Oil Questions (Mower)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooo yes. I hadn't though of the VR1 10w-30. That's a great Valvoline product for this application.

Still, 50 hour OCIs is the way to go.

I been running GC in my 27HP air cooled Kohler for the last 9 years. I think it's a top notch mower engine oil.

I spent some time at an outdoor equipment show with many of the mower and engine manufacturers present. Several had their house brand (Kohler, Briggs, etc.) oils on display. A quick look at the bottles revealed that a majority were SJ or SL oils. Made me wonder if the extra antiwear additives allowed in some of the older spec oils was still preferred in the air cooled engines.

Last edited:
Mowers are frequently running in dusty environments. The most important factor, in my mind, is getting that oil out of there when it's dirty. Note that the quality of the original oil comes to lesser importance in this situation. That is, change it at 25 or 50 hours based on dirt and pay attention to the air filter.

Having said all that, I find today's dino oils to be so expensive, there is little difference in price to use synthetic.

Agree with the others, 50 Hours is as long as I'd go in this application.

Our generators and compressors get 15w-40 hdeo at 100 hour intervals. They all require roughly a quart of oil. At 100 hours the oil is blackened but not grit or dirty.
I don't bother with synthetics in OPE. We run generators 10 hours a day 6 days a week,the air compressors run the same duty cycle.
Fuel dilution is our largest issue.

Switching to synthetic in our 26hp kohler made a ton of difference. No more startup smoke or consumption. With the price of supertech or other store brand warren products, I can't find a reason not to change it every 25hr. Air cooled lawn mowershave a rough life

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
Switching to synthetic in our 26hp kohler made a ton of difference. No more startup smoke or consumption. With the price of supertech or other store brand warren products, I can't find a reason not to change it every 25hr. Air cooled lawn mowershave a rough life

I totally agree, especially with splash lubrication and not filtration...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back