Car Quest Oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I've never done business with Car quest before b/c they never were around me... found one locally now that we moved. Seems promising... old school small time joint. Their website doesn't offer any kind of parts lookup. What kind of oil filters do they offer? Application of interest is for a 2006 Honda Accord 4cyl.

Car Quest Red and Blue line. Blue is their premium filters.

They are made by Wix. Good filters.

The car quest I 've seen are made by various OEM. The ones I've bought (for subaru and toyota)have been made by Clarecore/baldwin and didnt have precisely built media gluing, folding and low pleat count. Wouldnt buy them again.

Huh. Guess Maybe I should stick to a L or PL. In the end I always come back to Purolator for whatever reason... price, quality, availability. Jeez.

Try one. Cut it open and compare it to a Purolator. Remove the filter media, stretch it out and measure it. Let us know.

I had one for the same car. It was a wix. Here's pics of the filters for your car, the Carquest is in the middle:

2uh2ssi.jpg

I prefer the purolator for this app, but the Wix is better made and better designed, but shorter on surface area by a wide margin. The center core of the Wix is noticeably larger, the media area is shorter, and with less pleats.

Your accord uses the Purolator 14610/Wix 1356 size, correct? I like the Wix 1356, personally. According to the Wix website it offers very good beta ratios. Purolators are great filters too, so it's probably splitting hairs.
bepperb - Thanks for posting that pic, I didn't know the Purolator had so much more media!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The car quest I 've seen are made by various OEM. The ones I've bought (for subaru and toyota)have been made by Clarecore/baldwin and didnt have precisely built media gluing, folding and low pleat count. Wouldnt buy them again.

How long ago was this? It appears you cut them open to determine this?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

How long ago was this? It appears you cut them open to determine this?
Just looked at my cut open pix - I bought them at carquest but was a federated brand, not carquest. OOpps. Sorry.

There's really nothing wrong with the Fram Extra Guard, though I only buy them if they're on sale. There are other alternatives that work just as well for less money, which is my biggest gripe with them these days. The Carquest Red should be very similar (if not the same) to the Napa ProSelect and the Microgard. Carquest Blue filters are akin to a regular Wix/Napa Gold.

Saw a guy buy motorcraft oil and a fram orange. Why? For my ford, the fl400s is 3.99 at walmart but 3.69 at advanced auto and autozone yet the fram cod is 3.74 at Walmart, so for a few cents more, you can get a motorcraft which can last 7500 miles and has a silicone dab and other superior features to the fram! U got motorcraft oil, why not get a motorcraft filter! But fram! It's a quarters difference, but I guess to some, a quarter is a lot of money

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Not bad like fram ocod

They should be around 80% efficient like the Napa Silvers. The Fram orange can is still more efficient than that as well as the higher tiered premium filter. Better value too IMO.

But anyways.. CARQUEST are WIX made. Nothing wrong with them, but they seem overpriced compared to the WIX at Oreillys or even the Napa Gold. Their Napa Silver equivalent is even a little bit more $$$ compared to the Napa Silver.. But if its all you have, go for it. It wont break the bank. I'm just a bargain hunter. Lol.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
But it has paper end caps! I heard some of that paper gets lodged up in the engine

Or are they just fram bashing?

Technically it's cellulose/ synthetic fiber, which is what the media is constructed off. The Fram horror stories are just like PYB and Quaker State oil causing sludge. Old stories for 30-40 years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back