Do you pre-fill the filter with oil during OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, My B5254S 5 cyl. Volvo engine (850's and 70 series through 2007 and others) have a cartridge I can and do fill. Sis' 1999 Jeep Cherokee is "sideways". No can do unless I freeze the full filter. Ha-Ha Kira

I work in Walmart's Tire and Lube. They never prefill the filter and the oil pressure light always goes off in 3 to 5 seconds.

Here's some facts about Walmart's oil change:
1. They don't change the drain plug gasket.
2. They only use the orange Fram filters.
3. If the Fram filter is unavailable, they use the Supertech oil filter.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
...the oil pressure light always goes off in 3 to 5 seconds.

Even if the system has built-up enough pressure to turn off the light you still have to force a slug of air through the bearings. Journal bearings running without a constant supply of oil under pressure are operating in conditions less than those required for normal hydrodynamic lubrication and therefore some additional wear is inevitable, even if it is difficult to quantify.

One other reason to prefill is that the filter media is dry when it comes out of the box. With prefill, the media absorbs the oil and is ready to filter before you start the engine.

On my last oil change, I prefilled the filter as much as possible before I started. 15 minutes later, the center section was empty...it had soaked up nearly 1/3 quart of oil.

Years ago, when filters weren't necessarily built as well as they are today, you would occasionally hear of someone blowing up an oil filter. Air is compressable and they used to say that a dry filter couldget a surge of as much as 300-400 psi momentarily on a dry filter start. I haven't heard of anyone doing that in years, but I still like to at least get the media wet before I install.

Originally Posted By: sittingduck57
Years ago, when filters weren't necessarily built as well as they are today, you would occasionally hear of someone blowing up an oil filter. Air is compressable and they used to say that a dry filter couldget a surge of as much as 300-400 psi momentarily on a dry filter start. I haven't heard of anyone doing that in years, but I still like to at least get the media wet before I install.

Doesn't sound possible to me.
eek.gif
The filter media should be able to flow air easier than it can flow oil, as air is less dense than oil. In order for air to compress, it has to somehow be trapped, but I see no real way it could be trapped in an open flow system.

i've heard about this practice as well

on an unrelated note, after you fill the crankcase with oil, is it a requirement to turn on the engine and let it idle as many oil change instructions tell you or could you just drain the oil, then fill it and not turn the engine on until you have to? if so, how long should you idle the engine for after pouring in fresh oil and is this required or optional?

Couldn't sleep eh?

No reason to answer another meaningless question!

This also is a 2 year old thread! Do you enjoy reviving the deceased?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: engineer20

on an unrelated note, after you fill the crankcase with oil, is it a requirement to turn on the engine and let it idle as many oil change instructions tell you or could you just drain the oil, then fill it and not turn the engine on until you have to? if so, how long should you idle the engine for after pouring in fresh oil and is this required or optional?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3456051/When_to_change_the_oil_filter_

Start it because then you can check for leaks and verify the full level. Better to do it when you're allotting the time rather than later when you're in a hurry. Not fun to be down the road a few miles and suddenly discover you double gasketed the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Yes - for good luck.

haha +1

I have a catridge that I dont fill and a verticle filter which I do but usually to the top and let it settle down before I spin it on

It is required to fill oil filter on the side going in (yep adbv side ,when all is full ?then you install.same thing for fuel filter?spin on like big rig)but a lot of top shop have lazy mechanic.if he didn't fill it you all hear your engine complain for a minute (up to 3 minute)all that noise its engine without oil

I love the convenience of the topside-mounted filter on my Camaro, but you can't prefill it. I pre-fill the filters on my Sport Trac and Focus. I think it's a good idea.

how long do you start up the engine for after you fill the crankcase and oil?
1 minute? 10 minutes?

Run it 2 minutes, shut it off, wait 10 min and check the oil level. Add oil to bring level to the full mark on the dipstick. Go drive.

I try to put some in the filter before installing. The filter mounts horizontally and I have to reach through the wheel well and bend my wrist in an awkward angle to get around the upper control arm; so it's tough to get it on there without making a little bit of a mess.
I always double check correct oil level, torque of the drain plug and make sure the oil filter is on tight enough to not leak.
Then I start it up and let it run for a few minutes while I check for leaks at the drain plug and filter.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I'll bet the oil change shops never prefill.

Old quote here, but not only do they not prefill the filter, they often overfill your engine with oil, overtighten your oil filter (so when you go to remove it it feels like the incredible hulk got angry and put it on) and seemingly tighten your drain bolt with a high torque impact wrench....

Im a fan of DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back