A Drone Just Flew Over The House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had what I suspect was a dragonfly drone hovering near me while working out in the driveway. I attacked it with brake cleaner and after some sparring it ran off into the neighbor's yard. The trouble neighbor.

Rather than destroy it ,i would rather capture it. disassemble it and sell the parts on ebay. Perhaps a net type system or something that shoots weighted tinsel, or rubber buckshot rounds.

Bait the drone in with a cardboard mockup of a topless lady on the ground then net it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Rather than destroy it ,i would rather capture it. disassemble it and sell the parts on ebay. Perhaps a net type system or something that shoots weighted tinsel, or rubber buckshot rounds.

Bait the drone in with a cardboard mockup of a topless lady on the ground then net it!

I am not down with the baiting part. I like the idea of selling the parts on e-bay but I believe you would be in more dire straits then the person flying the drone to your house.

When you see a drone over your property, shoot off an Estes model rocket with a low power engine.

If Putin can do it, so can I.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Clearly destruction of private property isn't a concern of people on here :3 Next time someone is parked in front of my house on the street, I'll be sure to slash their tires because I don't like them there and clearly that alone justifies destruction of property.

Person who parked out the front of your house "in the street" is on public property...go ahead and slash their tyres if that's what you want to do...that's illegal.

If they park in your driveway, or on your property, it's a different matter...damage can and does occur when you get them towed, and simply halting the erratic progress of a drone (potentially for your own safety, as you have no idea whether the operator is impaired, the state of correct maintenance of the machine, fire risk if a hot exhaust lands in your pile of leaves) so that the rightful owner can come claim it seems fair enough...a little consequential damage of something that someone else clearly shouldn't have placed there is hardly "damage of private property" commensurate with vandalism of cars on public areas.

I guess legally, the drone flyer can't come on to your property to investigate why, or retrieve, a drone that's crashed or been shot down. So I suppose practically you can do whatever you want to bring it down, as long as the owner can't see you. Kind of like dealing with a problem dog. Shoot, shovel and shut up.
Some drones stream live video, so you might have to be semi sneaky on how you approach it.

I build and fly scale fixed wing RC planes. I don't fly over people, houses, or roads. I'm afraid this drone and FPV (First Person View) stuff is going to ruin the RC airplane hobby. I have no desire to own a quad copter, mainly because it is not a scale model. The things have become mainstream, and it is likely no good will come of that. Inexperience and not thinking through the consequences can cause problems, on top of that add a few troubled personalities (i.e. creeps) and it will get out of hand. There are allready some rumblings between the FAA and the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) concerning this issue. And just like the gun debate (legitimate hunting rifles vs assault rifles) all RC airplanes are being lumped in with what people refer to as "drones". In reality any RC airplane is a drone I guess. To us airplane guys a "drone" is typically a quadcopter or similar. There are fixed wing aircraft that are purpose designed for video equipment that I would also refer to as a "drone". People are doing all sorts of stupid stuff, like the idiot at the space needle, if he would have lost control he could have hit people either directly or from falling on them. Flying them at sporting events over people to get video and such is a national news headline waiting to happen. Do you suppose these idiots have liability insurance? Those types of antics go against the AMA codes. Very similar to what happens when idiots have guns, makes all of us gun owners look bad.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Clearly destruction of private property isn't a concern of people on here :3 Next time someone is parked in front of my house on the street, I'll be sure to slash their tires because I don't like them there and clearly that alone justifies destruction of property.
If you were concerned about your private property it wouldn't be flying around in my yard. If you don't care about it I certainly don't. This is no different than the dead/leaking home invaders. If they didn't want to be dead or leaking they would have simple went to their house.

RemingtonDroneLoads_zpsd964821e.jpg

There will probably have to be new laws on the books once these drones become much more common. I have seen one in use myself. There are now drones available for about $500.00 and tiny camera systems available for those drones for about $700.00.

People being what they are once the drones are commonplace there will be numerous cases of people trying to spy on other people.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
what if it takes a pic of you shooting it and sends it to the fbi?

I wouldn't care, if something is flying around over my house and I can't identify it, it's getting shot down...what are they gonna do, arrest me? They've got no right flying those things around snooping into everybody's business anyway...

Last edited:
And sends it to the FBI? FBI doesn't look into misdemeanors. A lot of local PD's don't do much with misdemeanors anymore either. Whacking someone's r/c quadcopter is vandalism at best.

No the PD's do not do much with misdemeanors. The departments are more focused on obtaining warrants to search residents to deploy their SWAT teams.

completely off topic but related.. Power parachute's.. I live in a very , very secluded area and the yahoo's with power Parachutes love to come buzzing over my property.. im not going to lie it bothers me bad. especialy when they circle around and are clearly snooping.. whaddya do with that ???

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
And sends it to the FBI? FBI doesn't look into misdemeanors. A lot of local PD's don't do much with misdemeanors anymore either. Whacking someone's r/c quadcopter is vandalism at best.

FBI would probably be upset that someone destroyed what is probably a very expensive piece of government property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back