Prestone ENGINE flush...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here used Prestone Engine flush? if so, how well did it clean? How does it compare to the Flush products from Gunk, Amsoil etc? I plan on using it in an engine that is Varnished, No sludge. Not too concerned about seals at this time as they are fairly new.

Usually best method is to change oil more often and change main brand .till you have use 3 .like first 1000 mille you use mobil .second thousand mille you use penzoil and last thousand mille you use castrol.this should clean your engine .

Lubegard engine flush is very good and so is Amsoil engine flush, both contain no hash solvent.

I avoid both Prestone and Gunk engine flush, both contain mostly kerosene.

Varnish is seen all the time in engines. It really does not do any great harm itself. Now sludge can cause big problems/issues. Many folks do not worry about light coat of varnish

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Usually best method is to change oil more often and change main brand .till you have use 3 .like first 1000 mille you use mobil .second thousand mille you use penzoil and last thousand mille you use castrol.this should clean your engine .

Here we go, yvon strikes again... Would you care to provide us with some evidence that switching brands every 1k is "the best method" for cleaning your engine?

OP, sorry I do not have much to contribute. But I do not want you receiving false information. I do feel that a couple of short ocis would help though (short=~3,000 miles. Not 1k). Not pushing a brand, but an oil like Valvoline Maxlife (lots of detergents) should work well.

If you feel the need to use a additive to clean your engine, I'd go with either the amsoil flush or lubromoly 500ml product.

Kreen has quite a following on the board as well. I've never used it, but those that have seem to like the results. I've been known to add a little MMO toward the end of an oci before. At 10-15% it's not going to destroy your engine. I just don't drive too hard and run it for a few hundred miles before the chage. Usually a tank of gas worth of miles is what I run.

Of course it is your obligation as a bitog'er to pull the valve cover(s) for before and after pics to post if your doing a serious flush.

Originally Posted By: wraith
Has anyone here used Prestone Engine flush? if so, how well did it clean? How does it compare to the Flush products from Gunk, Amsoil etc? I plan on using it in an engine that is Varnished, No sludge. Not too concerned about seals at this time as they are fairly new.

This is an extremely minor issue. Varnish may represent nothing except vapor deposited as the engine cools. It rarely causes anything except a discoloration.

I vote Maxlife, as it is a fantastic oil and a great cleaner.

If the problem was serious sludging then Kreen is a "right here right now" solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back