Truck Double Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Not everyone can. Some people HAVE TO get to work!

The planet won't stop turning if you, or anyone else for that matter misses a couple days of work...

Pablum. Howzabout YOU try getting down an unpaved road covered with a foot of snow in a Forester!

That actually doesn't sound too challenging if you're equipped with the right tires.

Originally Posted By: grampi

The planet won't stop turning if you, or anyone else for that matter misses a couple days of work...

No but if you're Fire, Police, EMS, Doctor, work at a hospital, etc. you may have to be there and there are dire consequences for those not being able to get to work.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
No but if you're Fire, Police, EMS, Doctor, work at a hospital, etc. you may have to be there and there are dire consequences for those not being able to get to work.

Dire consequences? Like... tar and feathering or something?

Clearly certain people have certain specialized transportation needs. But unless you live in some remote area that doesn't operate an army of snow plows, a gigantic lifted monster truck is something you buy because it's a hobby. "It's a hobby" is as good an excuse as any to buy a gigantic truck, there's no need to over-rationalize this.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

Or simply getting fired. I count myself as very fortunate and blessed to have a job where I can call in and take leave on a pretty liberal basis, but many people work in fields where if you don't show up, or even stay at home without prior approval, you're s-canned and they'll find 5 more people in line for your job.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Or simply getting fired. I count myself as very fortunate and blessed to have a job where I can call in and take leave on a pretty liberal basis, but many people work in fields where if you don't show up, or even stay at home without prior approval, you're s-canned and they'll find 5 more people in line for your job.

Nobody should be working for an employer that is so inflexible (and idiotic) as to fire someone for not coming to work during, or immediately after a blizzard...that's just plain nonsense...

If your boss would fire you for not showing up in weather that's so bad that they can't even get the snow plows out, you should probably take him/her to court.

There are certain jobs where you're expected to go out in the worst weather, linemen are a great example of this, but these people go home with their work vehicles either on a regular basis, or when they know it's about to get stupid outside.

Again, there's no need to over-rationalize this. If big trucks tickle you where it matters and you have the money, go crazy. But saying that the average doctor in Montana needs an F-350 to avoid getting fired for not being able to make it to work in the middle of a nasty blizzard seems a touch ridiculous to me.

Nobody should be working for an employer that is so inflexible (and idiotic) as to fire someone for not coming to work during, or immediately after a blizzard...that's just plain nonsense...

I'd be careful to not judge others for being in the situation they're in. Different people have all sorts of difference circumstances going on.

Again, there's no need to over-rationalize this. If big trucks tickle you where it matters and you have the money, go crazy. But saying that the average doctor in Montana needs an F-350 to avoid getting fired for not being able to make it to work in the middle of a nasty blizzard seems a touch ridiculous to me.

I agree with you. I support people being able to spend their money however they like. And I didn't bring up the notion that some people have to get to work "or else". But after some others questioned it, I felt compelled to point out that some people truly do have "show up or else" types of jobs. I suppose you could bring your employer to court if that happened, the bottom line is, you're still out of a job. And many states are at-will employment states anyway. I know...side topic to the real conversation here (whatever that is at this point).

I agree with you. I support people being able to spend their money however they like. And I didn't bring up the notion that some people have to get to work "or else". But after some others questioned it, I felt compelled to point out that some people truly do have "show up or else" types of jobs. I suppose you could bring your employer to court if that happened, the bottom line is, you're still out of a job. And many states are at-will employment states anyway. I know...side topic to the real conversation here (whatever that is at this point).

Yeah, totally true. But I like to imagine that if you're in one of those jobs it was made perfectly clear up front what the expectations were.

Anyway, back to trucks...

0811_01z_2010_ford_F150_raptor_front_three_quarters_view_sliding_in_sand_detail.jpg

Truck yeah, mother trucker.

But seriously, Raptors are sweet.

I'd be careful to not judge others for being in the situation they're in. Different people have all sorts of difference circumstances going on.

That comment was directed more towards employers than employees...

There are plenty of fuel efficient vehicles that'll go anywhere a gas guzzler 4 X 4 will go....Subaru comes to mind just for one...

Sure, those are one trick ponies... simple transportation needs. If it were just a matter of going somewhere, yes, those might do. But It is hard to haul a couple of drums of oil in them, a dozen 3' tree transplants, or 1/2 ton of concrete, or a dozen bales of hay, or 30 fence posts, or pull a 300 gallon fuel wagon thru the cornfield. Guess you didn't read my previous post that some of us get those gas guzzlers for additional reasons than just grocery getters, which mine also has to do. My pickup has to fill a lot of jobs, and almost all of them are personal and not business related tasks.

And I would dearly love to see a Subaru Outback take on the drifts on the gravel roads in my neck of the woods after a snow storm. Bring one up next winter and I'll watch you from the comfort of my pickup. Likewise, I want to watch a Subaru Outback go over one or more of the conservation terraces on my property that my slightly lifted 4x4 pickup has to go over.... after a rain storm. Man, you got me chomping at the bit! I want to see that one! I'll provide the BBQ and refreshments! And you can't cheat by crossing over to the other guy's property and going around the terraces either. It has to take us to town to go to the movies, it also has to haul stuff I need for the property. All of our transportation needs are done by that one gas guzzler. But I have not found a vehicle that got 30+ mpg yet that can be up to what all I need my pickup to do.

Remember, the things they show those vehicles doing on T.V. are staged and setup to make the vehicle look good. I have never had a film crew come out to my property and record what would happen to one of those Subaru's having to deal with my property in bad weather.

^ I think the problem is that for everybody who doesn't live on a farm, I believe it's fair to say "most people", that "one trick pony" Subaru is beyond sufficient.

I know what it's like to need an honest-to-God work pickup as a utility vehicle on a farm. You're not going to use an Outback to haul a fuel drum out to the middle of a tilled field because the idiot in a tractor wasn't paying attention to the fuel level. But if those were the only people who bought trucks they wouldn't consist of such a large percentage of vehicles on the road right now.

Most of the people I know who have full size trucks live in a suburban home working their city jobs, mostly office workers. These people have trucks because they like trucks, and that's cool. But if any one of them told me that they "needed" that truck, I'd break out a dictionary and show them that the word "need" doesn't mean what they think it means.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

There are plenty of fuel efficient vehicles that'll go anywhere a gas guzzler 4 X 4 will go....Subaru comes to mind just for one...

Sure, those are one trick ponies... simple transportation needs. If it were just a matter of going somewhere, yes, those might do. But It is hard to haul a couple of drums of oil in them, a dozen 3' tree transplants, or 1/2 ton of concrete, or a dozen bales of hay, or 30 fence posts, or pull a 300 gallon fuel wagon thru the cornfield. Guess you didn't read my previous post that some of us get those gas guzzlers for additional reasons than just grocery getters, which mine also has to do. My pickup has to fill a lot of jobs, and almost all of them are personal and not business related tasks.

And I would dearly love to see a Subaru Outback take on the drifts on the gravel roads in my neck of the woods after a snow storm. Bring one up next winter and I'll watch you from the comfort of my pickup. Likewise, I want to watch a Subaru Outback go over one or more of the conservation terraces on my property that my slightly lifted 4x4 pickup has to go over.... after a rain storm. Man, you got me chomping at the bit! I want to see that one! I'll provide the BBQ and refreshments! And you can't cheat by crossing over to the other guy's property and going around the terraces either. It has to take us to town to go to the movies, it also has to haul stuff I need for the property. All of our transportation needs are done by that one gas guzzler. But I have not found a vehicle that got 30+ mpg yet that can be up to what all I need my pickup to do.

Remember, the things they show those vehicles doing on T.V. are staged and setup to make the vehicle look good. I have never had a film crew come out to my property and record what would happen to one of those Subaru's having to deal with my property in bad weather.

I don't doubt your need for a truck and you're correct when you say you're not going to haul all that stuff in a Subaru. However, traversing the obstacles you mentioned would be no problem. People seem to forget than an Outback has the same ground clearance as an F-150 or Grand Cherokee.

Originally Posted By: glock19
However, traversing the obstacles you mentioned would be no problem. People seem to forget than an Outback has the same ground clearance as an F-150 or Grand Cherokee.

Not to make this a slam against Subaru (like their cars) but it's not the same ground clearance as an F150:

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/outback/2014/features-specs.html
GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 8.7 in. (8.7 in.)
ANGLE OF APPROACH 18.3 degrees
ANGLE OF DEPARTURE 22.2 degrees

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2014/features-specs.html?style=200489509
GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 9 in. (9 in.)
Ford's Approach angle for a 4x4 Supercrew is 25.8
Ford's Departure angle for a 4x4 Supercrew is 24.7

The Jeep is close:
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2014/features-specs.html?style=200462923
GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 8.6 in. (8.6 in.)
ANGLE OF APPROACH 26.3 degrees
ANGLE OF DEPARTURE 26.5 degrees

The Subaru might get the job done but I can imagine some circumstances where you would need that extra .3" of clearance and better angles of the F150. Or the even better still angles of the Jeep.

I personally don't care what anyone drives. It's their right to buy what they like and can afford.

Well if your a brain surgeon like my friend is and you have a procedure scheduled way in advance...it could be one of your relatives laying on the table waiting to get worked on...luckily he isn't a cheap brain surgeon and his ancient Corolla with Walmart tires isn't stuck. I guess he could just say screw it and let the person hemorrhage... Nope my friend drives the Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser, good thing for whoever is on the table...

Most of the people I know in the medical profession drive 4x4 trucks because yes sometimes you really do have to get into work or someone might die.

Another one of my friends does pacemakers, and sometimes grandpas pacemaker acts up at say 3am when their is 12in of snow on the ground. Should he just let grandpa lay their because gas costs soooooooooooooooooooo much? Thankfully he drives a brand new Suburban.

Last edited:

X2.

Must be nice to just be able to tell the boss "screw you" and go get a new job of equal pay tomorrow. For most people, especially now, that is not a realistic option. Employers have the leverage.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Well if your a brain surgeon like my friend is and you have a procedure scheduled way in advance...it could be one of your relatives laying on the table waiting to get worked on...luckily he isn't a cheap brain surgeon and his ancient Corolla with Walmart tires isn't stuck. I guess he could just say screw it and let the person hemorrhage... Nope my friend drives the Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser, good thing for whoever is on the table...

Most of the people I know in the medical profession drive 4x4 trucks because yes sometimes you really do have to get into work or someone might die.

Another one of my friends does pacemakers, and sometimes grandpas pacemaker acts up at say 3am when their is 12in of snow on the ground. Should he just let grandpa lay their because gas costs soooooooooooooooooooo much? Thankfully he drives a brand new Suburban.

My wife drives a wrecker (I used to), her best friend is an ER nurse. They NEED to be able to get to work!

Originally Posted By: glock19

I don't doubt your need for a truck and you're correct when you say you're not going to haul all that stuff in a Subaru. However, traversing the obstacles you mentioned would be no problem. People seem to forget than an Outback has the same ground clearance as an F-150 or Grand Cherokee.

As I stated, someone is more than welcome to bring a Subaru out to my place and cross over the conservation terraces on my property with it. I will provide the food and drink to watch this one. And many of the snow drifts on the gravel road, before the county gets around to clearing them off, have to be hit at a good speed to even hope of getting a pickup thru them. And my pickup is slightly lifted. Those that aren't familiar with situations like this, it is not like tackling a snow drift on a city street for sure. it isn't because we are a bunch of hay seed hicks out here in the country that we own those gas guzzling pickups. And it sure isn't to impress the neighbors. It is a necessity. On occasion, someone gets hurt and they need to be taken to medical attention right away. Those situations are rare, but we don't wait for them to happen to then realize we should have bought something that could handle what we need to get thru.

Oh, and it isn't because the "idiot" on the tractor didn't remember to top off that fuel is brought out to the field, it is because a lot of work is being done and it isn't practical to bring a combine during harvest clear back to the main building to fuel and then run all the way back to the field. I am sure many have met up with a combine on the highway at some time. And driving it back and forth is wasteful of both time and fuel. Likewise, it is not practical to drive a D6 Cat dozer back to the fuel barrel to fill up, when it is doing a job several miles away. You have to take the fuel to them. The state would not look too highly on driving a D6 Cat on the road. I realize many folks have limited experience with such things, so it might be best if they hold off taking pot shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back