. My engine has a lot of valvetrain noise, like most 4.0L L6 engines have. It sounds diesel-ish under the hood.

I've run Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30, PYB 10W-30, and Mobil 1 5W-20 in the past. I used to change the oil every 3-4k miles, especially with PYB. With the full synths, I go 5k-7k OCIs. I run Purolator PureOne, Wix, Bosch, and Mobil 1 oil filters. I prefer full-synthetic motor oils, because they give me better fuel mileage and the engine oil comes out much cleaner at oil changes. My last oil change interval at 5k miles of M1 5W-20 came out a lighter brown. It had never been that clean before. I've run the same oil for the past 3 OCIs, from 205k miles on. It has been getting a consistent 22-24 MPG with the M1 5W-20 oil.

I'm due for an oil change in about 2-3k miles, and I've already picked up another Puro P1 filter and a bottle of M1 5W-30 High Mileage motor oil ($22.49/5qts at wally-world). I had to drop a quart of Lucas stop-leak in the engine because my oil filter adapter started leaking a decent amount. I would like to change it soon, because I know that using their "heavy duty oil stabilizer" ain't exactly good for the engine.

What motor oils does everyone here recommend? I've seen many guys on the forums running 15W-40 oils, which are diesel-grade. Some think that the ol' AMC engine is a tractor engine, so it needs super-thick oils. These come from SWAGs, I think, from reading about the drop in ZDDP in newer oils, when in fact the full-synths have 800-900 PPM zinc or whatever, with the hi-mileage stuff having more in many cases. I think that if you used 15W-40 or (in some cases, yes) 20W-50 oil(!!!), it would kill a lesser engine. I think they're nuts to run anything thicker than 10W-30, especially after they've read and (I assume) understood Motor Oil University! I've also caught flak from them for running M1 motor oils, because supposedly it tears up the engine and (OMG!) CAMshaft because "the 4.0L is a flat-tappet engine, OMG you're going to destroy it!", causing excess scuffing and all these things that probably would have detonated my Jeep a while back...

I will be sending an oil sample to Blackstone after this OCI, btw. I want to know if running that 5W-20 is bad or not.

Let the discussion begin!

Rob

If I lived in a climate where it didn't get much below freezing,I would run Rotella T5 10W30.

I live in a climate where it can get well below 0 in the winter and Rotella T6 5w-40 works excellent for me!

However, the AMC 242 is a pretty durable engine and really won't care about oil.

I think Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 would be a good choice.
thumbsup2.gif

I would not use a 0/5w-20 oil in that 4.0L engine. When I lived in ILL I ran 5w/10w-30 Mobil 1 and changed it and a Wix filter every 6,000 miles. 3 UOAs came back very good. The 1995 JGC was sold running like new at ~ 120,000 miles. Only repare was a rear main seal replacement at ~ 80K. If you are not burning oil excessively (like a Qt/1,000 mi) then stick with a 5 or 10w30 oil. Ed

I have had great UOAs with Amsoil 0w30 in this engine, in more than one vehicle. Also, it will easily go 10k miles between changes so is cost effective. Choose the correct filter (Wix, Amsoil, M1 or Fram Ultra) to go beyond 6 or 7k.

IMO avoid M1 0w30 in the 4.0 as it causes increased iron production. I would also avoid the 20 weight oils; this engine.prefers a heavier oil and one that is too light may be the cause of the dieseling noise.

FWIW, it has always had the dieseling noise from 185k miles, when I was still using 10W-30 oils. Also, is the iron from iron production or iron cleanup in the sludge? Hard to know. The M1 oils have lots of cleaners, especially the hi-mileage stuff that I'm switching to.

Gomes, thanks for the link. I've always respected the strokers...

Originally Posted By: 94JeepCherokee
W

I will be sending an oil sample to Blackstone after this OCI, btw. I want to know if running that 5W-20 is bad or not.

Rob

Do NOT run 5w20 in the Jeep 4.0. As you've noted, it really needs a solid 30 grade for optimum results.

If you'd done a UOA on the 5w20 run you'd likely have had a cow...the 4.0 will fool you it seems to run well on most anything but UOA's tell a different story, and one of them is you can indeed go too thin for it. The Maxlife/PYB 10w30's you mentioned are great choices, a lot of guys run Rotella 10w30 in them as well.

I am with you, a 15w40 is simply overkill.

Quaker State Defy 10w-30 , perfect oil for a high mileage 4.0. Nice thick 30 weight , SL ZDDP add pack and a nice shot of boron and Moly. Has performed very well in my XJ.

FWIW, it has always had the dieseling noise from 185k miles, when I was still using 10W-30 oils. Also, is the iron from iron production or iron cleanup in the sludge? Hard to know. The M1 oils have lots of cleaners, especially the hi-mileage stuff that I'm switching to.

Gomes, thanks for the link. I've always respected the strokers...

As far as iron production or sludge, there are too many UOAs to ignore on the 4.0 running M1 oils showing high iron content. In some cases it is four times what other oils show in similar conditions and distances. I don't recall if there were multiple OCIs in a row with M1 and UOAs to rule out sludge cleaning. However one of the M1 runs was in my 4.0 GC and there is no sludge in the engine.

In addition, PYB is said to clean as well or better than M1, and none of the PYB UOAs in the 4.0 show high iron.

Last edited:
How is Penn Platinum or Ultra in 5W-30 for the 4.0? I want to stick with a full synth for the extended OCIs and better additive packs.

Last edited:
At any rate, I'm fairly sure I'm going to have high iron content in my engine with any oil in a UOA. There has been metal particles attached to the end of my dipstick for as long as I can remember. That is why I've been wanting to rebuild it for so long.

Does the Mobil 1 Hi-mileage do any better in the 4.0? Why does Mobil 1 "suck" compared to other oils in the 4.0?

I cannot comment as to why however every Mobil uoa I've ever seen in jeep 4.0 or 4.2 had very high wear metals. I cannot guess as to why,it is what it is.
If I were you I would follow kcjeep's advice to the letter. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to jeeps and has uoa data to back up his recommendations. So do whatever he says and I'm sure you'll be fine

The 4.0L really doesnt need a full syn to be honest , it will run great on a conventional. I do not have the links however certain oils seem to shine in this engine. A few that come to mind are Pennzoil Yellow Bottle , QS Defy and Valvoline White Bottle . Some on this forum have noted their 4.0L runs very smooth on PYB . All Mobil 1 oils for some odd reason seem to disagree with the 4.0L , not bashing M1 as its a great lube just not in a 4.0L. You should consider either PYB or QS Defy both have a good bit of Moly which the 4.0L seems to like. Both are priced fairly well and would do well for a 5k oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back