2001 chev Denali awd with a 6.0 and 120k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be either then....

On manual Subaru's & in Chevy's case the Trailblazer SS they used viscous center diffs with no lockup that tried to keep the power always at 50/50. If a difference occurred the fluid would heat up and cause a semi-lock condition to try and bring it back in check.

Yours could be that or a center diff with planetary gears which from what I read keeps it 60/40 which might also have some form of lockup. Depends though...

Taking the vin to a dealer should let you know for sure.

I had an 03 Yukon that was AWD that I bought used with 50K on it. My first test drive I noticed the front diff was whining ....they rebuilt it.....I do not know what kind of history that vehicle had....but other than that...I loved and miss that truck.

If it's a 1500....It should have a 4L65E, I called my powertrain engineer buddy that works at the Arlington assembly plant. He said 1500 SUV's with LQ4 & LQ9 engines got 4L65E's....2500's got the 4L80E with a LQ4 & A 4L85E(HD) with the L18 big block, LM7's came with a 4L60E.

That is what I thought. I can't think of one half ton that has the 4L80E.
L18, is the 8.1. They also received a 5 speed Allison in truck form. The Van and the SUV with the 8.1 got the 4L85E. I don't think the Allison fit in either of those.
The L29 7.4 Vortec had the 4L80E
The L21, a different version of the 7.4 Vortec got an early 4 speed version of the Allison.

denali.jpg

Trav,

The would be correct. A 6.0 Yukon XL is a Suburban, engine Code U is a 3/4 truck. That is why the 4L80E.
The Truck they speak of maybe the Sierra C3, while badged as 1500 it is actually what a 2500 would be or later down the road a 1500HD on the Chevy side, so I guess that is the half ton that got the 4L80E.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike. I only mentioned it because as i understood it the other poster said it would have to be a 7.1 to have the 4L80E.
The Newer U code Yukon XL 6.0 (2006) uses the 4L65-E while the N code uses the 4L80E but i was looking for those in ones the vintage he is looking at.

As GM is using the Denali name on the Chevy line in Canada i thought they may have used the heavier transmission on the 01 and 02 models possibly the rebadged Sierra C3 you mentioned.
It seems the 5.3 engines all got the lighter unit.

I've got a 2006 GMC Sierra Denali which is the pickup version of your SUV with the 6.0L/AWD and LOVE IT! The AWD and the M32 4L65e trans is bullet proof and tows well. My year was rated 345hp and the one you have will be 325hp - more than enough. The base 6.0L in the regular Silverados was 300hp.

ONE KEY NOTE!! If you change the transfer case fluid, it calls for DEXRON III. Do NOT use DEXRON 6 as it is NOT backwards compatible in transfer case use. There is a GM bulletin out that states this along with a part# to use that is gear oil. Don't use that - use MOBIL 1 ATF fluid that is Dexron spec'd. All I have ever used and does great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
If it's a 1500....It should have a 4L65E, I called my powertrain engineer buddy that works at the Arlington assembly plant. He said 1500 SUV's with LQ4 & LQ9 engines got 4L65E's....2500's got the 4L80E with a LQ4 & A 4L85E(HD) with the L18 big block, LM7's came with a 4L60E.

That is true. I also work at Arlington in engineering and you must be talking about Doug.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Trav,

The would be correct. A 6.0 Yukon XL is a Suburban, engine Code U is a 3/4 truck. That is why the 4L80E.
The Truck they speak of maybe the Sierra C3, while badged as 1500 it is actually what a 2500 would be or later down the road a 1500HD on the Chevy side, so I guess that is the half ton that got the 4L80E.

The Sierra C3 was a one year only model..it became the DENALI afterwards. It was 1/2 ton and 6.0L

Originally Posted By: Trav
Thanks for clearing that up Mike. I only mentioned it because as i understood it the other poster said it would have to be a 7.1 to have the 4L80E.
The Newer U code Yukon XL 6.0 (2006) uses the 4L65-E while the N code uses the 4L80E but i was looking for those in ones the vintage he is looking at.

As GM is using the Denali name on the Chevy line in Canada i thought they may have used the heavier transmission on the 01 and 02 models possibly the rebadged Sierra C3 you mentioned.
It seems the 5.3 engines all got the lighter unit.

7.1 engine?

I thought there was a 6.0L gasoline engine, an 8.1L gasoline engine, and no sizes in between the two.

Your right its a not a 7.1 but a 7.4 and that was earlier than these. My mistake.
I did some injectors for one a while ago for a member here but don't remember the year.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
So the only "half ton" with a 4L80E is the Silverado 1500HD.

Their just light duty 2500 crew cabs, Adding the crew cab may have reduced the payload to the point they could no longer be called 2500's?

I think they were basically 3/4 ton gasser running gear. So 6.0, 4L80E, and 9.5 inch rear it is not full floating. It is Semi-floating. The 2500HD and up have the bigger 10.5 (6.0) or 11.5 (Dmax and 8.l) full floaters. Different frames and suspension packages.
There is other stuff but I am forgetting right now.
The 2500 became the the 1500HD.

The whole 1500-2500-3500 has been diluted quite a bit by the marketers. Only the 3500 trucks have been left alone as the top heavy duty cargo and tow trucks.

Ford started it years ago with their plethora of 250 models. We could buy a light duty 3/4 ton 250 all the way up to a full one ton beefed up model that was STILL a 250. Now GM is doing it too.

Sure hope they don't start monkeying around with the 3500 series and varying their payloads...

Sorry guys. I was mistaken on the model. Apparently its a Sierra C3.

My girl loves it. It's loaded with every possible option.

But she was driving yesterday and it just died. I changed the fuel filter,and checked the pump which is pumping fuel fine.

When I try to start it it turns over but won't fire. And it's making a funny sound coming from the pedal area.
I was thinking maybe the throttle position sensor was shot.
It's got an aftermarket stereo. Does that mess up the alarm and would that cause a no start condition.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back