Purolator PL10241 Cut Open - 3 Tears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Does anybody STILL want to say this is a non issue? No takers? ok.

Wait! You did not even give me a chance to reply.

I will say it, it's a non-issue. If you knew the Purolator filters were BAD why was there one on YOUR car? Get over it or get a different brand. If you have any PL20195's or PL14610's send them my way.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
In my opinion tears would not cause an engine failure. Sure, I expect better quality from Purolator.

Increased wear probably, engine failure not likely, unless a piece of the media clogs something. But, (and this is not directed at you personally) it does not make sense to me why anyone would knowingly use a product that gives far less than expected performance. I like Purolator and would like to continue using their filters, but I will not knowingly pay them for filters that will tear.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
In my opinion tears would not cause an engine failure. Sure, I expect better quality from Purolator.

Increased wear probably, engine failure not likely, unless a piece of the media clogs something. But, (and this is not directed at you personally) it does not make sense to me why anyone would knowingly use a product that gives far less than expected performance. I like Purolator and would like to continue using their filters, but I will not knowingly pay them for filters that will tear.

Exactly. This is different from the FRAM OCOD thing. Those filters by and large were fine, we may not have liked the way they were made, but there wasn't a track record of actual failure documented by many people in a single place. AS others have said, the fact that BITOG is such a tiny portion of the market, and we are still seeing the numbers of failures we are, indicates this is a massive widespread problem, but purolator thus far doesn't seem willing to even acknowledge that it's a problem. As I said, I don't plan on using a purolator made filter until they've acknowledged it's a problem, and taken steps to fix it. I'll stick with FRAM Ultra, and NAPA gold filters until then.

Quote:
I like Purolator and would like to continue using their filters, but I will not knowingly pay them for filters that will tear.

+1 ... I guess the guys who view the tear as "no big deal" and want to keep using them are true brand loyalists, and just don't care what the quality of the product is anymore. I bet if there was no name on the side of the can, and they knew the filter could tear in use, they'd drop it like a hot potato for something better.

Well, you know the rules. You shouldn't stockpile your oil filters. No one should extend OCIs. Texas winters are terribly hard on Purolator media.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, you know the rules. You shouldn't stockpile your oil filters. No one should extend OCIs. Texas winters are terribly hard on Purolator media.
wink.gif

LOL! Touche!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Does anybody STILL want to say this is a non issue? No takers? ok.

I am now a believer. Anyone that has a P1 on their engine or a stockpile of them should treat them as the FROM OCOD........TARGET PRACTICE!

I removed the P1 I installed about a week ago and replaced it with an Ultra (this P1 has 331 miles on it). As promised, I dissected it and took photos of each end at the seam as well as one down the middle.

I believe this one would have torn at some point just as the one in the OP simply due to the wide spread of the adjacent pleats to the seam pleat.

Have P1's always had the metal clamp on the seam? I thought some of the ones I have seen in the past were simply glued together? As a possible reason for the tears, (if in fact they recently started using metal clamps versus gluing) is it because the machine to install the metal clamp needs more space than simply gluing them together thus contributing to the 'v-spread' on the adjacent pleats?

Zt9UqR.jpg

oDFG96.jpg

obQncV.jpg

Purolator uses both the crimped metal seam and the glued seam, it depends on the model of the filter. We have seen tears in both, but metal crimped seams have shown way more tears.

The V-spread on the one you posted up here isn't really very bad. Is it as bad as this one below? It doesn't look like it by the photos you posted.

It's possible to have widely spaced pleats that don't have much V-spread. That's what it looks like on the photos you posted here.

DSCF7137a.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The V-spread on the one you posted up here isn't really very bad. Is it as bad as this one below? It doesn't look like it by the photos you posted.

It's possible to have widely spaced pleats that don't have much V-spread. That's what it looks like on the photos you posted here.

I guess I should have 'cut' the media to see how bad it was (it is sitting miles away from me ATM). I wonder if the force of the metal combined with the spread is what is causing it. It is a shame really, it leaves me (more or less) with FRAM (made in the US) and WIX/NAPA (made in Mexico--at least the ones I have bought) as choices. Not so many other readily available filters at comparable cost points (that I am aware of).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I guess I should have 'cut' the media to see how bad it was (it is sitting miles away from me ATM). I wonder if the force of the metal combined with the spread is what is causing it. It is a shame really, it leaves me (more or less) with FRAM (made in the US) and WIX/NAPA (made in Mexico--at least the ones I have bought) as choices. Not so many other readily available filters at comparable cost points (that I am aware of).

Motorcraft?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Motorcraft?

True; provided the 'tearing syndrome' does not plague them as well (they are Purolator built). I have not had any to date, but there have been one or two posted in the recent past.

Motorcraft?

True; provided the 'tearing syndrome' does not plague them as well (they are Purolator built). I have not had any to date, but there have been one or two posted in the recent past.

One would think that Ford would find another filter manufacturer before their product would become jeopardized.

Motorcraft?

One would think that Ford would find another filter manufacturer before their product would become jeopardized.

Fully agree with you
wink.gif

Purolator used to be my main filter but now I'm looking elsewhere. Anybody who doesn't think this is a problem (QA wise) is mistaken IMO.

I cut the el-cheapo Quaker State (Puro Classic) equivalent of that same filter open earlier this weekend, and it was nothing but perfect.

Odd. Looks like to me, that the metal bar that they're using to crimp the media is a lot of the problem...

Here.

Motorcraft?

Or have a very serious meeting with Purolator on QC issues.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I cut the el-cheapo Quaker State (Puro Classic) equivalent of that same filter open earlier this weekend, and it was nothing but perfect.

Odd. Looks like to me, that the metal bar that they're using to crimp the media is a lot of the problem...

Here.

There have been some Purolators with the glued seam that have also had media tears. Not as prevalent, but it has been happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back