Funny Noise after Beating on Ram??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly impossible to burnout with AWD (unless modified.) Besides, unless you're drifting, spinning the butt-end around, or doing something in a controlled manner, burning out is excessive and provides no value to actual enthusiastic driving.

I'm all for hooning about, but let's face facts. Burning out is all about being silly and juvenile, and in most cases it's annoying to those around us. I've done it, and I've been annoyed by it.

Regardless, the OP is a grown man and lives out in the sticks, so who cares? I'm sorry that I posted a negative, unhelpful initial response.

Yeeeehaaaaa.

Burn em up.

As soon as I buy new skins I melt the old ones off,no biggie. My bike is the most fun. Sounds and like a shotgun when it blows.

Op

I'm guessing u-joint. Having owned an 89 and a 96 I can certainly testify to the fact that the tranny and rear end aren't fantastic on those trucks and can only take limited abuse.
I suggest checking the trans fluid. It's likely burnt and a couple drain and fills might be in order.
The engines(318) is pretty tough but not all that powerful,but it certainly can shred tires.

FWIW I had a clunky rear in a 1977 V0olare, and it never gave out the whole time I had it. Use 75W-140 oil in it. Probably u-joints, though, like the others said. FWIW I'm 53 and when my bike needed a new tire, I sent it up in smoke.

Do you actually have a posi, or an open diff?

I have rebuilt an open diff exhibiting theses symptoms. The the spider gears and trunion had worn so much there was an 1/8" clearance causing slop and a resulting bang in the drive train. This would have to have been caused by burnouts or two very different size tires over tens of thousands of miles.

Last edited:
The truck is terminal and cannot be fixed. You should immediately sell it to me, cheap of course because of its destroyed state. Or, check the u-joints like has been mentioned, and go from there. BTW everyone, always check u-joints with the vehicle in neutral with the p. brake set, and or wheels firmly blocked. This takes the pressure off the driveshaft and allows you to turn it back and forth to determine how much wrap or play there is in addition to checking the u-joints. If in park on a slight incline the DS is under tension from the parking pawl (auto trans) and you cannot determine if any play exists in the u-joint.

My friend did that in his twin turbo 300ZX the day he was installing new tires. Most insane burnout I've ever seen! Back of his car had chunks of rubber all over it.

We were at a nascar race one time and Kyle Busch spun the tires till they flew apart and dissentigrated. It was crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back