04 hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
the truck is for my 70 yr old uncle, 2004 1500 dodge quad cab that he bought new in 2004. 10 years later, its racked up 171k miles and is in ROUGH shape,(4x4 no longer works, dented, rusty) but the Hemi runs like a top. he lacks when it comes to oil changes, quite a few times when i checked it it was below the add mark(may need a PCV valve too) It also has a lot of crud and sludge under the filler cap and down the filler neck. I changed it for him yesterday, with some Motorcraft 10W30 diesel oil and a mopar filter. Do yall think it will do a good job of cleaning out whatever gunk the engine has in it? the filter i pulled off was a puro classic with at least 10k miles. My filter cutter will be in this week from Jegs so im anxious to cut that one open.

That oil should help. Hemi is a great motor, no surprise it's still running. I'd probably use M1 HM or Maxlife full synthetic next time with a good filter since he's prone to long oci's. Those oils should help with clean-up and reducing consumption. I also agree with changing the current filter early.

Short OCIs and topping level off regularly will allow it too clean itself out. PCMO sn/gf5 will clean out an engine. I don't see the need for an HDEO. Highmileage, blend, or synth are for you to decide if worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back