Another XJ6 project car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow oil fairies,

Thinking about buying this XJ6 for a fun weekend car. However as with any project cars I buy, there are a few things that must be in ok condition before I walk away. This being the power train. The engine seems to be making a ticking noise, not sure if this is a future issue. The oil pressure gauge shows zero, but this is incorrect, since a separate pressure gauge shows good news. However there is very little rust. The trunk seems to be in order. The floor pans are good also.

Here is the video I just posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy_Ipi9t7k4

I apologize for the poor video, it was something I took with my phone just to send it to a friend by text message.

And here are some pictures.
2ivnz8i.jpg

opa6hy.jpg

8vsnj8.jpg

2vba2yg.jpg

p23o7.jpg

Last edited:
When I buy a project I figure I must have 2 out of 3:

-- good running gear
-- no rust
-- nice interior.

You seem to only have the interior.

But buy this car, and keep us up to date. It will amuse me.

The $14,000 car is bit much, but the other is respectable. Even if the cost is more in the end, there is something so great about giving a great car a second chance at life.

eljefino- that post was funny

clinebarger- Alot of people do this to Jags, including E-Types. I have yet to wonder why. The sound the engines make is not right, and it takes the charactor away from the car. In England, a chevy transplant in a jag is called a lump crunch, there are a few other names for it to.

Jaguar engines (pre 95)are very reliable, if driven correctly and maintained, which costs much less than most people think. Sure there were a few lemons, but there was a lemon to every single car model ever made. If I get this car (which I think I'll run) or any other Jag I will own, it'll have a Jag engine. They are just that good.

Also the noise was tracked down to a knocking fuel pump.

I owned a fantastic V8 conversion that was so quiet you could have never told what engine was involved. Full AC, PS, and all the trimmings. Took my parents to a funeral once, hauled all 5 of us in cool quiet comfort.

Personally I believe it is an excellent idea. One of my wealthiest friends in my 20's was a British Leyland mechanic. They are always really busy...

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Small Block Chevy.....

Like finger painting over a Van Gogh...

Its a great solution for ham fisted moron mechanics that can't figure out a motor beyond a 350 Chevy.

Last edited:
My first impulse was to say that I wouldn't touch a lump with a ten foot pole. And I think if it were an old tech iron V8, that would still be my reaction. But an LSx motor in a series III, that really might have a bit of merit - a sleeper with class.

Still, If I wanted a Jag with a V8, I'd just get an Xj8 ( oh wait, I did ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back