windshield wiper noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of my wipers (fairly new wipers) gives a rubber on glass sounding "wump" noise when the wipers reach the end of their range and reverse to go back.

any idea whats causing this?
might be only one wiper doing it.
blade and rubber part were replaced all together

The windshield could have some contaminants, or the tension on the metal arm is incorrect (bent from debris, wind, car wash, etc).

I hope you find a definite answer. The ones on my Grand Marquis have made a variety of noises no matter what I do and I have tried at least 6 different sets of blades, replaced the arms, and tried all sorts of glass-cleaning tricks. They chatter like the dickens and make that same "wump" sound...

My guess is the wiper blades. You'll just have to experiment with different brands until you find one that's quiet. Also, look for blades that are low profile - the wiper arm is as close to the windshield as possible. The taller blades sometimes cause vibration.

Sometimes an OEM blade is the best solution, and can, on rare occasions, be the cheapest. Some vehicles are picky. My F-150 can take any blade of any design and not fuss. When I had the Audi, it had to be the old style blades. Beam blades never worked right. The G is kind of in the middle in that it's best not to leave blades on too long.

I always thought it was the blade "flipping" over when the arm changes direction.

The wipers on the Safari do this. It was really pronounced when I was using Rain-X Latitudes. It's much quieter with Rain-X Weatherbeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back