How did you come across BITOG ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly, I came across a reference to Bobistheoilguy on the PTEnthusiasts web site. That web site is long gone, I think it got folded into a Mopar web site. That was back when the PT Cruiser was first introduced. It was a good web site, very civil, similar to this web site. There was a fellow from Brampton, Ontario, that organized a yearly event "Cruise the Falls" at Niagara Falls (Canada side, of course). It was a fun event, with many, many, Cruisers attending. He donated the proceeds to a children's charity. A good fellow.

I'm not sure how. I think I had seen mentioned this "bitog" a number of times. I see my first post was about if I could do topside oil changes on our civic. Got some decent info about how to do it, proper use of jacks and ramps kept around afterwards.

Edit: never mind. I came in '08 about the civic, then not again until '11 when I wanted advice about getting my Camry! Sorta makes sense, got all that advice, wound up letting a neighbor do the oil change on the civic anyhow.

Last edited:
I was trying to find information on QS Defy, and this site kept coming up in the search results. Had also seen the acronym in the YouTube comments section.

I believe I heard about it from a guy on the Corvette forum. Around 2000-2001? Was doing a lot of driving and starting hearing more about synthetic oil and extended drains. Found this site and became hooked ever since.

I read some posts by Bob on an automotive website- can't remember the name, but it is(or used to be) pretty well known. Can't think of the name of it. That was probably in late 2000 or maybe in 2001, when BITOG was still in the old format.

I was researching 20 grades in mod motors. Saw a link on the corral or someone mentioned it and I came over.
It's now the only site I go to,except YouTube and of course Facebook.

I don't remember. I do remember that I lurked for a while then registered and posted, and could never log in again. Finally I created a new username and have been using it for the last few years.

I suspect I was researching motorcycle related oil stuff.

Last edited:
I think it was when Zinc and other additives started getting reduced and since I am always around racing and old car restorations I started wanting to learn more about oils.

Had seen it referenced several times on ExplorerForum, and was also coming up as a top search result from Google when I was trying to decide upon which ATF and oil filter to go with.

I wanted to find out more about oil and find the best bang for the buck for my applications almost 10 years ago...did a search before Google was a thing...

Last edited:
Stumbled across the site when I was trying to find out what the specifics of VW 502.00. I wanted to know if M1 HM 10W-30 would be an acceptable substitution for my Audi.

Now, it the one site that I visit at least once a day during the week. I think I've probably found more information on non-oil topics here than oil related ones. Really a good collection of knowledge on so many subjects.

Came across this site when I was searching for "best synthetic oil" in mid 2003. There some long posts by Bob that I read and others that got hooked me as there was knowledge I never found before.

The responses were live long rally exchanges of info between posters and waiting in anticipation what was to come next. Used to stay up to read the tennis matches. Some of the passion has gone and sometimes it gets ugly now between posters.

The feeling has never been the same since the early days.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that if you wanted more info. on oil/filters than you really needed, go to this site.

I did, now I know too much and no body really cares!

I came across it when I purchased a new 2004 Freestar 3.9L. It was my first 5w20 vehicle, and I just couldn't believe that thin of oil was safe.
smile.gif
I also didn't believe MC5w20 could be any good for only ~$1.56/qt on Walmart's shelf.

Researching something better than Mercruiser outdrive fluids....Bob got on and we discussed all things marine.

I can't really remember, it's been 9 years. Possibly I came from a link posted on the old Mercedesshop.com (now Peachtree Parts, I think). I lurked for a while, then in the fall of '05 -- off work from the Katrina chaos, and having little to do -- I signed up.

SHOZ (I believe) was talking about Auto-RX on taurusclub.com. I joined up ... don't think I actually did much posting until a year or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back