Short trips are hard on the car. Lengthen trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: raytseng

I'm in the camp that additional miles never turns the oil usage clock backwards to make it better.

[snip]

maybe something along those lines

Exactly. The key in prolonging useful life of engine oil, the whole vehicle, or anything for that matter is to reduce, reused, and recycle.
- Reduce: drive less, only when necessary.
- Reuse: plan the trip, get to the the furthest stop first, then drive back with multiple stops, to reuse the already warmed up oil and other components.
- Recycle: replace wear parts to keep the whole car in optimal shape, by the least costly means.

Originally Posted By: j4life
I purchased my car new and it as been 99% used for short trips and city driving I use the severe maintenance schedule as specified in my manual and other than wear and tear parts likes brakes and battery I have not had any major problems

Like an old lady's car that is only driven to the church, and to the grocery store a few times every week.

OP you're over thinking things. Just drive normally and change the oil when the OLM hits 15% with full synthetic, it's more than enough to keep the engine in top shape regardless of how often you short trip. Driving extra mileage just to warm the engine up is a waste of gas, your engine is good for at least another 200K as long as the oil is changed on time.

You should be more worried about the battery dying with all the short trips because it'll never get fully charged so you should trickle charge it every few months. Also, the ATF should be replaced before 60k KM especially since the new Honda DW-1 formula is a full synthetic in Canada which dramatically improves cold shifting.

Originally Posted By: max88
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

Sounds like you and Engineer20 would have an enjoyable back and forth, giving and taking hypotheses to their Nth degree....

I just came back from a 200KM round trip to a farm with the family and in laws, and having nothing better to do.

Yes...driving the car just for the sake of a nice drive in the country is as good a use for the car as taking it to work...and more enjoyable! Once or twice a week, I drive 20 highway miles just to go for a 1 hour+ bike ride in the woods among animals whose company I enjoy more than a bunch of other bikers in a city park....good for me, good for the car....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back