Wix/NAPA Gold vs Fram Ultra Synthetic (same price)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upon further review, I found my NAPA Gold receipt. NAPA Gold was $6.69 plus $0.42 tax for an out-the-door total of $7.11.

That makes the Wix (at "bulk" Amsoil PC cost) break even against the local NAPA Gold, and about $2.50 less than the Fram Ultra.

So... is the Fram Ultra worth that $2.50 per filter more than the Wix/NAPA Gold given a 6-month, 5-6K miles interval? Now that I've laid out the figures, I'm leaning toward no and sticking with Wix/NAPA Gold.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
So... is the Fram Ultra worth that $2.50 per filter more than the Wix/NAPA Gold given a 6-month, 5-6K miles interval? Now that I've laid out the figures, I'm leaning toward no and sticking with Wix/NAPA Gold.

Any thoughts?

I would use whichever is quieter on a cold start up.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why embarrass with Fram ?

Brand bigotry ...

The Fram hate is just like the PYB and QS hate. Running both will result in immediate engine failure.

All my vehicles I've ever had should have blown up then. I've run those combos plenty of times. Man I guess the car companies love me cause I run fram and pennzoil so I must be destroying the car and voiding my warranty...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Alotta guys will tell you to get the Fram - but if for some reason you gotta take your car to a mechanic and he puts the car up on a lift, you're gonna have to suffer the embarrassment of having a Fram on there.

there's an intelligent response....I know I'm living with embarrassment every day by having these on my vehicles.

Upon further review, I found my NAPA Gold receipt. NAPA Gold was $6.69 plus $0.42 tax for an out-the-door total of $7.11.

That makes the Wix (at "bulk" Amsoil PC cost) break even against the local NAPA Gold, and about $2.50 less than the Fram Ultra.

Any thoughts?

I don't pay 8.97 like you and many others do. I pay 7.63 through amazon, so to me it's a great filter and a great price.

Fram Ultra.

Its a better filter then the NAPA GOLD IMO.

Perhaps the Napa Platinum vs Fram Ultra would be a better vote.

but Fram Ultra is FULL SYN Oil filter and Napa Gold isnt.

However what I do like about the NAPA is the bypass.. Its at the top....

and FRAM is at the bottom and if the filter goes in bypass its possible it could pass oil over the filer and remove dirt.

However I woulnt think much since most dirt is trapped in the filter.

So as I said.. I pick FRAM ULTRA.

I cut one open and I was very impressed.

Any thoughts?

The fact that the Ultra has better filtering efficiency and probably flows better (ie, less delta-p across the media) than the NAPA Gold I would personally pay the slightly extra cost to run the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: David1
Fram Ultra.

Based on WIX's efficiency rating of their full synthetic XP (which is the same as the NAPA Platinum) of 50% @ 20 microns, the Ultra absolutely smokes the XP/Platinum in the efficiency spec. The Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns and greater. That's basically twice as efficient at filtering, which the main purpose of a filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: David1
Fram Ultra.

Based on WIX's efficiency rating of their full synthetic XP (which is the same as the NAPA Platinum) of 50% @ 20 microns, the Ultra absolutely smokes the XP/Platinum in the efficiency spec. The Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns and greater. That's basically twice as efficient at filtering, which the main purpose of a filter.

I have always stated here on the forum that I like the FU and would use it. But, given the choice between the FU and the the Platinum I would "probably " pick the Platinum.
27.gif
28.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I have always stated here on the forum that I like the FU and would use it. But, given the choice between the FU and the the Platinum I would "probably " pick the Platinum.
27.gif
28.gif

Why?

27.gif
28.gif

Why?

The bypass.

27.gif
28.gif

Why?

The bypass.

Location or design? I think the Platinum has a dome end bypass valve too.

Originally Posted By: subaroo
I don't pay 8.97 like you and many others do. I pay 7.63 through amazon, so to me it's a great filter and a great price.

I just looked at Amazon, and they have my Fram Ultra filter type listed for the same $8.97 as my local Walmart... and $7.62 per filter if purchased with "Subscribe and Save". I assume you have Fram Ultras delivered from Amazon on a set schedule to get that price, correct?

So given the overwhelming feedback in this thread, the Fram Ultra seems to be the better filter.

Is it safe to say it's the best filter currently on the market for the money?

So given the overwhelming feedback in this thread, the Fram Ultra seems to be the better filter.

My vote on that would be yes.

I would have to agree with that.

Originally Posted By: subaroo
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Alotta guys will tell you to get the Fram - but if for some reason you gotta take your car to a mechanic and he puts the car up on a lift, you're gonna have to suffer the embarrassment of having a Fram on there.

there's an intelligent response....I know I'm living with embarrassment every day by having these on my vehicles.

Or, is the filter embarrassed by the vehicles you've used it on?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

5-6k mile O/FCIs?

It won't matter one bit. Seriously, it simply won't matter. They are both excellent filters, and either is grossly under utilized at your planned interval. And since the cost is a wash, we might as well speak to other criteria ...

I'm curious as to what you feel would be "appropriately utilized" in this situation. I live in the Northeast and travel both highway and back roads daily, putting on 10-12K miles per year. Do you advocate for a once-a-year OCI? Or twice a year with less expensive materials? Or something else entirely?

If you think a Wix is overkill, then what do you think is appropriate for an oil, filter, and O/FCI?

5-6k mile O/FCIs?

It won't matter one bit. Seriously, it simply won't matter. They are both excellent filters, and either is grossly under utilized at your planned interval. And since the cost is a wash, we might as well speak to other criteria ...

I'm curious as to what you feel would be "appropriately utilized" in this situation. I live in the Northeast and travel both highway and back roads daily, putting on 10-12K miles per year. Do you advocate for a once-a-year OCI? Or twice a year with less expensive materials? Or something else entirely?

If you think a Wix is overkill, then what do you think is appropriate for an oil, filter, and O/FCI?

35.gif

This could get very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back