Oil additive packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read many times that the proprietary additive packs that are added to oil don't last as long as the useful life of the oil itself. However, about how many miles do the additive packs usually last? 1,000? 2,000?

Thanks.

Please point to your sources.

Base oil and PI packages stay with the mix a long time.

It's blowby gasses, fuel dilution, moisture and heat that contaminates this mix and requires changing it.

Originally Posted By: dan765
I've read many times that the proprietary additive packs that are added to oil don't last as long as the useful life of the oil itself. However, about how many miles do the additive packs usually last? 1,000? 2,000?

Thanks.

please be specific and include sources or that's going to be dismissed as FUD

Smokey's Power Secrets gives that impression when discussing synthetics, that the synthetic basestocks are eternal, and just need additive replenishment...I put that down to the emerging knowledge at the time, rather than fact.

The local tech agent for Wynns back in the early 90s was running M1 5W-20 (IIRC at the time), but was using a bypass filter, Oil analysis (Wynns obviously did it), and was re-additising his oil on a perpetual oil change.

Removal of conatimants (bypass filter), top-ups, and monitoring, he probably could have gone perpetual without the adds.

I apologize for asking such an ambiguous question. I don't have any 'official' sources, just things I've read here and there. You can always believe what you read on the internet, can't you?
wink.gif

Well TBN drops with miles, which is part of the add pack. Depending on factors such as engine condition, sump volume, and type of use that can vary in the rate of depletion.

Originally Posted By: dan765
I apologize for asking such an ambiguous question. I don't have any 'official' sources, just things I've read here and there. You can always believe what you read on the internet, can't you?
wink.gif

The oil companies that sell "recycled" motor oil always have something similar on their website. I forget the names of some of the other companies, but here's what Valvoline has on their NextGen webpage:

"Finished motor oil is generally made from 85% base oil and 15% additives. The "oil part" of motor oil doesn't really wear out. As oil goes through the drain cycle in the engine, it's the additives that wear out. At the same time, contaminants like fuel, metals and sludge build-up in the oil. But the vast majority of oil molecules do not breakdown and are fully usable. The recycled oil in NextGen goes through a multi-stage refining process to remove contaminants and additives to create fresh base oil."

I think this is what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back