Ever keep a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I no longer have confidence enough to take it on a trip, I trade. The longest I've kept one is 5 years. Yes, I have overspent by trading good cars sometimes. I think this GC will last me longer.

I think I'll keep the Xj12.

I'll probably keep the G8 for quite a while, not sure. I really like the car, but parts may get to be a problem. Time will tell.

The Solstice, probably. I would like an F Type, though.

Keeping old cars hanging around is a lot easier if you have a place to keep them stored, which I do for now, but that may change, and I would have to reevaluate my situation at that time.

I just drove my 84 Civic wagon from the San Diego area to Phoenix and back in one long day, 400 miles each way with temps around 105F inland. No problems, car ran great. Instead of my usual 37mpg I averaged 41mpg at a usual pace of 70-75mph. This is about 8K miles after the overhaul and the oil level moved about the width of the full mark on the dipstick. I do believe that running synthetic oil is not necessary where I live but is better. I did the first few thousand on PYB 5w-30 and I'm now running PP 5w-30. I'll have a sample for a UOA in a month or so. I still enjoy driving this car. Maybe it's because I'm easily amused.

If I was able to I'd still have every car or truck I've ever had but it just hasn't worked out that way. Being a mechanic also helps.

Now, my wifes parents subscribe to the "you're ALWAYS going to have a car payment so just budget for it, just like you'll ALWAYS have a house payment." They trade in their vehicles every 2 years for a new one. That just drives me nuts, but it's their money and they're free to do whatever they want with it.

My wife has somewhat adopted her parents philosophy but I've almost got her convinced otherwise. We haven't had a car payment since 2008 and we have 3 vehicles that I can fix myself. She's driving a 2003 Accord with only 85k on it. It's in great shape. To get my point across I started taking $400 a month out of our checking account and putting it in another account. After a several months she really started to notice that money not being in the account. Driving her car for a good while longer didn't seem like such a pain after that.

Back in my younger days, whenever I bought a car, I was going to "keep it forever." That would usually last two or three years until I got the itch, traded and started over again.

Then came the ever faithful "Bluesmobile." 1993 Ford Taurus GL. I bought it ten years ago for a 1000 dollars. Since that time, it has been the "first car" for all three of my children, coming back to me when they upgraded to a better vehicle.

Along the way, it's lost a few body parts and had several "modifications." The interior looks something like the vehicle "Mad Max" drives in "The Road Warrior." It's not fast. It doesn't handle all that well. The air conditioner died about four years ago. The body has a custom paint job, (I painted it flat black one afternoon with a four inch brush).

But for reasons I cannot explain, I love that car.

I'm keeping it on the road for my grand daughter so it can be her first car. She is 3 years old.

For my daily driver I have not had a car payment for a long time. I paid cash for the 84 Civic and the only payments I've had are for my wife's cars.

Last edited:
I bought my last vehicle ('93 Toyota Xcab DLX V6 4x4) new for ~$20k and just sold it last year with 206K...got $4700 for it. It was starting to nickel & dime me over the past few years but still ran very well. I would get teased at work by one guy (not very bright and at 36, still has a silver spoon in his mouth) for driving "that old jalopy". I paid that truck off in '95 and showed him the amount I haven't paid since then by not getting a new vehicle every 3-5 years. Never brought it up again. It got me from every A to B and back, never left me stranded and I liked the looks of it, too.

As a DD and I had sold my "toy" car, I thought it time to let it go and get something newer and hopefully, in the long run, be as reliable as the '93.

I was sorry to see it go, but in thinking ahead to the next ten years, I didn't want to be stranded out in BFE when something major finally broke or have to deal with an engine rebuild.

I think its cool that you're the only owner of a 30 year old car!
thumbsup2.gif

Kept my 1994 Dodge Dakota 5.2L V8 short bed sport w/ limited slip for 16 yrs. Last 4 of which it endured our son learning to drive and then as his vehicle (teenage boy with V8 compact truck w/ 3:55 diff ratio & posi-trac.... um.... yeah...). Sold it to one of his friends in 2010 and I still see it around the city once in a while.

Planning on keeping my Forester a long time. Unless I get bored. Same w/ the MTS but I've already got the I-wants for a Panigale......

The Longest I've Kept a car is 8.5 years on my 2000 Hyundai Sonata. in that time i took it from 16k mi to 105k mi.
Replaced that in Feb 2010 with the Neon(2005 SXT, My Brother was the Original owner, he drove it from 44mi to 54k mi, I took it from 54k-84k mi) ,which i replaced this past Jan with my Sable.

My Parents Bought Mom's 99 Taurus new in fall 98. it was her DD until sold in Feb '12, with 124k mi.(During which time dad went through 4 cars, he seems to get the "bug" every 3-5 yrs, or when the car nears 100k mi)

My Uncle Bought his 95 Bonneville SSEI new, put 300k mi on it before he cash-for clunker'd it (summer 2009)

My Brother has a 98 Mustang GT he bought new, as of last fall it had 14,500 mi on it. (lots of garage sitting...5 speed in Dallas rush hour = no bueno) now he has started building it up for a "fun"/track day car.

My Aunt has a Mid 90's Grand Prix they bought used around 97.
has around 200k mi. still runs like a champ. her hubby (My dad's Twin) has had...at least 3 different cars in that time.

I am still driving my 1993 Nissan I bought new and use it as my daily driver. I enjoy it very much and is reliable as death and taxes.

My stepfather put 200,000+ miles on 2 different Concordes...just traded his 2003 with 220K on a new AWD 300. I expect it, too, will wind up 200K.

I bought my 1995 saturn wagon in 2003 for $800 and thought I'd have it one winter.

I still have it, and the AC still works. The rest is getting shabby but I'm going for broke now!
lol.gif

The rear door sills have huge rust holes and I have to "help" the driver's window stay on track. It has three steel wheels, one aluminum, and four different brands of used tires all around. 1st and 2nd don't have synchros anymore. I cut holes in the lower front bumper for foglights then removed the foglights when they were busted and hanging, so now I just have these dumb sawzalled holes. The outer door handles lost most of their spring so I have to push them back down to get the door to latch. I rewired it so I could start it in neutral without the clutch and it has the ability to remove the keys while running, great in the winter when I want to go back in my office. Rebuilt the engine in 2007 to cut oil consumption but I used RTV from Big Lots
33.gif
and it's starting to leak. The radio changes to preset 3 when I hit a bump or take off quickly, so I made my favorite station #3.

It still passes inspection every year, the floorboards look great, and it's never had a brake or fuel line replaced.

we keep cars pretty long:

retired/sold (were still in ok running condition when retired):
wife's 89 Accord LXi 189k miles.
my 97 tbird: 167k miles. (had to get rid of as we didn't need a 4th car)

current:
Wife's 2003 Elantra now at 213k miles, still a solid DD. Have set a goal of 300k for now...
smile.gif

Hope to keep these for a long time too:
BMW 330Ci only 44k miles now
2014 Mazda 6 about 25k miles now

Last edited:
Ive never considered getting rid of my 98 S-10 I bought new. The only cars I get rid of are ones that are rusty or ruined. Our insurance rates for max coverage are low enough that we are better off getting full utility out of the vehicle, then letting someone else make profit on a well maintained, well-kept vehicle.

Ill get rid of my 91 318i unfortunately at some point, because it has multiple rust points and we will ant a minivan or station wagon. I will continue to drive my wife's car (VW) as well as my others, because they still have great longevity on them and are well kept, clean, dent free, etc.

My parents have cars that are closing in on 20 years old and >>150k that all look like new inside and out. Yes, it is possible, even in densely populated areas.

My wife bought her first car in 1967; a new Volvo 122S. That was a tough one to use with kid's carseats. Second car was a new 1983 Volvo 245 GL wagon. How we kept that one running until 2006 is somewhat fuzzy to me now. Third, and current DD for her is a 2006 Civic. If it can avoid a major crash, it may also be the last car she owns.

I plan on keeping my vehicles basically forever. I've already had them for at least 6 years now, except the Bronco. I never get "bored" of my cars and I'm content driving the same thing for many years.

I purchased new my 2002 Silverado and it is still in great shape and has 148k on it. Sure the new trucks are nice, even quiet inside while driving down the highway, which mine is not. But I can't see getting a new one. I also have a 91 Jetta TD that I purchased back in 2006. It currently has 251k miles on it and other than using a qt of oil every 500 miles, it still gets 50mpg and is just a local around town driver. Hoping it will make it to 300k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back