Opinion on this new pennzoil platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I've seen a lot of advertising on this new oil pennzoil is advertising. Personally I have always used mobil 1 in my car but what is all the hype about and what's everyone's opinion.

the hype? they are spending a buttload of $$ to try and recoup the $$ they spent on getting their GTL (Gas To Liquid) tech Dialed in. (this stuff is made from Natural Gas(the stuff found with Crude), not the Crude oil itself don't ya know)
also it's a good quality product(and with MIR can be Had for Less than their also excellent Conv. Oils). it's what i've got up next in Rotation for both cars.

I am using PP GTL 5W30 in a 2012 Accent which I change at 5k and my service tech at quicklane is uber impressed with how clean my engine and fill cap look. I was not a pennzoil guy to start(M1 5w30) but it has done very well. I think it is actually better per dollar than PUP. I drive 5000 miles every two weeks and though all highway, it has held up quite well. I will continue to use PP 5W30 until 200k then switch to M1 HM 5w30. I have also added 90ml of mos2 from liquimoly as I have used it since 10,000 miles and the more I use it the less it needs. When I check my throttle plate there is no residue either. I would however consider QSUD in a pinch without a problem but so far PP has served me well. Right now I am on PU because I found some on clearance, but its hardly available in the new form, but the old stuff runs similiar to the redline I used before, like a champ. If you have DI engine like I do then a low noack synthetic oil with redline si-1 fuel cleaner does the trick. I am currently cleaning throttle every 10k w/ Crc GDI cleaner with positive results.

Thinking of trying Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on the next oil changes (car and truck). Got M1 High Mileage in them now.

How would anyone know at this point...? It's out less than a year.

Everyone can have any opinion, but an opinion informed by experience and data...too early to say.

If your motor likes Pennzoil try it...if it likes M1 why be an early adopter?..advertizing is intended to offset the attitude "let someone else experiment with their engine"...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
I am using PP GTL 5W30 in a 2012 Accent which I change at 5k and my service tech at quicklane is uber impressed with how clean my engine and fill cap look. I was not a pennzoil guy to start(M1 5w30) but it has done very well. I think it is actually better per dollar than PUP. I drive 5000 miles every two weeks and though all highway, it has held up quite well. I will continue to use PP 5W30 until 200k then switch to M1 HM 5w30. I have also added 90ml of mos2 from liquimoly as I have used it since 10,000 miles and the more I use it the less it needs. When I check my throttle plate there is no residue either. I would however consider QSUD in a pinch without a problem but so far PP has served me well. Right now I am on PU because I found some on clearance, but its hardly available in the new form, but the old stuff runs similiar to the redline I used before, like a champ. If you have DI engine like I do then a low noack synthetic oil with redline si-1 fuel cleaner does the trick. I am currently cleaning throttle every 10k w/ Crc GDI cleaner with positive results.

So you drive 130k/year? That's crazy.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you use Pennzoil Platinum, you'll missing out on the smoothness of MAG 1 SuperTech.

those are 2 different brands from one manufacturer.

it's like saying saying you'll love the taste of Pepsi Mountain Dew
or the handling of the new Cadillac Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back