any synthetic sae 30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok ,I was wondering if there were synthetic sae 30 oil that had been tested to 150 degree (as per required of the standard)and had aslo been acea 9 and cj-4 and sn (basicly comparable to mobil delvac1 le 5w30 but sae 30 instead )

My understanding is - there aren't any synthetic SAE30s because, by nature, the viscosity curve of a synthetic SAE30 would meet 10w-30 and is sold as such.

Amsoil makes an SAE 30 synthetic but its also labeled as a 10w30. You won't find just an SAE 30 since the base oil required for an SAE 30 using synthetic has such good cold flow properties it qualifies for the 10w rating without any viscosity index improvers.

You should be looking at 10w30 synthetics if you want an SAE 30 synthetic. Mobil 1 10w30 high mileage is one of the best.

901 Memphis got it right; the Amsoil ACD SAE30 is about the only one I know of. It has a 10W-30 rating by default also. What kind of diesel engine is this going into? This oil is a high SAPS oil and is fine for non-DPF diesels and also gasoline engines.

I would run a multi-weight oil over a straight weight anytime. I don't see a reason for a straight weight oil in this day. Ages ago my 1980 Turbo Trans AM was spec'd for SAE30 >30F and 10W30 below 30F ONLY, no other oils were recommended. This was SE oil days.

And it spec'd 3000 mile oil changes in NORMAL service and 1500 mile in severe service.... Yeah, GM was worried about the turbo living long! And they only gave it a PF47 filter!

Last edited:
Why i focus on monograde since any synthetic monograde will likely pass 0w30?because sae30 also has a higher temperature test that isnt required of multigrade,since big rig run at 230 daily the 212 f test is irelevent for big truck.only 2 oil have this upper temp test:sae 20 and sae 30

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Why i focus on monograde since any synthetic monograde will likely pass 0w30?because sae30 also has a higher temperature test that isnt required of multigrade,since big rig run at 230 daily the 212 f test is irelevent for big truck.only 2 oil have this upper temp test:sae 20 and sae 30

No you can't just pass 0w30 or 5w30 synthetic without some polymer viscosity index improvers. You can attain 10w30 rating with a synthetic base oil and no VII though.

Thus most 10w30 synthetics are basically mono grade, since some might say the definition of a mono grade would be no VIIs used. Any synthetic 10w30 will be superior to an SAE 30 mineral oil in any test.

http://www.aftonchemical.com/Solutions/L...xImprovers.aspx

Theres also a video on that link

Originally Posted By: yvon_la

We've been through this before. Where is the evidence of this assertion? All oils that I know of undergo the HTHS test, which is done at elevated temperatures, 302 F, in fact.

Originally Posted By: EyesofThunder
I would run a multi-weight oil over a straight weight anytime. I don't see a reason for a straight weight oil in this day. Ages ago my 1980 Turbo Trans AM was spec'd for SAE30 >30F and 10W30 below 30F ONLY, no other oils were recommended. This was SE oil days.

And it spec'd 3000 mile oil changes in NORMAL service and 1500 mile in severe service.... Yeah, GM was worried about the turbo living long! And they only gave it a PF47 filter!

GM specified a monograde because the multi-grades of the day used viscosity index improvers that very quickly broke down and created sludge which would kill the turbo very quickly because it got starved for oil.

If that car were built today any oil that meets the Honda turbo spec is more than adequate for that engine and turbo,and a diesel 10w-30 would be fine too.
Heck any diesel rated/dual rated hdeo would be great in that application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back