Oil expiration date: PYB at AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I picked up a quart of PYB 5w-30 at AAP for use as top-up oil. Went there intending to get Peak, which it seems AAP no longer carries. Then was gonna get the house brand, for $3.99, when I noticed PYB on sale for the same price. (also $3.99, down from the regular $5.79)

Warm fuzzy thoughts filled my head as I thought of the deal I got. Then I looked over the bottle, and noticed an expiration date of May 9, 2014. I figure I'm not gonna sweat 12 days over one quart of name-brand top-off oil for gentle driving....but I had never paid much attention to expiration dates on oil bottles.

What can happen if the oil is too old to be sold, but you buy and use it anyway? Livin' on the edge here.

dates on oil bottles are normally the date of bottling.
not expiration.

similar to Budwieser's Born on Date.
that's actually REALLY fresh oil.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
dates on oil bottles are normally the date of bottling.
not expiration.

similar to Budwieser's Born on Date.
that's actually REALLY fresh oil.

Oh. Thanks. That's good news---and embarrassing that I did not know. I found this site via a search for tire info. Tires I know pretty well for a layman, and just enough shade-tree stuff to be dangerous. Looks like I better go off to remedial oil school....thanks again.

Last edited:
Locally the Pep Boys was selling 5 year old PU a few months ago.

A May 2014 date is a good thing.

However, if it bothers you, you can send the PYB to me for disposal along with any untrustworthy Purolator oil filters you might have laying around.

As others have said, the date on the bottle is usually the manufacture date. AFAIK oil does not have an exact expiration date. Usually 5 years or so.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
kmart has been known to sell decade old oil...errr well they had it on the shelf but nobody was going to pay there prices.

They still have decade oil near me.

When I bought the Cherokee in 2010, I used up my Father's stash of early 90s Mobil1 5w-30 since nothing they had used 5w-30 at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back