Exhaust leak at cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if you read my other long post, I got my '04 Crown Vic running, but I have an exhaust leak.
I went under it today and found it. Its where the cat connects to the manifold. The manifold has like a ball and the converter side has a flare that is pulled over it. I can see carbon where it is leaking out. It appears the problem is I didnt get the exhaust back the exact same way and now Im trying to seal against an area that has rust pitting on the manifold.
Is there some sort of gasket or material I can put in between to seal it?
Thanks.

I had this type of problem on a Ford Granada back in the day. I took off the catalytic converter to access the manifold flange and sanded the rounded surface until I had a smooth sealing surface. Worked like a charm.

You might have a sintered iron "donut" in there or similar packing. Check that. Are the bolts that hold it together spring loaded?

As others have posted clean it and make sure no donut is missing. IIRC this just uses a donut shaped flange and flare.
Coat the donut with a ceramic based compound, just smear a coating around and assemble. It wont leak again and will come apart when you need it to.

I use it often and have no leaks after years. Good stuff in the correct application like this, the problem is some guys use it to fill holes in pipes and it doesn't work.
This is one brand, i use one called Pyro something or another. Napa, AA, AZ will have something similar.
I use it on every joint not only to prevent leaks to to make them easier to get apart later even in the salt belt, just hit it with a hammer before trying to remove the pipe in a pipe joint to break the seal.

http://www.autobarn.net/exhaust-system-s...CFXMA7Aod0lQAlQ

There is no donut in there. It's the same type of connection as my Mustang and I've had it off and back on plenty of times. There's a process to getting it seated so that it won't leak.

Loosen up both sides a little so they have some wiggle room. Use a pry bar to wiggle the pipe a little while you tighten the nuts up until it's just starting to really seat. Then go to the other side and do the same thing, but tighten the bolts all the way. Then go back to the other side, wiggle a lttle as you tighten up the nuts all the way.

This should get it all tightened up with no leaks.

One word... FlowEx. Made by Tabers.

Look it online, call the company- they're in Missouri. Good people, good product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back