stereo won't come on in the Dodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 95 ram has done this for awhile. Used to you could smack the driver door and it would work now. When you slam the door the head unit lights up for a split second and then goes off. I am assuming based on this the problem lies within the door. Question any idea on which wires to really look at? I thought If a speaker wasn't getting good connection the stereo would work just not that speaker. The head unit is aftermarket but that shouldn't make a difference I don't think. Thanks guys

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My 95 ram has done this for awhile. Used to you could smack the driver door and it would work now. When you slam the door the head unit lights up for a split second and then goes off. I am assuming based on this the problem lies within the door. Question any idea on which wires to really look at? I thought If a speaker wasn't getting good connection the stereo would work just not that speaker. The head unit is aftermarket but that shouldn't make a difference I don't think. Thanks guys

How are the grounds on the radio?

I had a similar issue on my cherokee where the radio would die if I used the power windows, and if I opened the door all the way it would stop working completely.

Turns out (1) I forgot to hook up the ground wire to the radio when installing it and (2) I have a broken ground wire in the door. So when I was using the windows, the radio would ground through them.

You need to start with the most simple solutions first. Remove the driver's door panel and check all the wiring there for the speaker and also the power door locks and windows if you have them. Check the wires all the way from the door panel up to where they enter the cab at the door jamb. Check the molex connectors on the door jamb too. Check the speaker itself to be sure it is not shorted or damaged. Make sure its wiring and terminals are not touching metal in the door cavity, this will cause an aftermarket deck to mute its outputs to avoid damage.

Then pull the radio and check for voltage on the power wires at the radio, then smack the door and check the power to see if you can mimic the problem. Use a digital volt meter set for continuity and test each speaker wire for continuity to ground. If the radio wiring in the dash checks out OK then move on to the fuse panel, check for bent, blown or corroded fuses and bad connections behind the fuse panel. You could also have an internal problem in the radio. You can do a primitive bench test by removing the radio, connect power and ground straight to the battery and use a known working speaker on each of the speaker outputs, if it works that way try tapping the case of the radio with an open hand or screwdriver handle to see if it shuts off again.

Mid-90's Dodges and Chryslers sometimes had problems with the wiring running from the door jamb into the door cavity. Check that door wiring very carefully. You might even try disconnecting the factory wires and running your own new wire to the left front speaker and see if the problem persists after that. If your radio is grounded to the factory braided ground strap behind the radio, disconnect it and run a new ground, use about a 14 to 16 gauge wire and ground it to clean bare metal under a factory-installed existing bolt or nut in one of the kick panels. The braided ground straps were horrible and would become contaminated over time.

I wouldn't assume the problem was in the door unless the wiring harness for the stereo runs through the door. Sounds like, as others have noted, you have a ground issue. Smacking the door is giving you a ground, thus, powering up the head unit.

Pull the head unit, grab a wiring schematic for it, and start probing wires with a multimeter looking for the correct values. the ground lead may just lead to a point on the dash frame and has a shifty connection for example.

Basic stuff first. Check the wiring.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I wouldn't assume the problem was in the door unless the wiring harness for the stereo runs through the door. Sounds like, as others have noted, you have a ground issue. Smacking the door is giving you a ground, thus, powering up the head unit.

Pull the head unit, grab a wiring schematic for it, and start probing wires with a multimeter looking for the correct values. the ground lead may just lead to a point on the dash frame and has a shifty connection for example.

Basic stuff first. Check the wiring.

Yup. I had a bad (missing) ground causing it to ground through the door wiiring.

The head unit is aftermarket but that shouldn't make a difference I don't think.

In a way, that makes it a touch easier. It's pretty much universal that you only need three wires for the radio to power up.

Black: ground -
Red: switched battery +
Yellow or Orange: unswitched battery +

If it's losing the ground as expected, you don't even have to find and repair the problem. You can just run a wire from the black at the radio to any new ground point of your choosing.

Aftermarket may well matter here, because I've seen a lot of hack jobs where someone poorly installed a head unit, and then the connection splices were horrible. There could be an intermittent connection,and it doesn't have to be the ground. One way or another, I'd pull the uh and see if you could find the cause.

It's a bad ground some where i just made a different ground and all is good. Thanks for all the help

Great to hear
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back