Replaced cracked flexplate 95 Toyota T100

Status
Not open for further replies.
95 T100 2wd. 3.4 V6 with A340e auto trans. 462k miles.

My truck had been making a rhythmic tapping noise at idle. It only happened at idle and only when warmed up. I first though it was a rod knocking but on further listening, it was coming from the trans bellhousing. Due to health issues, I parked the truck at my Dad's and drove another car for the past eight months. Sunday, my sons and I pulled the transmission and removed and replaced the flexplate with a good one from a junkyard. There was a series of connected cracks spanning about 180 degrees around the center of the plate. I haven't gotten everything connected and started the truck, but I'm convinced that the cracks were the source of the noise. It seems that the plates from 95 to 97 are affected but only with high mileage, such as mine.

Nice catch! That would have been a bad failure to have. At that mileage you expect failures other than a flex plate.

Last edited:
That's the reason I parked it. My health situation prevented me from working on it. Chemotherapy, etc. It would not have been a pretty picture had the plate decided to separate into two pieces completely. It's been an outstandingly reliable truck otherwise. Toyota replaced the headgaskets at 252k under a recall and ended up putting in a new short block on their nickle at the same time bc of cylinder pitting from the ingestion of coolant. I can't complain about the truck at all nor the service I received from Toyota on it. I intend to drive it until it won't go anymore just to see how far it will carry me.

Other than the plate, I've replaced one failed fuel injector, a neutral safety switch and a blower motor. Nothing major.

Another vote for Toyota reliability....I'll be interested to see how far it goes too!

What's your OCI and what oil do you use?

(this IS BITOG after all)
grin.gif

Last edited:
Mobil 1, Toyota oil filter, 8k oci. I also do a diy Trans flush every 30k. Original Trans. Next thing, I'm going to replace the shift solenoids. I've noticed that occasionally, the Trans will bounce between 3rd and OD at Highway speed.

Wow just wow. My 03 tundra has the 5VZ-FE and A340E. At 11 years old and 57k miles ill never catch you though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back