Havoline High Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that Havoline has a high mileage oil, and WM carries it in a 5 qt jug. I've been searching for info, but most of the stuff on here were from 4+ years ago.

Anybody know anything about the current formulation? Will be using 5w-30 or 5w-20 (if I can find it). Others I'm thinking about using are Defy, Mobil High Mileage, and Maxlife. Engine is a 2AZ-FE with 160k (?) miles and ~.5-.75 qt consumption per 5k miles oil change.

I have used Chevron HM. It is the same product and it worked just as good as anything else. If you can buy Havoline for less than the other use it.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I just noticed that Havoline has a high mileage oil, and WM carries it in a 5 qt jug. I've been searching for info, but most of the stuff on here were from 4+ years ago.

Anybody know anything about the current formulation? Will be using 5w-30 or 5w-20 (if I can find it). Others I'm thinking about using are Defy, Mobil High Mileage, and Maxlife. Engine is a 2AZ-FE with 160k (?) miles and ~.5-.75 qt consumption per 5k miles oil change.

Cost is what I will look at.

2AZ-FE burn oil because of clogged oil return holes in the piston, a high mileage oil won't help you with that unless you have leaks.

I significantly got our 2AZ-FE to drop the oil consumption by using PU/PP 5w30 compared to regular dino oil that it used to get, currently doing 10-15k oci because of the top off oil.

I will be rebuilding this engine soon so I can update later on the consumption afterwards

It has had mostly name brand synthetics every 5k miles with a conventional here and there. Changed out a weeping valve cover gasket 1-2 years ago.

Synthetic doesn't seem necessary for the usage of this car, and I prefer not to do extended drains either due to the short trips that it gets. Currently, high mileage oils seem to make the most sense. I would like something with a good dose of detergents, though, to keep it clean. The RMS (and other seals) hasn't given me any indication that it is leaking, but it's getting up to that mileage/age where I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back