Pennzoil HM vs Mobil Super HM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
I was told the same thing Dave was by XOM contact line.

Motorguy222, can you post a pic of that full syn Mobil Super? That would be extremely helpful in putting all this to rest.

Indeed from what I can tell Motorguy222 is posting about Mobil Super Synthetic not Mobil Super High Mileage.

No, Motorguy222 is exactly right as far as the bottle is concerned. I went to a different Walmart today. The 5 gallon jug of MSHM is the same as always.
HOWEVER, on the back of the 1qt Mobil Super High Mileage, there is the picture of the 3 bottles with graph and checkmarks underneath. I should have taken a photo. However, the pictures from left to right are: Mobil Super 5000, Mobil Super High Mileage, and Mobil 1. Under 5000 it says "conventional", under Mobil Super High Mileage it says "Full Synthetic", and Mobil 1 says advanced synthetic or something.
Anyway, the middle pic is clearly a bottle that says Mobil Super High Mileage.
I think Mobil made an error...

Originally Posted By: lukejo
No, Motorguy222 is exactly right as far as the bottle is concerned. I went to a different Walmart today. The 5 gallon jug of MSHM is the same as always.
HOWEVER, on the back of the 1qt Mobil Super High Mileage, there is the picture of the 3 bottles with graph and checkmarks underneath. I should have taken a photo. However, the pictures from left to right are: Mobil Super 5000, Mobil Super High Mileage, and Mobil 1. Under 5000 it says "conventional", under Mobil Super High Mileage it says "Full Synthetic", and Mobil 1 says advanced synthetic or something.
Anyway, the middle pic is clearly a bottle that says Mobil Super High Mileage.
I think Mobil made an error...

I will be at WM tomorrow. I will look at the bottles and take pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I was told the same thing Dave was by XOM contact line.

Indeed from what I can tell Motorguy222 is posting about Mobil Super Synthetic not Mobil Super High Mileage.

Not to offend but I can read and I know what the bottle says. I know one bottle from the other.

It may be a mistake on Mobil's part but it does say that the MSHM is a "FULL SYNTHETIC".

I will go to WM tomorrow as well. Thanks for sharing motorguy222. Like lukejo said, the jugs I've seen with the three bottle diagram, say blend. I haven't picked up one of the qt bottles in a while.

...and no offense taken.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Take us through a year of using Pennzoil HM : 10W30 year round OR do you change to 5W30 when it's cold ?
Originally Posted By: wsar10
I'm not a M1 fan, and prefer SOPUS products. I use the PNZL HM in the winter in my 4.0 jeeps and it seems to work very well.

I would go PNZL HM without any further thought !

Tmiller3063, you beat me to it. My local WM carries the same oil. It's $4.52 per qt. And yes, on the back of the qt. bottle, the graph states that it's a FULL SYNTHETIC HM OIL.
Great find Motorguy222!
thumbsup2.gif

Beat me to it as well! Yup, I saw bigfoot (MSHM Full Syn) at Pep Boys today. Motorguy222 is absolutely correct.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Tmiller3063, you beat me to it. My local WM carries the same oil. It's $4.52 per qt. And yes, on the back of the qt. bottle, the graph states that it's a FULL SYNTHETIC HM OIL.
Great find Motorguy222!
thumbsup2.gif

I happened to be in Target today and remembered seeing this post earlier this morning so I figured I would see for myself and post a pic.

I have lost all faith in the Customer Svc Tech line of all the oil mfrs.

Last edited:

Valvoline is stellar in that regard. The rest, not so much. Too big for their britches IMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Valvoline is stellar in that regard. The rest, not so much. Too big for their britches IMO.

+1

I just can't imagine that this isn't a huge mistake in their bottle graphics. Especially since there is no text stating "Super High Mileage" but rather just the photo. Someone put the wrong photo in. It will be interesting to see if anyone gets an answer that addresses it. Very perceptive Motorguy.

Same thing here in SoCal Walmart today: "full syn" 1qt, "Syn blend" 5 qt. If it's a mistake, it's all over the country. Are we seeing this quietly phased in? Is the handwriting on the wall for dino-based oil? Are the production economics of GTL so good that it will take over in the next few years?

Has anyone had the chance to look at the back of a Mobil Super Synthetic 1 quart container to see what it says? If I go to Advance Auto Parts today I will try and take a look. Maybe there is a misprint on the High Mileage quart bottles.

A couple more interesting points: MSHM Synthetic would be available to a wider spectrum of vehicles since it's SN/GF-5 certifications allow for its use in even new cars, and at PBoys at least, it was aggressively priced in the syn-blend range. Also, I doubt this is an error. The color ot the bottles is completely different, not just different labeling.

I was thinking I saw the full syn. label on the 5qt. bottles too but I may be mistaken, I was thinking I saw it their first.

But, as others have found, the qt. bottles say full syn.

This seems to be a rather recent change, I don't think it is a misprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back