84 mpg. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
Why do people call this a death trap? It's no different than a motorcycle.

Because it is a death trap. And so is a motorcycle.

It only takes one idiot to change lanes without looking on the freeway at 70 mph into you on a motorcycle and you turn into hamburger meat. Either that or you get run over multiple times on the freeway and die.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I see. Thankfully, no one dies in cars.

"According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars."

http://www.motorcycleaccident.org/motorcycle-accidents-statistics-and-possible-causes/

Yeah.

3 wheels, a cage, and some air bags probably makes it pretty close to as safe as a small car, maybe twice as likely to be in a fatal accident? Many 7k used cars won't have side air bags either, so for some accidents the Elio might be better.
I'm sure all of us do some activities that are many many times as dangerous as sitting at a computer, that cost us lots more money rather than save some, but we don't just stay on BITOG all day...

"According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars."

http://www.motorcycleaccident.org/motorcycle-accidents-statistics-and-possible-causes/

Yeah.

Cool. When I die, at least I'll know I had fun, and didn't spend my days not doing things because they weren't safe.

I've subscribed. Sounds like an interesting concept. I'd like to see final numbers and all, but with the ~85% highway 110 mile commute I'm about to have, this would be refreshing to the wallet.

5 speed please.

Yeah.

Yeah... and we'll just assume you don't leave the house at all, because of the risk involved?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Yeah... and we'll just assume you don't leave the house at all, because of the risk involved?

That nails it.
wink.gif

We're simply not going to get 84 mpg driving around 5,000 lb rollcages on wheels. Vehicle safety is important, but the ultimate protection is to not get in a collision in the first place.

If people don't like motorcycles, they're free to not drive them. We needn't bother those who do wish do drive them.

^ its all on a scale... from 5,000 lb SUV to motorcycle. The Elio will fit on the scale closer to a motorcycle, but also perhaps above a 90's econobox.

Safety ratings are simply another factor in vehicle purchasing.

I know I feel far more at risk when I ride my bike to work, vs driving!

The Elio is interesting, but I'm sure a surfboard rack would kill hwy mpg - I can get by without a rack in my current vehicles quite easily.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Safety ratings are simply another factor in vehicle purchasing.

I know I feel far more at risk when I ride my bike to work, vs driving!

Exactly. I might be pretty safe driving a Unimog around town here. That doesn't mean it's a good idea with respect to other aspects of vehicle ownership and usage.
wink.gif

Way to go BITOG. Take information about a new and exciting approach to commuting and bog it down with talk of motorcycle safety.

If you're afraid of motorcycles this thread is probably not for you. If you require a 5000+ lb tank to feel safe....... there's likely nothing in the "economy" category that will work for you.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Way to go BITOG. Take information about a new and exciting approach to commuting and bog it down with talk of motorcycle safety.

If you're afraid of motorcycles this thread is probably not for you. If you require a 5000+ lb tank to feel safe....... there's likely nothing in the "economy" category that will work for you.

Thank you.

I have to admit I'm intrigued by this (particularly the "refreshed" modern version...the Geo Metro interior is pretty nasty). I'd really like to test drive one if they ever actually produce them (c'mon guys, you would too). That doesn't mean I'd actually BUY one (I drive over 2,000 miles a month for my job...not sure this would be comfortable enough...but who knows?). I spent some time researching the Elio on the web...it doesn't appear that they've actually produced anything drivable except the prototype with the Geo Metro engine and interior. I wonder what type of transmission it would have (automatic or CVT?). Time will tell if they have the investors, manufacturing facilities and nerve to actually make it to market. Still, it looks interesting.

I know they're trying to keep the cost on this as low as possible, and that is absolutely commendable... but how sweet would it be to pack one of Ford's new turbocharged I-3s in this thing?

120ish horsepower in this thing would be a RIOT. The best part is it would probably still get extremely good fuel economy given that Ford's engine can push a real car to 45 mpg.

I've put my hat in to buy one already. I like the idea of 84 mpg and they look pretty cool as well.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I've put my hat in to buy one already. I like the idea of 84 mpg and they look pretty cool as well.

Let us know how it goes for you. Hopefully the cars run well.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Let us know how it goes for you. Hopefully the cars run well.

It's a lot more interesting than the bulk of the econoboxes out there.
wink.gif
I suspect getting one registered up here would be a serious chore. And, if I'd die of hypothermia driving it in December, there wouldn't be much point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back