1996 Civic Power Steering Fluid & Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my power steering fluid is original...178k & 18 years old...now I will be changing the fluid soon.

Methods: 2 People will be used to insure the reservoir doesn't run dry.

1. Put the front on jack stands and turn the wheel side to side until clear fluid comes out while the engine is off.

or

2. Run the engine and just wait till the fluid comes out clear.

Which method would you guys recommend?

Also I was on rockauto.com and I realized there is a power steering filter for this car A-1 CARDONE Part # 20P038F? that one seem like it could or would fit, I do have cruise control which is right next to the power steering fluid reservoir where the return line is located. I hope these pictures work.
2ug156p.jpg

13yff3p.jpg

suy6us.jpg

Let me know if I can install that filter or not.

I can't help any on the filter situation, but I definitely would NOT recommend doing a full PS fluid flush on your car. Since that fluid is all very old, swapping it all out for brand new fluid could cause leaks to pop up. I would just do a bunch of reservoir drain/fills using a turkey baster or soap pump. Do it maybe once a week for a few months. True, you'll be using more fluid in the end and you'll never get 100% of the old fluid out, but this is a much safer way to maintain a system which has not been given any attention for nearly 2 decades.

I bought my Civic at 12 years old w/ 140k miles and minimal maintenance. I simply emptied the PS (turkey baster or syphon) and refilled - took exactly one bottle of Honda PS fluid.

No need to go overboard. Do this 2-3 times over a few weeks, if you're really wanting to get all new fluid in there.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I bought my Civic at 12 years old w/ 140k miles and minimal maintenance. I simply emptied the PS (turkey baster or syphon) and refilled - took exactly one bottle of Honda PS fluid.

No need to go overboard. Do this 2-3 times over a few weeks, if you're really wanting to get all new fluid in there.

This is your best option, after about 4 or 5 bottles of Honda PS fluid you should have cycled most of it out. It may take more since yours is so old fluid though.

Any filter you find will be a universal inline filter, if your fluid is original you will probably clog the fresh filter. I wouldn't bother anyway just keep emptying the reservoir and adding fresh until you are satisfied with the cleanness of the fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like surfstar's method. In fact I may do this on my 19 year Legend in the coming weeks. Now, where can I find these turkey basters everyone keeps mentioning?

Originally Posted By: JavierG

I like surfstar's method. In fact I may do this on my 19 year Legend in the coming weeks. Now, where can I find these turkey basters everyone keeps mentioning?

I bought one from Walmart, it was terrible as it didn't hold suction and kept leaking. Returning it today.

Buying one from bed bath & beyond today for 5 dollars and change, will update once I'm sure of how it functions.

Last edited:
no no no, just take the baster and tape the seal where the bulb connects to the tube, I've bought 5 turkey basters from random places for this over the years and they have all done that.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Used/discarded Shampoo pump works great siphoning fluid in power steering reservoir and brake fluid reservoir.

Genius!!
cheers3.gif

So I can do this to change out the brake fluid as well (also over a 2-3 week period)? With a seperate pump of course. Don't want to contaminate the fluids.

Last edited:
I use the turkey baster method for brake fluid not only just immediately before a flush but a couple of times for a few weeks before my flush. The main reason is that I want to get fresher fluid into the ABS circuits which are not flushed in all cars during brake flushing. So I drain and fill and then engage the ABS a few times. The first time I did this, the new fluid in the reservoir turned green indicating copper corrosion which I presume was released from the ABS circuits.

But nearer the calipers, I don't think much mixing occurs and a flush is better than brake fluid drain and fills.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
a flush is better than brake fluid drain and fills.

+1 I just did a complete brake fluid change on my three cars, significantly cleaner on my civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back