clogged oil filter cause rod knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, well i started my first auto rx treatment about 600 miles ago. and today i started to get some rod knock on start up. well i think it started today, since my car is pretty load...its hard to hear things like that. im just wondering if a heavily soiled or clogged oil filter would cause that. my oil pressure is fine, but it just takes about 4 seconds for it to rise. im running delo 400 and M1 mix. or could that be my problem. any help would be appreciated since this is my daily driver with 200k miles on it. oh yeah, its an 89 ford mustang 5.0L. thanks for all the help guys

Are you sure it is rod knock? Your engine has forged pistons, that are known to make noise when they are cold, as forged pistons expand much more than cast or hypereutectic pistons when hot.

Unless the forged pistons are to develope noise as time goes on, then from what ecu50 said it would appear to be something new, and his question his his best guess relating to what's different as of late.

ecu50 - why don't you just change the filter out and add a little oil to top-off instead of waiting for what might just be theoretical? Not meaning to sound like a hard#$@, but...

yeah, im pretty sure it is rod knock. ive worked on cars for the past 5 yrs or so since i was in high school and have rebuilt motors before. its definetly not piston slap like youre talking about. i guess ill have to get up early tomorrow and see if i can change the filter before work. ive got an extra one anyways. i kind of hope that is the problem since i dont really want to have to rebuild the motor right now

well i just changed the filter on my car (i couldnt wait until tomorrow morning. i cranked the car up and let it idle for about a minute just to get stuff movin around...shut the car off and took the filter off. well, no oil came out of the filter or the block at the oil filter. i flipped the filter upside down in the drain pan and it slowly started seeping very black and gooey oil. so i guess the auto rx is already working...and i guess my motor is really dirty. ill have to wait till tomorrow to see if the motor knocks at all

ps. ill have to cut the filter open tomorrow and snap some pics for yall.

Well it is doubtful that a cloged filter would ever cause rod knock you should have a bypass in the filter and in the oil pump system to prevent this from happening! 4 seconds to buid up oil presure is not a factor at all. Most vechiles get positive pressure right away but take up to 30 seconds to build full pressure. In light piston powered aircraft most owners adn schools use 30-60 second as a general rule of thumb for oil pressure or you shut the engine down! I had a dodge that took 13 seconds to build full pressure.

If the filter is pluged up I would sugest that the neglect that lead to that much sludge is the casue of any unusaly sounds like rod knock! You can alway change the filter and see if the sound goes away!

i changed the oil less than 800 miles ago and before that it was changed every 3k miles since ive had the car (20k miles). ive never had a knock like that before. ill just have to see if the problem goes away tomorrow. im wondering if it has anything to do with the oil that im running and the auto rx cleaning everything out and the oil just being thick. oh well, ill cut the filter open tomorrow and see what is in there

i just had my room mate start my car up while i stood outside and i heard no knocking at all...so im almost positive that it solved the problem. im gonna cut the filter open tomorrow and take some pics if it looks bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back