Subaru Impreza Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have asked this question in another forum and was directed here. I have asked a couple of Subaru dealers and a local garage (specializing in Subarus) about oil filters and they all have said the same thing that Subaru brand filters must be used on the Impreza RS (2.5) becuase the Subaru OEMs have a check value that after markets oil filters lack. Is this true? or are they trying to sell more oil filters. Also, dealer(s) say that the oil drain plug washer must be replced at every oil change. Is that true? I have never heard of such a thing from other car manufacturers.

Currently I use only Subaru brand oil filters and Castrol Syntec 5w30. Is this a good idea? I have heard that some synthetic oils may not be good becuase the PFTE particles may clog oil pumps and oil drain galleries in the engine block and cylinder heads. Is this true?

Can I use a Purolator oil filter instead? Should I keep using Castrol Syntech 5w30?

Thats a lot of questions. I will take on easy one. It is a good idea to change the oil draing plug washer to ensure that the plug does not leak. Having said that, I have 150k on a car that I have had since almost new and I still have the original drain plug washer and it does not leak.

There are not PTFE (teflon) particles in synthetic engine oil. There is teflon in Slick 50 (the definition of snake oil) and Frams double gaurd oil filter.

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeC:
I have asked this question in another forum and was directed here. I have asked a couple of Subaru dealers and a local garage (specializing in Subarus) about oil filters and they all have said the same thing that Subaru brand filters must be used on the Impreza RS (2.5) becuase the Subaru OEMs have a check value that after markets oil filters lack. Is this true? or are they trying to sell more oil filters. Also, dealer(s) say that the oil drain plug washer must be replced at every oil change. Is that true? I have never heard of such a thing from other car manufacturers.

Currently I use only Subaru brand oil filters and Castrol Syntec 5w30. Is this a good idea? I have heard that some synthetic oils may not be good becuase the PFTE particles may clog oil pumps and oil drain galleries in the engine block and cylinder heads. Is this true?

Can I use a Purolator oil filter instead? Should I keep using Castrol Syntech 5w30?

A) There are very few aftermarket oil filters that don't have a "check valve" - aka "anti-drainback valve" (ADBV). The materials may be different, but your dealer is blowing smoke on this one.

B) Yes - replace the washer each time. It may not leak if used more than once, but why take the chance? Subaru factory washers are formed metal, although there's no reason why you couldn't use copper, aluminum, or fiber washers.

C) There's probably nothing wrong with Syntec 5W-30, but I'd personally use Mobil 1 in that weight. Depending on oil change interval, I might just use a "conventional" oil anyways for that engine.

The only other thing I can think of is that the Subaru OEM filter might contain a slightly different gasket shape. The Japanese carmakers prefer a rounded gasket - either a p-type or rounded shape. Many aftermarket filter gaskets will have a square shape. If you're really anal, the filter designed for the turbo models should work fine, although it's smaller. It's a high quality filter made in Japan. The Purolator Premium Plus should be fine in your car.

quote:

I have heard that some synthetic oils may not be good becuase the PFTE particles may clog oil pumps and oil drain galleries in the engine block and cylinder heads. Is this true?

No.

No synthetic oil I'm familiar with contains PTFE, although many OTC additives do...those are what you want to avoid like the plague, along with FRAM Double Guard filters.

As far as which filters to use, there is nothing wrong with OEM filters...there's no way a dealer can give you ANY warranty grief if you're using THEIR parts. Having said that, there's also nothing wrong with Purolator...in fact, many OEM filters (like Motorcraft) are actually made by Purolator (no, I don't know who makes Subaru filters).

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:

quote:

I have heard that some synthetic oils may not be good becuase the PFTE particles may clog oil pumps and oil drain galleries in the engine block and cylinder heads. Is this true?

No.

No synthetic oil I'm familiar with contains PTFE, although many OTC additives do...those are what you want to avoid like the plague, along with FRAM Double Guard filters.

As far as which filters to use, there is nothing wrong with OEM filters...there's no way a dealer can give you ANY warranty grief if you're using THEIR parts. Having said that, there's also nothing wrong with Purolator...in fact, many OEM filters (like Motorcraft) are actually made by Purolator (no, I don't know who makes Subaru filters).

These are the ones sold by US Subaru dealers:

15208AA060 filter - made by Purolator. Recommended for most non-turbo models.

http://www.brandsport.com/sub-15208aa060.html

15208AA031/S0A5165109 filter - I don't know who makes this one (possibly Purolator). It's meant for the H6 engines, and is reported to have a larger amount of filtering media.

15208AA080/15208AA100 filter - made by Tokyo Roki. Recommended for all turbo models. It's really small, which is supposed to help with clearance around several exhaust heat shields. They claim that the larger filters may get too close to the heat shields. I'm not sure if larger filters will cause higher oil temps or possible failure?

There's even a pink STi version of the turbo filter available at a really steep price.

this one was puked out of WIX for the RS ..it didn't even ask for a year or engine.
Part Number: 51365
UPC Number: 765809513655
Principal Application: Ford (92-97), Honda (00-05), Infiniti/Nissan (95-05), Mazda (97-05), Mercury (91-96), Subaru (88-05), Kia (94-05), Yanmar, John Deere, Kawasaki, Kobelco
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.577
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

this is what you get from Wix putting in the 15208AA060 filter number.

Part Number: 51334
UPC Number: 765809513341
Principal Application: Acura (88-05), Chevrolet Spectrum (85-88), Dodge (91-96), Geo (89-93), Ford (88-96), Honda (72-05), Hyundai (89-05), Isuzu (85-04), Kia (01-05), Mercury (87-91), Mitsubishi (89-98), Subaru (87-05), John Deere, Kioti, Kobelco, Komatsu, Kubota, Onan, Toro & Yanmar Diesel
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Both have ADBV

Note the WIX By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11

Subaru filters and the Subaru specific filters made by Purolator have a by-pass setting of 20-25 psi.

Ed

I buy my filters and gaskets online at www.subaruparts.com (there are many others). When I can get a high quality filter at this price specially made for my car, why use anything else?

The high quality Purolator Pure One costs much more than the Subaru OE filter, and no one knows whether it is indeed better.

I have a 2001 2.5RS and use regular Purolator 14460's. Because our oil filters hang straight down there is no need for an anti-drain back valve. The Purolators don't have them. My car has 58,000 miles on it and have never changed the crush washer. I use Mobil 1 EL 10W30.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back