Moly-additive and magnetic drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

This may seem like a stupid question (and it might just be) but I haven't gotten an answer anywhere else, so I'll try here.

Since molybdenum disulphide (moly-additive in motor oil) is magnetic (...isn't it?) wouldn't a magnetic oil pan drain plug attract all of the moly to it, and render the additive useless?

Thanks!

-James

MoS2 is paramagnetic, not magnetic. Which means that it is attracted to magnetic fields due to unpaired electrons (I think that's how it works?), but that when the magnetic field is removed, it loses its magnetic properties. The magnetic attraction is quite weak, and probably not a big concern. An oil with MoS2 is not going to have much MoS2 extracted by a magnet, even a strong one.

Edit: From the Journal of Applied and Industrial Sciences, http://researchpub.org/journal/jais/number/vol1-no1/vol1-no1-4.pdf Quote: "The effect of magnetic field on performance of MoS2 was insignificant"

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
MoS2 is paramagnetic, not magnetic. Which means that it is attracted to magnetic fields due to unpaired electrons (I think that's how it works?), but that when the magnetic field is removed, it loses its magnetic properties. The magnetic attraction is quite weak, and probably not a big concern. An oil with MoS2 is not going to have much MoS2 extracted by a magnet, even a strong one.

Edit: From the Journal of Applied and Industrial Sciences, http://researchpub.org/journal/jais/number/vol1-no1/vol1-no1-4.pdf Quote: "The effect of magnetic field on performance of MoS2 was insignificant"

Nice!!
cheers3.gif

Molybdenum DiSulphide is NOT the additive in ILSAC approved motor oils.

Moot Point.
in
Yes it's "diThio" but it is in the toxic pesticide carbamate soluble form - not a colloid suspension of (solids/dust)nanoparticles (e.g. -LubriMoly )

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Skid
Also, MOS2 is not the normal form of moly in engine oil.

Then what it is? Everyone is saying what it's NOT and leaving out what it IS. Do tell! There are many different ways to bond moly, which one is used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back