2000 Nissan Sentra 1.8L oil weight recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey BITOGERS I have a new to me Sentra with right at 200k miles on it. I live in the FL panhandle and was wondering what oil weight you would suggest I use? I was thinking of going the synthetic route, for extended oci's, but honestly I'm all ears!

1. What does your owners manual say ?

2. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)

3. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)

Hey Bud the owners manual that came with the car is in pretty bad shape and missing pages. Unfortunately the oil weight page is missing. I'm pretty much an easy driver with around 70/30 hwy/city driving and my daily drive is around 50 miles round trip mainly highway.

Thanks memphis!

I believe those were speced to run 5w-30 or 10w-30. I doubt it gets below freezing where you are very often (if at all) so perhaps a good synthetic 10w-30 would serve you well. If you plan on changing the oil every 5k or less, you'd probably be better off with a conventional.

Yeah, 5k conventional 10k synthetic unless you have reason to believe the engine is already sludged or dirty.

If so i would stick with a few 5k syn runs.

I recommend Fram Tough Guard oil filters for up to 7,500 mile filter intervals, and Fram Ultras for up to 15,000 mile intervals. If you use a Fram Ultra you can keep it on for 15,000 miles regardless of how many oil changes you do.

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
Hey Bud the owners manual that came with the car is in pretty bad shape and missing pages. Unfortunately the oil weight page is missing. I'm pretty much an easy driver with around 70/30 hwy/city driving and my daily drive is around 50 miles round trip mainly highway.

then I would have to agree with 901 - 5W-30 FTW

Let me ask this how do you guys/gals think regular mobil1 syn 5w-30 would hold up for 7.5k to 10k oci's? The flip side is I pulled the dipstick and saw what looked to be small specks of carbon in the oil so I was thinking of adding a tad bit of seafoam to the oil for the last 100 miles of this change, then going with 2 1/4 oil and 3/4 quart of MMO for the next four oil changes (3k oci), then, going with mobil1 syn 5w30 after that?

If you're seeing solids on the dipstick, I'd stay with some short runs of dino 10W-30 for a while until it clears up. 2-3k OCI & FCI.

That's what I was thinking. Thinking of either mixing in mmo for those runs or moving to high detergent oil. I've been out of the oil loop for awhile, but, I remember not too long ago pyb was supposedly pretty good. Would there be anything that's readily available via wally world that may be an even higher detergent dino or should I go with the cheapest oil I can find mixed with mmo?

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
That's what I was thinking. Thinking of either mixing in mmo for those runs or moving to high detergent oil. I've been out of the oil loop for awhile, but, I remember not too long ago pyb was supposedly pretty good. Would there be anything that's readily available via wally world that may be an even higher detergent dino or should I go with the cheapest oil I can find mixed with mmo?

Try 20% mmo/cheap oil/cheap filter for 1500-2000 miles, then drain and repeat as desired. The stuff works great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back