Ever keep a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first 528e had 149.5 K miles when I bought it in '96. I retired it in '08 with 350 k almost.In that time it always ran. Maybe not well, but gutenuff I maintained it in my driveway. I've had a total of 5 runners in 18 yrs and a few parts cars behind the shop. If I want to stay with the car, I need a rust free example. I don't need any drive lines, just a good body with a fairly clean interior.

We had two Civic Wagons of this generation, both '86s.
Both passed 200K in our hands.
These were very reliable and durable cars and were also fun to drive, with great shifters. They were also pretty easy to drive without using the clutch after starting from rest.
Fuel economy was always good and the tall-boy wagon was very spacious.
I'd buy one of these new today were they still offered.
These Civics were among the best cars Honda ever built.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We had two Civic Wagons of this generation, both '86s.
Both passed 200K in our hands.
These were very reliable and durable cars and were also fun to drive, with great shifters. They were also pretty easy to drive without using the clutch after starting from rest.
Fuel economy was always good and the tall-boy wagon was very spacious.
I'd buy one of these new today were they still offered.
These Civics were among the best cars Honda ever built.

One thing that help make my 84 wagon a keeper is that not one switch, latch, heater control or any of the little bits and pieces has failed. The stalks on the steering column feel solid and click with authority. The window regulators are tight and solid. The speedo and tach work like new along with all the gauges. Under the hood not one of the vacuum lines has gotten brittle or cracked and none leak. The carb and transmission linkage are solid and positive in their action. There are so meany details on this care that are "right" and it all works.

It's the salt that gets them...otherwise, the engine/powertrain, are good for many hundreds of thousands of miles if properly maintained...and I know everyone on here is maintaining their vehicles properly...

My 4 Runner just turned 250,000 miles...and while it runs flawlessly, the body cancer has started in the front and rear fenders...just a matter of time now...will up its daily use...with the hope of getting it to 300,000 before the cancer takes over...

Last edited:
I love my present 528e. It was dinged front and rear with a carfax documented 117 K miles. That mileage for this model, is nothing. I spent 10 months of spare time cutting and riveting pieces and patches onto it. I base lined the engine with tune up parts, a new water pump and timing belt and stuff. I put it on the road in Dec '07 I've put about 50 k miles on it since. Fixing routine stuff as I go. I have 3 vehicles, so at least one will be running. But the body is rusted again in the perimeter patches I put on. All except for the bumper support I made out of a piece of corrugated floor decking, that I hammered flat before shaping the piece I needed. I was winging it, drawing on 11 yrs working in a ship yard. I hammered and fitted lots of 3/8 deck house bulkheads together to be welded. Even without a welder, I clamped and hammered stuff and riveted it with lots of deep reach rivets and nuts and bolts. I've kept it going for 7 yrs. I was aiming for 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back