GC 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virgin sample of Castrol Syntec 0w30, analyzed by Polaris Labs.

Elemental Analysis, ppm:
Iron, 1
Silicon, 2
Sodium, 2
Magnesium, 512
Calcium, 1899
Phosphorous, 920
Zinc, 1023

KV100 = 11.7

TBN = 9.64

Oxidation = 5
Nitration = 6

This replaced PU in my Camaro when I changed oil a couple of weeks ago. I noticed a step change in oil pressure from 38 to 50 psi at 1700 rpm cruise with GC. The piston slap at idle when warmed up seems louder than with PU.

Oil is overadditised for long drain - give it 1500 miles to settle in and noise should be somewhat abated.
BTW, Oil pressure seems too high.

Thanks!

Looks like no change since the last time we had a VOA done on this oil.

What was the production date on the stuff you had analyzed?

Originally Posted By: tstep
always thought the Kv100 was around 12.2??

A $20 UOA is not an exact science. Plus, there is often batch to batch variation. 11.7 is close enough, IMO.

This is German Castrol that I bought last year at AZ on a 5qts+filter deal for $32. I figured what the heck, I've always wanted to try it, so I might as well take advantage of the sale.

The bottles say "Made in Germany" on the back.

The KV100 on the PDS is 12.2, so it's running a little light.
The TBN should be 10.3, so it's a little short on that, too.

I seem to remember that Calcium used to be 2400 back in the good old days. Does anybody remember for sure?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I seem to remember that Calcium used to be 2400 back in the good old days. Does anybody remember for sure?

Back when it was green, Calcium was around 2700-2800...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...port#Post475261

That was some 10+ years ago.

Your VOA is very similar to this one from 2011:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...0_S#Post2365765

Too bad you didn't have the latest "Made in Belgium" version tested. It would put to rest any rumors whether there was any change to the formula as a result of manufacturing location change.

Did Polaris test for boron, or was there just none in there, so you did not post it up?
21.gif

I've always kind of chuckled at the simple add pack this oil uses, although it meets most of the same Euro certs as M1 0W-40.
It also has very similar levels of the ads the two share in common, although GC has less Calcium along with a much larger slug of Magnesium as compared to the M1.
Where's the moly?
Where's the boron?
There isn't any.
I wonder what blend of basetocks Castrol uses in GC?
This oil does meet some demanding certs, and that isn't due to an outstanding add pack.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Did Polaris test for boron, or was there just none in there, so you did not post it up?
21.gif

Polaris tests for it.
I only posted the non-zero elements.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Since it's classified as "full synthetic" in Germany, it has to be predominantly group IV/V. Although the German Castrol 0w-30 was recently reformulated, so this may have changed now.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Since it's classified as "full synthetic" in Germany, it has to be predominantly group IV/V. Although the German Castrol 0w-30 was recently reformulated, so this may have changed now.

Given the very basic add pack combined with the certs this oil meets, I've always thought that it must have a pretty high quality basestock blend.
I've used it in applications that didn't really need such a high HTHSV oil and it seemed to be fine, although I did no UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back