Oil Change Interval Question Synthetic 20w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

The owner's manual for this bike (KTM 625 SMC) recommends a 10 hour oil change interval.

It also recommends Motul Synthetic 10w-50, I just switched to 20w-50 synthetic motorcycle oil (OK for wet clutch). It's really hot right now, and the 20w-50 is half the price at $9.95 per quart.

It's a liquid-cooled motor, 2-liter oil system, two filters (0ne fine-screen spin-on and one paper cartridge), front down-tube in the frame also acts as an oil cooler.

I can see the 10 hour interval if the bike is being used for its intended purpose (racing / supermoto) but for milder use (street, fire roads, trails, limited dirt riding) it seems like the interval could be extended a bit.

What do you think?

Are you sure the 10hr isn't for break in only ? @KTM forums they are saying 3,000 mi recommended, but I don't have the owners manual....would be real hard to put 3,000 miles on in 10 hrs. haha

If you want real answers get a few used oil analysis done after break in to know for sure.
And 20w-50 should be fine in place of 10w-50. Should be more shear stable too.

Use any name brand 20w-50 motorcycle oil. Mobil 1 is widely available. Motul is good stuff, but pricy. There are many choices. I like Red Line.

10 hours would be a good time to change out the factory fill. After that, 3,000 - 5,000 miles (or perhaps 100-150 hours) depending on your riding habits and the warranty requirements.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Use any name brand 20w-50 motorcycle oil. Mobil 1 is widely available. Motul is good stuff, but pricy. There are many choices. I like Red Line.

10 hours would be a good time to change out the factory fill. After that, 3,000 - 5,000 miles (or perhaps 100-150 hours) depending on your riding habits and the warranty requirements.

I agree that redline lubricants are awesome. Motul is great in the 300v series.

You can use any oil that has a SG or SJ API rating and do fine. That's about the only spec I've seen on oil recommendations from the makers. And being you won't find a API symbol on a bottle of motorcycle specific oil, Why pay more for it?.,,,

I wouldn't go anywhere close to 3000-5000 miles. It takes like 25 bucks to do an oil change, unless your putting on mega miles every day go 1500-2000 miles. I would expect a fair amount of shear.

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
I wouldn't go anywhere close to 3000-5000 miles. It takes like 25 bucks to do an oil change, unless your putting on mega miles every day go 1500-2000 miles. I would expect a fair amount of shear.

Exactly. Changing oil often is WAY more important than what brand you choose. I agree with above stated interval. Run a conventional 20w50 (cheap) and change every 1000 miles as well.

Last edited:
Thank you to all who have posted here. I think I will do a couple of used oil analysis once I have 1,000 miles on this current oil change that I just did. It's a great bike and I want to maintain it, but I also don't want to throw money away on needless expense.

Spin-on filter: $27.47 (KTM calls this a "fine-screen" filter)
Paper filet cartridge : $11.99 (yes this thing has two oil filters)
Synthetic Oil: $9.69 per quart x2 (The Motul is about twice that)

So oil and filter is $58.84 plus tax. Every thousand miles I can handle. Twice in a three-day weekend, not so much.

I took a closer look at the manual. You're right. It doesn't specifically say this because it's translated into English, but the 10 hour interval is at 1,000 km or the first ten hours, the intervals after that are 5,000 km or once a year.

Thank you. That makes more sense and you just saved me a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back