Oil and filter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 F150 5.4 3 valve 140k miles. I live down 2 miles of horribly rough and dusty county road, then another 6 miles of hilly curvy rural highway into town. When I drive it to work I get an additional 8 miles on the interstate. I occasionally tow a tractor, total trailer weight an estimated 6k pounds for 40 miles. I do have a tuner installed on the truck. I would like to stick with a 5k interval. I have used MC 5w20, Pyb 5w20, PP 5w20 and PU 5w30 in the past. I had consumption with the Motorcraft so I switched to PYB and it was reduced. I found deals to good to pass up on the PP and PU so that's why I went that route for awhile. I have always used a Motorcraft filter. Not really sure if a synthetic is necessary under my conditions being as I change at 5k miles. Have been reading good things about the Fram Ultra filters as well. So, 5w20, 5w30, conventional, synthetic, filter?

If u are happy with Penz oil and motorcraft filters, then I would stick to it. Fram ultra filters are good for 10k miles OCI or more so it would be kind of a waste at 5k mile OCI.

I'd stick with the Motorcraft filter for it's better by-pass design. If you want grater filtering ability I'd go with M1.
With a 5,000 OCI, in the 5W-20 grade I think any API oil is more than up to the job.

cb_13, your dusty road driving means you could use the oil filter with the most dirt holding capacity, Fram Ultra, beats them all, and it flows and filters out smaller particles as well.

Also, any good 0w-20 synthetic oil you find at Walmart will work. Better cold starts, higher VI helps keep it from thinning out as much hot.

Penz High Mileage and Motorcraft filter would be my choice.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

With a 5,000 OCI, in the 5W-20 grade I think any API oil is more than up to the job.

This^

Thanks for the input. Looks like I will stick with conventional unless I catch another $2 a quart sale on synthetics. High mileage is another good option but from VOA's the add pack on PYB looks plenty strong. So more questions, is there any reason to believe I could not do a 7500 mile OCI w/PYB on my car? It's an 02 ZX2 155k miles a little over 1k miles per month 90% highway driven. I've been doing 5k intervals with no consumption and when I did the timing belt and valve cover gasket at 120k the engine was extremely clean. I realize color is not an indicator of oil life but it is dark amber color when changed not black. Also sounds like 1 OCI on MC filter or 2 OCI's on FU are options for both my vehicles with cost being pretty much equal for either choice.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Thanks for the input. Looks like I will stick with conventional unless I catch another $2 a quart sale on synthetics. High mileage is another good option but from VOA's the add pack on PYB looks plenty strong. So more questions, is there any reason to believe I could not do a 7500 mile OCI w/PYB on my car? It's an 02 ZX2 155k miles a little over 1k miles per month 90% highway driven. I've been doing 5k intervals with no consumption and when I did the timing belt and valve cover gasket at 120k the engine was extremely clean. I realize color is not an indicator of oil life but it is dark amber color when changed not black. Also sounds like 1 OCI on MC filter or 2 OCI's on FU are options for both my vehicles with cost being pretty much equal for either choice.

I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't. My girlfriend's dad has one with well over 200k miles with the absolute bare minimum of maintenance. My sister used to have one that I maintained with Pennzoil 5W-20 and Purolator and Motorcraft filters that is still running today after we sold it to my cousin (who neglects it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back