Thinking about leaving the GF

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post really doesn't make a lot of sense.
In what sense are you not attracted to her?
Sexually?
Sex is driven by emotional attachment as much as it is by lust.
Lust waxes and wanes but attachment remains.
From what you've written in your posts, you're very compatibale with the woman.
Kids?
I love our grown sons and am very proud of them for the grit they've exhibited, after I spent a few years thinking that I'd given them no strong values.
Still, kids should not be a deal-breaker after all of the years you've spent with this woman.
What's really going on here.
Are you just in a funk?
That happens.
I can assure you that the grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence, but it rarely is once you get there.
If you really want to leave this woman, you should.
You can probably expect a couple of years of vindictive retribution, which will vary in effect depending upon how well connected she is with your network, social as well as vocational.
I allowed a younger woman at work to become very attached to me emotionally a few years back, even though I had no intention of consumating this relationship in any way.
I regarded her as a close friend.
Silly me.
The retribution was fierce and unrelenting and lasted a little over two years.
Made for an intersting and difficult couple of years at work.
You can expect much worse after twelve years.
Might as well wear a sign saying "untouchable", since you will be.
You're also old enough that many single women will wonder how it is that you've never been married, and a story about having spent twelve years with a woman and then having left her won't be encouraging.
Good luck to you!

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

I just feel that if I don't take this chance now, when I'm still relatively attractive and can easily raise some kids etc.

How do you know that you can easily raise some kids? Have you already fathered a child? Has your sperm been tested?

Seriously, if not, then get tested first. I would hate to see you dump this good woman for her not wanting kids, then finding out after the parting of ways, that you cannot produce a kid either.

OP has been with the same woman for 12 years and no "accidents". I became a first time father at age 34, my life changed dramatically. I pretty much work, babysit and watch cartoons all the time with my 2 year old. In order to have time for myself, I use my vacation time.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
OP has been with the same woman for 12 years and no "accidents". I became a first time father at age 34, my life changed dramatically. I pretty much work, babysit and watch cartoons all the time with my 2 year old. In order to have time for myself, I use my vacation time.

No doubt. I love my kids wouldn't change it for anything, but it changes everything. Spent last weekend at The Great Wolf Lodge. Instead of a 70,000 dollar Corvette or CTS-V, I have a 3/4 ton truck and a trailer so we can do family friendly things. All that stuff is great and I have grown to love it, but if you are used to 12 years with no kids, you better make sure it is what you want. Had my first kid at 31, he is now 8 the little one will be 6 next month.

It changes your life and the dynamics of your relationship. You are not number one anymore and it is most certainly not about you.

None of my business but since you asked, sounds like you think the grass is greener somewhere else. Everything loses it's luster/newness after awhile. It is what you do to keep it new. Everyone goes through rough patches, it is how you get through them that makes all the difference.

On a lighter note...there are a few cartoons I do enjoy watching with the boy. We laugh at the same goofy stuff.
smile.gif

Perhaps there was a time when the man was the breadwinner, and the mother stayed home raising kids, perhaps one income was enough to support a family, I dunno but it sure is tough now days to raise kids with both parents working and the daycare prices etc. That being said, im 31 and have a 3 and half year old son and one on the way. It is a sacrifice raising kids but I couldn't imagine myself without them.
I hear that more and more couples don't want to have kids now days, family is very important to me, that's the way I was raised and im going to do my best to raise my kids that way.

The grass is probably greener on the other side - go for it, if you think you must have it.

But remember that you'll have to mow it and pull the weeds out of that grass, too.

20's you learn who you are. People can grow together or apart. 30's is more settlement for most folks.

This sounds like apart move on.

Be thankful you were not crazy to get married in the <28 year old range.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

We started dating back in University when I was 21 and she was 20. She treated me better (and continues to) than anyone I've ever been with (mind you, she's my 2nd REAL girlfriend...the only one I've ever lived with too). I honestly love her and we have a great time together, but I'm just not really attracted to her...haven't really been for years, but I truly loved her for her personality and how she makes me feel.

we tried getting married once, but that failed. We called off the engagement, and decided that since we both love each other and just dont' really want to get "married", that we'd just keep things as they were. Worked for a while, but I feel like I'm getting older and my priorities are changing. She strongly doesn't want kids ...ever. She's been clear on that point for the past 12 years, and has never changed. I respect her for that.

I just re-read your original post....I think maybe you need to re-read it as well. Sounds like a lot of answers lay within your questions.

OP, the women aren't always pinker on the other side...

Physical attraction is only a small part of the relationship equation. Does your current partner attract you emotionally, spiritually, and mentally? Sure, my sex drive could "see" me with that hot ginger at the bank, but I doubt I could be as compatible with her as I am with my wife. Sure, she may not be "hot", but she is pretty in her many little ways. That to me is the real appeal. We act alike, think alike and have the same views and opinions.

On the topic of kids, why? What's push? Would either of you two entertain the notion of adopting? Perhaps that could be middle ground for you both. There are tons of kids that would be happy to have a good home. With proper parenting, they would grow up as you want them to and carry on your views, opinions and values.

My input. If you have to ask anonymous people on an internet forum about making a personal decision such as this, you should reattach the umbilical cord.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
My input. If you have to ask anonymous people on an internet forum about making a personal decision such as this, you should reattach the umbilical cord.

this is the best post that I've seen on any "relationship" thread.kudos to Trajan.

When people ask these type of question, the only reason is to get the validation for their predetermine decision. since this is internet, there would be always somebody who would side with him. The contrary advice is always ignored.

Meet a Latin woman, they are absolutely nuts about having lots and lots of children. Just ask anyone in a border town.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

I find something sad in this post. Is work, babysit and watching cartoons a bad thing? Is time by yourself outside of work such a necessity? Hate to out words in your mouth, but it reads that you resent having to do stuff with the kid and need to be alone.

I work, travel a fair amount, but try not to overnight away from home much. Just can't get enough of our 18 month old. It can be tiring for sure, but every moment isn't enough. I can't get enough of our time together. Time off is so we have more family time uninterrupted by bedtimes and work.

Not picking, just observing, and mine may be all wrong. But what the OP needs to get out of it is that there is a spectrum in terms of how folks deal with kids, and his current gf may be far on one end, but he needs to try to determine where he falls, not just that the grass is greener elsewhere...

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Meet a Latin woman, they are absolutely nuts about having lots and lots of children. Just ask anyone in a border town.

careful,
they also come in blond, tall and blue eyed.
or tall and beautiful.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

careful,
they also come in blond, tall and blue eyed.
or tall and beautiful.

which hasn't got anything to do with my post, it's just the culture and stuff where they love children; op was having issues with his gf not wanting kids, i pointed him in an easy, easy direction
wink.gif

Actually, you aren't that far off from providing a decent solution. My girlfriend is Mexican....and as such I've gotten to know the culture fairly well. Great people really and much more family based. Yes, many of the women do in fact desire to marry and have children. Most young Mexican gals from good homes often make fantastic wives and mothers. Sounds corny and sexist? Maybe so, but they can be like a step back in time...a good step. Treat a good Mexican woman with respect and love....and you'll be surprised at the result.
Just my opinion.

Treat any woman with respect and love and you can be surprised at the result. Just the same, there are some really unstable women out there too. It, in my opinion is not specific to nationality. Still, that being said, I'm sure Latin women are more family centric than women of other nationalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back