HM Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Do you Pennzoil HM users find it to be just as quiet as regular old PYB?

I haven't seen a VOA of it, but is it safe to assume its PYB with an extra HM add pack?

Yep, runs just as quiet. There is a UOA here and a new VOA on the PQIA's website, it has the same add pack as good old PYB (which is a good thing) but is thicker (also a good thing for the 4.0) and presumably is a little higher in seal conditioners. That's it.

I haven't seen a VOA of it, but is it safe to assume its PYB with an extra HM add pack?

I haven't used regular Pennzoil in the Firebird, but I've noticed no difference in the way it runs or sounds when compared to AC Delco 5W-30 or Mobil 1 HM 10W-30. I believe it is regular PYB with a more stout add-pack, yes. Interestingly, according to PQIA, the viscosity is slightly more viscous with the regular Pennzoil when compared to Pennzoil HM at -30, FWIW. Pennzoil markets their HM oil as a conventional, but perhaps it has a bit of synthetic in it as well...

What specifically interests me about the Pennzoil HM is that it hasn't undergone the "resource conserving" trait that Maxlife and others have which puts them at the thinner side of their respective viscosity. With the jeep 4.0L the heavy for weight viscosity is deemed to be a good thing .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
What specifically interests me about the Pennzoil HM is that it hasn't undergone the "resource conserving" trait that Maxlife and others have which puts them at the thinner side of their respective viscosity. With the jeep 4.0L the heavy for weight viscosity is deemed to be a good thing .

To take things one step further, Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 is still SL rated because of the extra additives and not energy conserving. Perhaps that might be what you're looking for? It's also pretty thick stuff.

Exactly, another one of the endearing features of Defy and Pennzoil HM.

Interestingly enough though, Castrol HM did go Resource Conserving and according to the PQIA's recent tests it is still one of the thickest HM oils out there. Not sure how they do that?
confused2.gif

I ran Castrol HM for multiple OCI's in my Jeep and really liked how it ran and sounded but my UOA with it wasn't as good as I would have liked and about that time they went Resource Conserving so I gave up on it.

No matter now this Jeep is getting Pennzoil for the rest of the time I own it.
banana2.gif

What specifically interests me about the Pennzoil HM is that it hasn't undergone the "resource conserving" trait that Maxlife and others have which puts them at the thinner side of their respective viscosity.

Pennzoil does offer an SN/GF-5 dexos1 blend, whereas Valvoline, it would seem, wants their blend to be everything, including a high mileage oil with the latest certifications.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Not sure how they do that?
confused2.gif

We'd have to know the HTHS to have an idea.

That's just it, looking at the specs HTHSV looks high for grade too, I'd bet the 5w30 Castrol HM is 3.2 to 3.3.

I ran Pennzoil HM in my Ranger and the engine was quiet as a mouse. I have Maxlife in it now and its noisy as can be. Next fill is Defy in a few hundred miles. Im trying them all
wink.gif

I've had success stopping seepage/leaks in Jeep 2.5/242/258 engines with AutoRX. Other than that, I typically replace the seals and change the oil pump when I'm in there.

Other than that, the Jeep engines in my stable typically see GRP III syn 5W30. My trail Jeep (2.5L) is bounced off the rev limiter and yearly UOA's are great (not that UOA's are good for determining engine wear).

I just added 1 and 1/3rd bottles of Lubro - Molly Motor Oil Saver to the '95 Jeep 4.0L . I set the Lubro - Molly cans in a pan of hot water for a while to thin out the contents so I could shake well and pour quicker into the engine ... Had I not used the pan of hot water trick , I would still be ouside pouring Lubro - Molly into the jeep ... Boy that stuff is thick !

That's just it, looking at the specs HTHSV looks high for grade too, I'd bet the 5w30 Castrol HM is 3.2 to 3.3.

Of course, one always has to wonder about those sheets. It is an interesting issue, though.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Lots of people here have had good luck with Liqui-Moly Oil Saver, which comes in a 300ml bottle you add to the oil of your choice. If HM oils don't work, you may want to give it a try.

The Ford in my sig came to us with a small oil leak. Overnight it would be a small spot about the size of a quarter. I went to VML in the red bottle and that slowed it quite a bit. This last OCI I added the correct ratio of LM oil saver and the leak is 98% gone. Now if there is a drop on the driveway it is just that.....a drop. I like the combo of VML and LM oil saver. I will keep running it for the foreseeable future.

I just added 1 and 1/3rd bottles of Lubro - Molly Motor Oil Saver to the '95 Jeep 4.0L . I set the Lubro - Molly cans in a pan of hot water for a while to thin out the contents so I could shake well and pour quicker into the engine ... Had I not used the pan of hot water trick , I would still be ouside pouring Lubro - Molly into the jeep ... Boy that stuff is thick !

Update us to the effectiveness of the LM. One thing I did was immediately after I added the LM I took the Ford out for a ride up I-85. 60 miles up and 60 miles back with no stops along the way. The LM takes 500 or so miles to start to work, so be patient.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta

Update us to the effectiveness of the LM. One thing I did was immediately after I added the LM I took the Ford out for a ride up I-85. 60 miles up and 60 miles back with no stops along the way. The LM takes 500 or so miles to start to work, so be patient.

Good luck.

Lex is correct. It took between 400-600 miles on my dads engine before the leak started to slow down. To this day it still has not leaked since adding the LM.BTW, he still uses VML though.

LexAtlanta : Will do - after filling I took a 25 minute ride around Cobb then back home again ... I have a fair amount of driving coming up so I am confident I will see progress . Admittedly I have a Frankenbrew in the 4.0 current fill consisting of : Rotella 15W40 , 10W30 and 10W40 Supertech HM and 5W30 PEAK synthetic . Next oil change will be Pennzoil 10W30 HM and 3/4th of a bottle of remaining Lubro-Molly and I expect to stay with Pennzoil HM oil moving forward .

No matter now this Jeep is getting Pennzoil for the rest of the time I own it.
banana2.gif

KC, I remember when you suggested my son try VML 10W40 in his Corolla over the ST HM oil. Are you an exclusive PHM user now? Do you think the PHM is better than VML in stopping leaks or that and making an engine run more quiet?

Has anyone tried the WalMart Supertech High Milage formula? Would be interesting to know how it compared to the Maxlife and other big names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back