"Build and Price" for 2015 Colorado is up and live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Orders are coming in.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/GM-to-add-750-workers-to-Wentzville-plant-275305511.html

Quote:
Alan Batey, GM’s North America president, says dealers already have ordered 30,000 pickups and 97,000 people have configured and built them on a GM website. Both are signs of strong demand.

Really? That doesn't seem like much, though I guess in the current small pickup market it is.

I am responsible for probably up to 5 or 6 of the "build & price" hits, though if they were counting by IP maybe only two. I do not intend to buy one, at least not soon, but I am curious seeing as this is one of the three "small" trucks that can be bought new. Small being a very relative term these days.

Maybe trucks will eventually follow the car trend we have going in this country and they'll slot something smaller in below the Colorado. As an example, today's Civic has gotten so large, it made room in their lineup for the Fit.

I'd love a truck about the size of the original Toyota 4X4 pickups they imported to the U.S.

Originally Posted By: FocusTi
Maybe trucks will eventually follow the car trend we have going in this country and they'll slot something smaller in below the Colorado. As an example, today's Civic has gotten so large, it made room in their lineup for the Fit.

I'd love a truck about the size of the original Toyota 4X4 pickups they imported to the U.S.

+1 A "crew cab" the same size as my Tracker's passenger space, with a 6' bed, small turbo diesel, mtx, 2 speed transfer case 4wd, would be fine for me. For rural running I get 27-29mpg now with a low tech gas motor geared like a tractor, so a nice modern 130hp turbo diesel with a wide ratio 6 speed would be great. No giant 18"+ expensive tires needed either.
Really though, the only hope I think for a truck like that is Mahindra. The current players like what they have going now, just build one truck that's profitable at $18-20k and option them so most are sold for much much more.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
SteveSRT8, I don't think its right that my $32,255 2014 Silverado V6 2wd "vibrates" while in V4 AFM mode at 55-65 MPH. Nobody is going to justify that to me. So....its either buy the RANGE TECHNOLOGY'S product to not let the AFM come on...or...Sell the Silverado and buy the Colorado. Its been back to the dealer and everything engine tuning wise checks out. It literally feels like a V8 with a plug wire off while in it's AFM V4 mode.

Sorry, no v-6's here. All are 5.3 or 6.0 V8's. Interestingly we cannot even tell when the AFM comes on except by noting the huge change in throttle programming.

Works fantastic for us, I feel for ya here...

I'm surprised Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, etc. wouldn't come out with a TRUE small truck, make it available bare bones, like you use to be able to get S-10's and Rangers. Offer it for around $12-$15k, something a middle class guy can realistically afford, and undercut these outrageously priced trucks that most really cant afford or need.

Has to meet the same crash requirements and emissions requirements as small cars. Small profits to be had. Plus you'll have everyone and their uncle coming out of the woodwork saying it's not a real truck, it's not useful for anything, etc.

Oddly enough, when there is 5 of us going out to dinner, we usually take my truck. The rear seat is wider than our Camry. Ok, driving two cars is cheaper than buying a truck, since this sort of thing doesn't happen that often. Point is, now that I have the full sized truck, I kinda like the size, at least in that dimension. And I don't think a FWD minivan is something that would work for my "needs". A RWD one, maybe.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I'm surprised Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, etc. wouldn't come out with a TRUE small truck, make it available bare bones, like you use to be able to get S-10's and Rangers. Offer it for around $12-$15k, something a middle class guy can realistically afford, and undercut these outrageously priced trucks that most really cant afford or need.

I don't think Mitsubishi has the dealer network in the US to be successful with pickups. They do already make the Triton overseas, but it is pushing it for the "small" category, and it would probably be cost prohibitive to make it US compliant given their limited dealer network (and therefore limited sales potential). They also aren't really viewed in the US as a "truck manufacturer," which would be another barrier to overcome. It's sad really. Their old flagship in the US, the Montero, is still sold as the Pajero overseas, but you won't see it here anymore.

I think Hyundai/Kia would be in a good position to offer a small truck through their more extensive dealer network in the US, but it doesn't really go with their brand image. Trucks have never been their specialty stateside, and I imagine it would be hard to convince US truck shoppers to even consider a Hyundai/Kia pickup. I do wish they would give it a shot though. Hyundai does make some light commercial trucks overseas, and might be able to leverage their experience making industrial equipment to sell trucks here and elsewhere. It just doesn't seem like something they are very interested in though, probably for the reasons supton mentioned. Why invest in a all new vehicle that will have to meet strict requirements (safety, emissions, and buyer demands) at a cheap price, when you can just sell a bunch of Sonatas instead?

It would be really nice to see affordable, basic, small trucks again though that are actually small. I just think those days are gone for US consumers and even much of the world. A lot of the "small" pickups offered overseas are about the same size as the new Colorado.

Drove a Colorado at the fair this weekend. Was surprised to find out that it's not QUITE as roomy inside as my '05 Sport Trac. Nearly every dimension seemed 'tighter' while sitting in it. Not a deal breaker, but I was expecting marginally more room, not less. Not a fan of the crewcab longbed, and there was not a shortbed to be found at the fair. Z-71 is also out of the question. It had some of the roughest fabric on the seats I've ever seen in a vehicle. It reminded me of the rough side of a Scotchbrite sponge. I'm leaning toward the LT with the 18" wheels. After seeing the silver, both the reds, the black and the white in person, it's looking like silver will be my color.

Last edited:
Interesting, on paper the Colorado should have a tad more room in every interior dimension than that generation of Sport Trac, at least in the front seat area.

My guess is the Colorado has ticker pillars and more rake in the windshield that give the perception of less space.

Makes sense...the Colorado's console extends to the footwell area and takes up every bit of the center hump. The Sport Trac's console, even the "high series" (the one without the removable cooler bag thing), does not cover the full width of the center hump and doesn't go into the footwell area at all.

Ergonomics be [censored], fill it with console!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back