Maxlife ATF in Honda DW1 Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
DW1 is a synthetic fluid, that is why I use it in my 2005 Civic.

DW-1 is NOT the same product in the USA, and Canada.

The USA formula is dino based,
while the Canadian version is in fact 100% synthetic.

This information was from AHM.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Do you have a link to this information?

i think there was a similar discussion in another honda dw-1 thread. anyway, i called idemitsu (who make the fluid) and asked them if dw-1 was different for the us and canada. their response was it's the same fluid from the same factory. no difference.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Use DW-1. I think I'm only paying about $8/qt for it in a case from the dealer, which is worth the peace of mind over these questionable aftermarket fluids that have never been tested in EVERY application that they are recommended for.

Check out HandA - I'm in SoCal and get a case shipped for around $84.

Bill G

Originally Posted By: Quakish

i think there was a similar discussion in another honda dw-1 thread. anyway, i called idemitsu (who make the fluid) and asked them if dw-1 was different for the us and canada. their response was it's the same fluid from the same factory. no difference.

Well can't argue if the information comes directly from
Honda's vendor for ATF which is indeed Idemitsu.

I wonder why the world Honda would bother making different
labeling for the same fluid in two countries?

Originally Posted By: jmb106
Originally Posted By: sw99
Switched to Maxlife about 20k ago in our 2012 Civic and were now at 50k. Smooth as can be and plan to run it for the rest of the cars life.

that's good news,working fine in a car specd for DW1 from the Factory. Thats what i was looking for someone who has used Maxlife in a DW1 specd car. Thank You.

Just for the record i have nothing against the factory fill DW1. I have owned 8 Honda's and current have 5 in the family, all except the 5 speed manual have Maxlife ATF in them and i service my friends 00 Oddy and it has maxlife ATF in it.

30k miles is nothing. Good news is when the thing has 200k+ miles on it. Then using Maxlife might have some merit.

Use the DW1 or play Russian Roulette

It's not Russian Roulette......
So you're telling me that the transmissions that have failed on DW-1, that DW-1 has no merit? Faulty trannys will fail regardless of what fluid you use.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: sw99
Switched to Maxlife about 20k ago in our 2012 Civic and were now at 50k. Smooth as can be and plan to run it for the rest of the cars life.

that's good news,working fine in a car specd for DW1 from the Factory. Thats what i was looking for someone who has used Maxlife in a DW1 specd car. Thank You.

Just for the record i have nothing against the factory fill DW1. I have owned 8 Honda's and current have 5 in the family, all except the 5 speed manual have Maxlife ATF in them and i service my friends 00 Oddy and it has maxlife ATF in it.

30k miles is nothing. Good news is when the thing has 200k+ miles on it. Then using Maxlife might have some merit.

Use the DW1 or play Russian Roulette

Well i have about 150k miles of using Maxlife in my honda's w/ no problems. And the doom and gloom sediment here about using anything other than OME is bothersome. I come here to learn from other peoples ideas and experiences. Maybe just maybe there is another fluid that works as well as the OME. 30k is not just around the corner, got to start somewhere! The way people talk on here using Maxlife will make your tranny implode.I have personally used Amsoil,Maxlife,Castrol HM in honda's w/ no ill affects. I don't see it as Russian Roulette, i see it as an educated choice based on personal experience. It is not my car it is a friends and ultimately there decision!

must be something to do with rules on what you can and cannot put on a label in each country. only thing i can think of

Well i have about 150k miles of using Maxlife in my honda's w/ no problems. And the doom and gloom sediment here about using anything other than OME is bothersome. I come here to learn from other peoples ideas and experiences. Maybe just maybe there is another fluid that works as well as the OME. 30k is not just around the corner, got to start somewhere! The way people talk on here using Maxlife will make your tranny implode.I have personally used Amsoil,Maxlife,Castrol HM in honda's w/ no ill affects. I don't see it as Russian Roulette, i see it as an educated choice based on personal experience. It is not my car it is a friends and ultimately there decision!

just put the last of my z-1 stash in my 03 ody. next drain and fill will be with maxlife. i have no issues using it. go to www.odyclub.com and see how many people there use different fluid in their v-6 vans without issue.

Originally Posted By: Quakish

Well can't argue if the information comes directly from
Honda's vendor for ATF which is indeed Idemitsu.

I hope your kidding, I called Pennzoil telling them I had Pennzoil Ultra SM version from 2010 that I bought from a Walmart in 2013(I called them back in beginning of 13), and they told me it was the EXACT same stuff as the Pennzoil Ultra they were currently producing, which was complete BullSh!t as I figured out on BITOG forums the links to the old and new TDS...SM vs SN version and they were quiet different.

what you can take from that might be that the factory filled ATF for the US might be different then the Canadian market? obviously I'm not sure about that as I'm speculating but to believe what they tell you over the phone is naive at best.

Last edited:
I am using maxlife and lubeguard Platinum in my 2007 honda accord. The lubeguard Platinum adds the friction modifiers you need and the maxlife is full synthetic the honda fluid is not. Change the transmission filter on top of the engine too.

Last edited:
I don't see the need for any additives when upgrading to a full synthetic universal multivehicle ATF. Lubeguard is a great product but likely not needed.

Castrol, Peak, Neo, Torco, Amsoil, RedLine, Amalie, Schaeffers,... have full synth universal multivehicle lo vis ATFs.

Mine shifts better with lubeguard Platinum, the Platinum says it Enhances Honda type fluids. I don't think the maxlife and others has enough friction modifiers and I don't like the factory Honda fluids. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back