Overfilled 2004 Honda Civic engine oil ~ 1.5 quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Four quarts, four stones, if you want it done right, this is how:

thumbsup2.gif

If you don't have tools/equipments to change oil yourself, bring with you your oil choice (and filter) but with the quantity that your car needs.

When I was lazy, I brought with me slightly less amount (6-10 oz less) for my cars, my mechanic even let me pour the oil into the engine myself. The next day I checked the level after overnight parking and top off if needed.

When I had my mechanic changed ATF for my LS400 12-14 years ago, I gave him 6 quarts ATF +2 and filter I bought online. In the evening when I picked up the car he gave me back 1.5 quarts. I measured what came out and replaced with the same amount. Test drove and checked the fluid level at appropriate temp and topped off few oz to get proper level.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you don't have tools/equipments to change oil yourself, bring with you your oil choice (and filter) but with the quantity that your car needs.

When I was lazy, I brought with me slightly less amount (6-10 oz less) for my cars, my mechanic even let me pour the oil into the engine myself. The next day I checked the level after overnight parking and top off if needed.

When I had my mechanic changed ATF for my LS400 12-14 years ago, I gave him 6 quarts ATF +2 and filter I bought online. In the evening when I picked up the car he gave me back 1.5 quarts. I measured what came out and replaced with the same amount. Test drove and checked the fluid level at appropriate temp and topped off few oz to get proper level.

I would take only the required amount of oil to a mechanic if I ever go for an oil change again.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
what kind of car and engine? Its probably ok

It's a 2004 Honda Civic LX, takes only 3.4 quarts..

Originally Posted By: CivicLX
What do you guys think? could there be any damage?

Did the crankshaft hit the top of the oil pool? You'll never know unless you install a clear plexiglass oil pan.

Sounds like you were good to catch the overfill so quickly! It's a shame it wasted your extra oil for top up later if needed.

I'm glad you caught it so fast.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
My ramps kept sliding forward trying to climb with my Grand Marquis today. Did the Sable and it went up fine. Same ramps, same garage and general location. floor is smooth concrete. I even tried 2x4 to get a higher start on the ramp but it still pushed them. Think it might be the RWD vs FWD but not sure. Not hitting the frame either. Any suggestions. I might try a 2x4 behind ramps against the wall to keep from pushing but might hurt the drywall unless I put a board against the wall too

I had the same problem with my ramps sliding on my smooth garage floor. My solution was simple and already on hand. I cut two pieces of the rubber-like drawer liner and placed them under the ramps. It actually keeps my ramps from sliding on the floor making it easy to get my cars up. When done, they fold up like a big napkin and store easy in a drawer or cabinet.

A good mechanic checks the oil level after filling. I run the engine for several minutes, shut off the engine and 5+ minutes later, check the oil level and looks for any leaks. JMW. Ed

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: spk2000
My ramps kept sliding forward trying to climb with my Grand Marquis today.
Try it out in the drive way.

Texture of the PC concrete or asphalt might be better there.
This.

I service a Grand Marquis and 2 Marauders and never had any sliding in the driveway.

Don't worry about it.

Next time, tape a piece of paper on the steering wheel with the capacity. In many shops, the oil and tire changers are not the sharpest wrenches.

At least you know they put in what you gave them. Some will take your oil, and give you what's in their tank.

Your car will be okay. When we had my girlfriend's Civic in the shop and they changed the oil without our permission, they apparently put in 1 quart extra and I just ended up draining out the excess after I noticed a few hundred miles later. It didn't seem to harm anything. Just another reminder NOT to let anyone else do my oil changes unless absolutely necessary.

My cousin drove my pathfinder for 3-4 years. Try gave it back to me because it started smokin real bad and not runnin right. Sure enough, he had put around 8-10 qts in a 4 qt sump. Replaced PCV valve and now there is only a little smoke at start up.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
...At least you know they put in what you gave them...

or they just put in the volume he supplied!

I'd find a new mechanic. What if he had not brought in his own oil? No telling how much oil would have gone in anyways. A GOOD mechanic would look up the quantity BEFORE doing the job AND checked the dipstick. Implying he has to take in 3.4 quarts is ridiculous.
Who knows what else is being assumed in that shop? Bolts tight enough? This gasket looks alright. Etc., etc.

I would take only the required amount of oil to a mechanic if I ever go for an oil change again. [/quote]

For years I did all my oil and filter changes, but due to my age and medical issues, I now bring my vehicle to WalMart. At WM, I am able to watch the entire process, and talk to to the oil tech as he is working on my vehicle.

My vehicle takes 4.5 quarts with filter, but I pre-lube the filter (bought eariler), so it takes about 4.25 quarts.

THIS IS IMPORTANT! I give the WM oiltech my 5 quart jug, of which I removed (at home) .75 of a quart, thus he has exactly the correct amount of oil needed for my vehicle.....and I ask him to return to me the empty 5 quart jug.

Works every time, and there is never an overfil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back