Hybrid oil change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found out from logging into Toyota's site and looking up the VIN# that my Prius was getting oil changes every 12K miles with dino oil. Does this spell engine damage at my curreny 130,000 miles? With this type of car when the engine runs half the time can you go longer oil change intervals? I guess they could have been getting oil changes somewhere else some of the time but that scares me.

With dino especially, at 130k with those long intervals, I'd suspect the beginnings of sludge or bad sludge.

That is a good point you make.
Maybe it counts that the engine in a Prius only runs something like 50% to 90% of the entire duty cycle. Almost no idling time. Still I'd suspect sludge with a dino history.

How does it look from the oil cap hole? Any signs of sludge? In here oil change interval is 15 000 km/9 700 miles for all Toyota Models.

Prius has atkinson cycle engine which could be easier for oil due lower temps around exhaust valve (more expansion -> lower exhaust temps).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: allboy
With this type of car when the engine runs half the time can you go longer oil change intervals?

I would suspect the odometer shows how many miles the car traveled regardless if the engine is running or not. Good question for the Prius dealer on what the oil change interval is based on. What's the owner's manual say?

My parents have a prius; the amount of time the car is moving without the engine on is probably < 5% of the time. The advantage IMHO is the capture of energy going downhills and braking and the start/stop @ long lights.

I would not extend the OCI based on "time the engine might be off" over something more substantial like "highway miles"

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
With this type of car when the engine runs half the time can you go longer oil change intervals?

I would suspect the odometer shows how many miles the car traveled regardless if the engine is running or not. Good question for the Prius dealer on what the oil change interval is based on. What's the owner's manual say?

I think the book say's 5K

Could be allboy needs to do a couple of quick oil changes with a high-detergent oil (lots of calcium and/or magnesium), and use a 5-minute Engine Flush just prior to each 2,000 mile oil changes to be sure the sludge, if not imaginary, is reduced.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Only thing I've wondered about with them is the constant off/on of the gas engine.

Like your Ford hybrid, the engine starts/stops often, gettin no oil pressure at times. Yet they seem to last forever anyway. I don't understand it.

well, engine wear can be directly correlated with fuel consumed better than miles or time.
There was some article breaking down all the maintenace minders with lots of variables; but for the average driver you could boil away all those variables to just 1 variable of fuel used.

So if you're going by say 250 gallons of fuel consumed that equals
50mpg: 12,500miles
20mpg: 5000 miles

That being said, Toyota vehicle's oil change reminder lights have been known to just be "dumb" odometers that tick over at a particular mileage. I can't say specifically for the Prius, but it's true for their other vehicles

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Only thing I've wondered about with them is the constant off/on of the gas engine.

I wonder as well, if it does not run continuously enough to get the oil hot, then its just like short tripping any other car. I would change it more often probably with a good dino, like pyb or mobil conventional.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wonder as well, if it does not run continuously enough to get the oil hot, then its just like short tripping any other car.

No, if you've ever driven a Prius you know the engine is running 95% of the time.

As simple_gifts mentioned earlier...

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wonder as well, if it does not run continuously enough to get the oil hot, then its just like short tripping any other car.

No, if you've ever driven a Prius you know the engine is running 95% of the time.

As simple_gifts mentioned earlier...

Not true. How much the engine runs also depend on how aggressive you are on the gas pedal.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
the amount of time the car is moving without the engine on is probably < 5% of the time. The advantage IMHO is the capture of energy going downhills and braking and the start/stop @ long lights.

Not true. How much the engine runs also depend on how aggressive you are on the gas pedal.

Yeah, at the first 2 SECONDS of take off.

If your moving at ANY moderate speeds, the motor is running whether you like it or not.

simple_gifts is 100% correct.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
the amount of time the car is moving without the engine on is probably < 5% of the time. The advantage IMHO is the capture of energy going downhills and braking and the start/stop @ long lights.

Yeah, at the first 2 SECONDS of take off.

If your moving at ANY moderate speeds, the motor is running whether you like it or not.

simple_gifts is 100% correct.

I can make the entire trip to work which is 13.1 miles with the motor on for at most 4 at the start. As long as I take the same route, which is 45 mph the gas engine doesn't come on. I made almost 12 of those borrowing my dads '13 fusion hybrid. Also idk how the AC works on the newer gen Prius but the one on my car is an electric compressor and I can get cold air with battery power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back