ADBV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it make any difference if your filter has a silicon ADBV if your OCI is short say 4,000 miles? I would think just about any ADBV should be able to last that long?

Short answer: No

My answer: I prefer silicon because it allows me to sleep better at night.. and I like the overkill because my Jeep is picky with filters. The last Mopar filter which I used for 5000 still had a very pliable ADBV so you should be fine.

*** and IIRC, the Fram rep here says the ADBV on the Fram EG is good for 5000(?) as well.

Last edited:
Nitrile doesn't harden that quickly that it would really matter. Sure silicone would stay pliable longer but I doubt that's really a concern on the less than a year life of a filter.

Another benefit, though, would be the cold weather performance of silicone which is noticeably better.

Ive had SI adbv fail out of the box and Nitrile work well through winter - ESP ACDelco filter on Toyota small engines. (nonecore). If you look below you will see I prefer a base end bypass and the SI adbv on wix - though my last OCI has exhibited flakey operation (on the ADBV or assembly - only teardown will tell) . First time flakey on a wix!

Ive NEVER had any issues with a >GENUINE< ACDELCO non-ecore filter whatsoever in 45+ years of wrenching and driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Nitrile doesn't harden that quickly that it would really matter.

you can say that again. I recently cut open a Wix made filter with a nitrile ADBV that was made in 1997...(17 yrs ago)
still as flexible and pliable as anything else i've cut open.(fold it up into a taco, no problemo)
only difference being this one had some white crusty stuff on it that just flaked off when handled.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Nitrile doesn't harden that quickly that it would really matter.

you can say that again. I recently cut open a Wix made filter with a nitrile ADBV that was made in 1997...(17 yrs ago)
still as flexible and pliable as anything else i've cut open.(fold it up into a taco, no problemo)
only difference being this one had some white crusty stuff on it that just flaked off when handled.

It's not age from the filter sitting on the shelf that hardens the nitrile rubber ... it's the heat cycles the filter goes through during use on the engine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's not age from the filter sitting on the shelf that hardens the nitrile rubber ... it's the heat cycles the filter goes through during use on the engine.
This.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Will it make any difference if your filter has a silicon ADBV
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I prefer silicon because it allows me to sleep better at night..
I wouldn't sleep very well at all with anything made of silicon in my engine...now if it were silicone, that would be OK.

Yes, I am a Lieutenant in the Spelling Police.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
This.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Will it make any difference if your filter has a silicon ADBV
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I prefer silicon because it allows me to sleep better at night..
I wouldn't sleep very well at all with anything made of silicon in my engine...now if it were silicone, that would be OK.

Yes, I am a Lieutenant in the Spelling Police.
grin2.gif

Ooooooops.
crazy.gif

^^^ Just leave the air filter out if you want silicon in the engine.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back