Mobil 1 5W/20 EP, 9980 Miles, 2005 Civic 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
You mention not wanting to try any other oil,BUT,something is causing too much wear in your Honda,which usually show no wear metals at all. If you`re wanting to stay loyal to the M1 brand,try their 10w30 (regular,not the EP version). But if it were my car,I`d go with PYB 10w30,do a uoa,and compare results.

How do you know there is "too much wear"? That may just be the signature for this engine. Without a tear-down you are guessing. And I am guessing that the OP isn't going to do a tear-down. 18ppm of Iron in almost 10,000 miles is far from alarming by any metric anyways.

Excellent UOA, fantastic TBN retention, nothing that sticks out, keep doing what you are doing
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Without a tear-down you are guessing.

You're always saying that. Isn't the purpose of a UOA to PREVENT a tear-down? A tear-down is what you do when the engine is bellowing out so much blue smoke, people are running into each other on the freeway because they cannot SEE. And then you think to yourself, "Gee, maybe I should've listened to Merk and ran a little bit thicker oil so that the engine wouldn't wear out so fast and kill all these people today."

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You're always saying that.

Because it is true.

Isn't the purpose of a UOA to PREVENT a tear-down?

The purpose of a UOA, as spelled out on the main page of this site, is to give you insight into your equipment and lubricant health. They will show you fuel contamination, coolant contamination, TBN retention, whether you have a potential air intake tract leak....etc. That's the purpose of a UOA. Used properly, so that somebody doesn't run a lubricant past its ability, yes, it could possibly be used to prevent having to tear an engine down. But often they will give you a sign that something is wrong so that the engine can be salvaged. IE, a GM engine with an intake gasket leak. You still have to tear into the engine, but the UOA gives you enough notice that hopefully no serious damage happens.

Quote:
A tear-down is what you do when the engine is bellowing out so much blue smoke, people are running into each other on the freeway because they cannot SEE.

No, that's called a neglected or abused engine in need of a rebuild. And that kind of person would most certainly not be doing a UOA, let alone a tear-down. They'll take it to the wreckers and buy another car.

And then you think to yourself, "Gee, maybe I should've listened to Merk and ran a little bit thicker oil so that the engine wouldn't wear out so fast and kill all these people today."

And maybe people should have kept on believing the world was flat, that hordes of supermen lived in the clouds tossing lightning bolts down from the heavens, that the moon was made of cheese, killing a spider makes it rain and all that other "wisdom" that has been passed down through the generations eh?

What was the original spec'd oil for this car back in '05?

5W-20. Even my girlfriend's '01 Civic has 5W-20 on the oil cap. It's a weird sensation checking the dipstick in that car. The 5W-20 is so thin it drips off of the dipstick and it's somewhat hard to get an accurate reading.
smile.gif
I'm always wiping off drips on the valve cover from when I take it out of the hole.

You're always saying that. Isn't the purpose of a UOA to PREVENT a tear-down? A tear-down is what you do when the engine is bellowing out so much blue smoke, people are running into each other on the freeway because they cannot SEE. And then you think to yourself, "Gee, maybe I should've listened to Merk and ran a little bit thicker oil so that the engine wouldn't wear out so fast and kill all these people today."

Are you familiar with the adage: Better to be thought a fool than to....

As has already been stated 5W/20. Additionally it is back speced to 0W/20.

Am I given to understand that you are recommending a change in viscosity without knowing what the recommended oil for the application is?

Once again, there will not be a change of brand or viscosity. So if that is what you've got then move along and save yourself the typing.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Am I given to understand that you are recommending a change in viscosity without knowing what the recommended oil for the application is?

Once again, there will not be a change of brand or viscosity. So if that is what you've got then move along and save yourself the typing.

How old are you,like 10? If you don`t want feedback about your gay little uoa,quit posting on a DISCUSSION FORUM,and most of all quit being a crybaby.

Sooooooo,seeing I was so off-topic,what exactly WAS your topic and your motive for posting here homey?

How old are you,like 10? If you don`t want feedback about your gay little uoa,quit posting on a DISCUSSION FORUM,and most of all quit being a crybaby.

Sooooooo,seeing I was so off-topic,what exactly WAS your topic and your motive for posting here homey?

So is that a "Yes I'm making recommendations without full knowledge"? Thought so.

Last edited:

How about you go to a different forum and tell everyone about how cool your fartcan and K&N stickers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back